Cooked is the absolute best way to create & display recipes with WordPress. SEO optimized (rich snippets), galleries, cooking timers, printable recipes and much more. Check out the full list below.
Be sure to check out the online demo as well as the Cooked Documentation if you need some help!
Quality design & usability
Using the drag & drop recipe builder, you can create your recipes quickly and without limitations. Add ingredients, directions—and then add a gallery, nutrition facts, cooking times and much more.
Cooked automatically includes semantic structure and schema.org microdata into each and every recipe you publish. This allows Google to display your recipes across a variety of device sizes and platforms.
Many premium features already included
Most recipe plugins require that you purchase a PRO version for features like nutrition facts, galleries, powerful searching, timers, etc. The standard version of Cooked includes all of these. Here’s what you get out of the box:
- Drag & drop ingredients and directions.
- SEO Optimized – Google Structured Data and Schema.org support.
- Beautiful grid-based masonry recipe lists.
- Prep & Cooking Times
- Photo Galleries
- Nutrition Facts
- Difficulty Levels
- Powerful recipe search with a text search, categories & sorting options.
- Author template to list recipes by a single author.
- Cooking times with clickable, interactive timers.
- Very developer-friendly with loads of hooks & filters.
- Servings switcher to adjust ingredient amounts.
- And more to come…
Of course, if you want even more, you can always check out the PRO version of Cooked. It adds features like ratings & favorites, recipe submissions, and so much more.
Developers love it
Cooked has a whole bunch of actions and filters to customize Cooked as much as you need to. Be sure to check out the Developer Documentation.
- Upload the plugin files to the
/wp-content/plugins/cookeddirectory, or install the plugin through the WordPress plugins screen directly.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress.
- Use the Recipes > Settings screen to configure the plugin.
- Go to Recipes > Add New to start adding your recipes!
- Head over to the Cooked Documentation for more help.
Having issues with the plugin?
Be sure to check the Cooked Documentation for guides and documentation. If you’re still having issues, create a new support topic and let me know what’s going on. I’m happy to help! Please don’t post a bad review without discussing here first, I really appreciate it!
I purchased Cooked on CodeCanyon.net, is this the same thing?
This version is not the same plugin. It has been completely rebuilt from the ground up and has now completely replaced the original plugin. For more information on Cooked and Cooked Pro, check out https://cooked.pro. There is a migration assistant as well for those using the original plugin. See the documentation here: http://docs.cooked.pro/migration/
Contributors & Developers
“Cooked – Recipe Plugin” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“Cooked – Recipe Plugin” has been translated into 7 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Translate “Cooked – Recipe Plugin” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- FIX: Fixes an XSS vulnerability within the recipe search box.
- FIX: Fixes an issue with the Servings Switcher not being displayed correctly.
- FIX: Fixes an issue with the Servings Switcher not being displayed correctly.
- FIX: Fixes multiple vulnerabilities throughout the plugin. Updating is highly recommended!
- FIX: Fixes an XSS vulnerability with the Serving Size picker.
** NEW: Added an
inline_browse option to the
[cooked-search] shortcodes. Ex.
[cooked-browse inline_browse="true"] This will show the taxonomies inline and not require the “Browse” button being clicked to view them.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with large spaces between the recipe template shortcodes
- FIX: Fixed an issue with Vimeo videos in the gallery
- FIX: Removed “Section Headings” from recipe schema output.
- FIX: Another patch release for taxonomy title bugs (sorry!).
- FIX: This particular patch prevents the navigation items from getting renamed.
- FIX: Another patch release for taxonomy titles.
- FIX: Patch release for some quick taxonomy title fixes.
- FIX: Page titles are now updated on taxonomy pages (categories) when Browse Recipes page is used.
- FIX: An additional quick PHP 7.4 fix.
- FIX: Support for PHP 7.4 and WordPress 5.5.
- NEW: An optional recipe field has been added for “SEO Description”. In the Recipe Schema output, this field will take precedence over the “Excerpt” field.
- NEW: Added a new “Advanced” option to disable the recipe schema output that Cooked generates.
- FIX: Fixed the 404 errors on Fotorama PNGs.
- FIX: Fixed the issues with videos not playing in the Cooked Gallery.
- FIX: If Servings are set to “1”, you can now Half and Quarter them in the Servings Switcher.
- TWEAK: Widgets with images now load thumbnail sizes instead of the larger ones.
- TWEAK: Adds support for Cooked Pro 1.7.
- TWEAK: Moved Fotorama assets into plugin instead of relying on a CDN connection.
- TWEAK: Removed “imagesLoaded” script (no longer needed).
- TWEAK: Added new filter to single ingredient output (cooked_single_ingredient_html)
- FIX: A minor fix (thank you to @zorkman777)
- FIX: Adds support for Cooked Pro v1.6 (redirect fixes)
- TWEAK: WordPress 5.2 support
- FIX: Fixed an issue with the recipe list style changing back to default when using the “Load More on Scroll” and “Load More Button” pagination types.
- NEW: Design tweaks throughout.
- NEW: Browse dropdown now includes both parent and child taxonomies. Long lists get a scrollable area.
- NEW: Added an “exclude” property to the
[cooked-browse]shortcode. You can now exclude specific recipes by their ID. Learn More
- NEW: Added a “ding” sound to the end of timers. Use the “cooked_timer_sound_mp3” filter to change the MP3 file to anything you’d like (needs to be a publically available URL). Learn More
- FIX: Fixed some missing ingredient fractions.
- FIX: Fixed some minor PHP warnings.
- NEW: Added a widget to display a list of Recipe Categories.
- FIX: Minor fixes for recipe “Browse Page” breadcrumbs.
- TWEAK: Added new icon for BigOven save button (Pro feature).
- FIX: Added support for custom permalinks with slashes (i.e. “our-food/recipes”).
- FIX: Fixed a bug with the search form when multiple searh forms are on one page.
- NEW: WordPress 5.0 support.
- NEW: Added option under “General” to show Carbs as “Total Carbs” or “Net Carbs”.
- FIX: Recipe excerpt now allows for basic, safe HTML (links, bold, italic, etc.).
- FIX: Added actions to the recipe card shortcode so ratings/favorites will show up.
- FIX: Some minor “difficulty level” label fixes.
- FIX: Nutrition Facts now accepts “0” as an amount.
- FIX: Fixed the annoying “Settings Page Disappearing” issue!
- NEW: Elementor support. Now you can create your recipe templates with Elementor!
- NEW: Added a new “cooked_show_difficulty_level” filter so you can show whatever you want.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with the “Save as Default” and “Apply to All” feature.
- FIX: Added a fix to prevent Gutenberg from breaking the recipe edit screen.
- FIX: Fixed an unintentional redirect issue with the recipe RSS feed.
- FIX: Swapped the mismatched “servings” and “serving size” for recipe schema data.
- FIX: Fixed a filter issue that was preventing custom taxonomy queries in the
- TWEAK: Welcome screen style adjustments.
- TWEAK: Dropped support for PHP 5.6 (still works for now, just not testing with it anymore).
- NEW: New
[cooked-title]shortcode to display the recipe title (for recipe template).
- NEW: Added option to hide the Author images (avatars) throughout the site.
- NEW: Added option to disable the Author link (linking to the author page).
- NEW: Moved “Total Time” into its own field. Will show “Prep Time + Cook Time” by default.
- FIX: Fixed issues with editing recipe ingredients, directions, etc. on iPads (and other tablets).
- FIX: Fixed and issue with times not showing up correctly if over 1,440 minutes.
- FIX: Fixed some issues with Recipe Schema output.
- NEW: Improved support for Yoast SEO (and other SEO plugins).
- NEW: French translation added.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with some incorrect Percent Daily Values on the front-end.
- FIX: Fixed a padding issue on the recipe grid (on smaller screens).
- FIX: Bug fixes for the WooCommerce Memberships’ “Restrict Content” feature.
- NEW: Added support for WooCommerce Memberships’ “Restrict Content” feature.
- FIX: Fixed some issues with the [cooked-browse] shortcode.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with pagination on recipe taxonomy templates.
- NEW: When viewing a parent category, it will now display sub-category items instead of recipes. This allows you to nicely nest your categories if desired.
- TWEAK: Added some adjustments for “Dark Mode”.
- TWEAK: Added some adjustments to fix a few TwentySeventeen CSS conflicts.
- FIX: Fixed a major layout issue, sorry about that everyone!
- NEW: Added a “Dark Mode” setting for sites with dark backgrounds.
- NEW: Added a
[cooked-recipe-categories]shortcode to display all categories in a beautiful, visual grid.
- NEW: The recipe list style now uses the same design as Recipe Cards.
- TWEAK: Removed “Garnish” as an option. This was just confusing to most users who saw it.
- FIX: Fixed some styling issues with the search bar.
- TWEAK: Minor adjustments to support the new Cooked Pro 1.1.
- FIX: Fixed some issues with the Settings page on some servers.
- TWEAK: Now loading the dynamic CSS files as inline to fix caching/loading issues.
- TWEAK: Tweaked the migration feature to support MUCH larger recipe collections.
- FIX: Fixes conflicts with the Cooked Pro plugin.
- TWEAK: Updated the language template file.
- FIX: Fixes a PHP error occuring on a large number of servers.
- FIX: Fixed a few issues with the new shortcodes displaying strangely.
- NEW: “Cooked – Recipe List” Widget — Display a list of recipes.
- NEW: “Cooked – Recipe Card” Widget — Display a fancy recipe card.
[cooked-recipe-list]— Display a list of recipes.
[cooked-recipe-card]— Display a fancy recipe card.
- NEW: Added “Nutrition” to the print options.
- NEW: Added a complete migration solution to update recipes from Cooked Classic.
- TWEAK: Added a progress bar to the “Apply to All” recipe template updater.
- TWEAK: Added an option to disable the “Servings Switcher”.
- TWEAK: Full-screen mode has been refreshed a little bit. Mostly in the fact that the tabs are now at the top to avoid conflicts with the iPhone X.
- FIX: Fixed issues with slow loading times on recipe list pages.
- FIX: Fixed issues with the “Apply to All” template update feature.
- FIX: Fixed issues with the Default Template saving/loading buttons.
- FIX: Fixed an issue where “Authors” could not edit recipes.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with WPML not being able to translate recipe information.
- NEW: “Cooked – Recipe Search” Widget — Display the recipe search form.
[cooked-search]— Display the recipe search form.
- NEW: Added REST API support to recipes and recipe categories.
- TWEAK: Added the same “search” shortcode options to
[cooked-browse]so you can customize the recipe search bar from that shortcode as well. See the documentation for more shortcode options.
- TWEAK: Added some hooks and filters to the welcome screen to add the ability to include the Cooked Pro changelog information there as well.
- TWEAK: Direction images are formatted much better now (inline with the text and some margin below).
- TWEAK: Added an option to disable the “Servings Switcher”.
- TWEAK: Converted all CSS “em” values to “rem” values.
- FIX: Fixed a bug where posts were being duplicated when embedding “draft” recipes using the shortcode.
- FIX: Disabling Public Recipes will now work as intended. Recipes will be hidden from search results, recipe URLs redirected to the homepage, etc.
- FIX: Added some missing language strings.
- NEW: Added kg (kilograms) as a measurement option.
- FIX: Fixed an issue where zeros were being removed from large numbers.
- FIX: Recipes will now 404 if “Disable Public Recipes” is active.
- FIX: Minor CSS adjustments throughout.
- Adjusted some code to support the upcoming Cooked Pro features.
- Some minor text changes in the Settings panel.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with ingredient amounts getting rounded up to 1.
- FIX: Fixed some theme compatibiltiy issues.
- FIX: Re-enabled structured data for recipes. Didn’t mean to disable this, sorry!
- NEW: Ingredient amounts will now display as entered (fractions or decimals) in the number format based on your language settings.
- NEW: Added taxonomy filter dropdowns to the admin recipe list page.
- NEW: Added developer filters for customizing the “Percent Daily Value” calculations.
- FIX: Added compatibility for the “Bridge” theme.
- FIX: Added “1/5” support to measurements.
- FIX: Other minor bug fixes throughout.
- FIX: Fixed an edge-case issue where private Vimeo videos would not show up within recipe content.
- NEW: HTML is allowed in all ingredient/direction fields.
- FIX: Fixed some redirect issues.
- FIX: Some adjustments to support the upcoming Cooked Pro.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with the Cooked settings screens if a non-English language is enabled.
- FIX: Fixed an issue for when the “Browse Recipe Page” and “Single Recipe Post” slugs were the same (i.e. /recipes/). You can now use the same slug for both!
- NEW: Tested and working in WordPress 4.8!
- NEW: Custom checkbox toggles on the Settings page.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with category redirects. There was a double slash being added that has now been resolved. Huge thanks to @travelnlass and @kitcatsz for finding this one!
- FIX: A lot more fixes for the [cooked-recipe] shortcode. Huge thanks to Zoe and Mariana for donating their time and websites to help me work out these issues!
- NEW: Added an advanced ability to “Disable Cooked
<meta>Tags” when needed.
- NEW: Added an advanced ability to “Disable Public Recipes” when needed.
- FIX: Several fixes for the
- FIX: Fixed some issue with printing recipes.
- FIX: Applied selected servings to print view.
- FIX: Fixed an issue with using decimals on Nutrition Facts.
- FIX: Fixed an error on the recipe author template.
- FIX: More minor tweaks to support the upcoming Cooked Pro plugin.
- FIX: Compatibility improvements with the Yoast SEO plugin.
- FIX: Some minor tweaks to support the upcoming Cooked Pro plugin.
- NEW: Full-Screen Mode: Just include “fullscreen” in the
[cooked-info]shortcode. Really shines on mobile devices!
- NEW: Printable Recipes: Just include “print” in the
[cooked-info]shortcode. Includes some handy “a-la-carte” print options.
- FIX: Some adjustments for layouts on smaller devices (responsive fixes).
- FIX: Fixed an issue where quantities and amounts would not show up without a “Servings” setting. Now it works no matter what!
- FIX: Minor code adjustments to better support Cooked Pro.
- NEW: Everything is new!
- NEW: Drag & drop ingredients and directions.
- NEW: Beautiful grid-based masonry recipe lists.
- NEW: Powerful recipe search with a text search, categories & sorting options.
- NEW: Author template to list recipes by a single author.
- NEW: Cooking times with clickable, interactive timers.
- NEW: Very developer-friendly with loads of hooks & filters.
- NEW: Servings switcher to adjust ingredient amounts.
- NEW: SEO Optimized – Google Structured Data and Schema support.
- NEW: Prep & cooking times.
- NEW: Nutrition facts.
- NEW: Difficulty levels.
- NEW: Photo galleries.