Block comment spam (up to 98% of it !) by inserting a question and answer field on your comment forms. No more wasting your time emptying out pages of spam messages just to get to the real comments from real visitors!
You can create your own simple question, like “What is 1 plus 1?” and the commenter must supply an answer on the comment form. If the commenter can’t answer the question correctly, this great little plugin blocks the comment from getting into your website.
Thanks to Andrew Kurtis and his team at Web Hosting Hub for translating this plugin into Spanish!
With the recently added blocked-spam counter, we collected data on our test site that blocked 798 spam comments and allowed only 14 through – a 98% success rate!
- How do I set the question and answer?
Go to the Settings Menu > Discussion
Scroll to the section “Comment Gatekeeper Settings”
Enter your question and answer
Save your settings
Update README.txt with recent spam-blocking data
Add successfully blocked spam comment counter
Add uninstall function to remove options on uninstall
Add Spanish translation
Modify english instructions to prepare for translations
Add gettext functions on two English sentences that were missing it
Add CSS classes to form field
* Add an admin field for optional css classes
* Adds the optional CSS classes to the form
* Added user-friendly error messages for empty answer field and for incorrect answer field
* Will also see if there are any other improvement ideas from users
* Intend to roll this out as part of 1.0 after testing
- Initial submission to WordPress