This is a utility for converting lots of posts or pages to a custom post type (or vice versa). You can limit the conversion to posts in a single category or children of specific page. You can also assign new taxonomy terms, which will be added to the posts’ existing terms.
This plugin is useful for converting many posts at once. If you’d rather do one at a time, use Post Type Switcher instead.
- Install a database backup plugin, like WP DB Backup. Make a backup of your database, and make sure you know how to restore your site using the backup. I’m not kidding. Do this first!
- Upload this plugin directory to
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to Tools → Convert Post Types to convert your posts.
This little gem sure works.
Very nice plugin that did the job really well. Thumbs up to the author !
Utilizaba un theme con wp_release, y deseaba usar otro q no lo tenia, con este plugin pude convertir los wp_release, en post facilitando todo el proceso.
Muchas gracias a los desarrolladores.
I build and maintain small business websites for a living and I recently had a client that wanted to change themes. We were using The7 by ThemeForest, and are changing to Divi by Elegant Themes. The7 had several built-in custom post types that we were using, but of course when I changed the theme the content was simply inaccessible. I found this plugin to be a good solution.
I had to reactivate the old theme so that the custom post types were re-registered, then I converted them to normal Posts. The category assignment feature didn’t work as I thought it would, but I batch assigned a temporary category to all of the posts I was converting.
Then I changed themes to the new one, and used the plugin again to convert all posts in the temporary category to a new custom post type in the Divi theme.
This worked great for me, but it’s pretty simplistic and may not work as well in everyone’s case. This plugin saved me a ton of time not having to rebuild those post items.
It converts pages to posts, but failed to assign the requested category to the converted post. Needs some updating for new schema, perhaps?
Needs an update.
Contributors & Developers
“Convert Post Types” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Refactored some code and added WPML support. Props Jenny Beaumont.
- Fixed a problem with the “Convert” button overlapping the footer in WP 3.8x
- Failing to select a to/from post type now gives an error instead of converting posts to an invalid type.
- Things converted to posts do not receive the default category if other categories are set.
- Flat taxonomies are now set correctly.
- Various query-related bugs fixed, like all pages being converted even if a parent was chosen.
- Fixed a notice on the admin screen.
- Fixed compatibility problem with WordPress 3.3.
- Using built-in functions instead of database queries for better caching and support for hooks.
- Removed private post types (like nav menu items) from the dropdown menus to prevent accidents. Only public post types are available for switching.
- First release (June 30, 2010)