Anyone who has run a WordPress site for more than a few weeks knows that 95% of all site registrations typically come from spammers. When they can’t get a comment approved, they just sit in the database, clogging up the works.
We call these folks zombie users, and they’re coming for your brains.
This is a plugin designed to do one thing: clean up zombie users.
If you have a WordPress site with lots spammer registrations, this plugin will delete any user who has never had a post or comment approved. Zombie Users… BRAAAAINS.
- Target specific user roles for deletion based on whether they have ever posted or commented
- Includes a test mode to see what the results will be
- Includes the ability to delete users in chunks, for large sites.
An [x] indicates this is done in the development version
- [ ] Allow newer users to be excluded
- [ ] Build in logic for all major e-commerce plugins so that paying customers can’t be pruned
- [ ] Boolean values don’t really need to be sanitized, but we’re going to do it anyway
- [ ] Save selections as session data between submit & results
- [x] Trim ” | User Role” from the end of role listings on older WP sites.
- [ ] Need to make the entire introductory message change after a post
- [ ] Need to put the deleted users list into a scrolling DIV
- [ ] Investigate AJAX updates as the plugin works
- [ ] Investigate the ability to protect users without changing their roles
- [ ] Investigate the ability to line-item delete users, or remove them from the operation
If you would like to contribute something, find the plugin at:
- Upload plugin to the “/wp-content/plugins/” directory.
- Activate the plugin through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress.
- Visit the options page in your administrative settings and get cleaning
Cleaned up a mass of “zombie users” quickly and easily. It’s a powerful tool but provides the right warnings and allows a test mode, so if you’re smart enough to have a backup, there should be no concerns.
Thanks for cleaning up that mess for me!
Works great, thanks a lot!
Contributors & Developers
“Clean Up Zombie Users (spammers)” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Accidentally reverted a few lines in the limiter check to 4.0b, causing a bug in that feature. Resolved
- Updated the never-comment/never-post logic to avoid undefined variables in certain situations
- Questioned whether I’m even going to leave the office in time for New Years Eve
- Fixed an issue with key => value pairs when determining roles for auto-inclusion. Primarily affected older installations
- Properly sanitized the text field for limiting results
- Broke up the plugin into smaller files for greater readability
- Properly enqueued styles & scripts
- Fixed the undefined index in dynamic variables on lines 71 and 72.
- Fixed a jQuery mistake in the confirmation conditional
- Plugin now 100% error free in testing.
- Fixed the has_cap warning by changing “8” to “manage_options” in option page permissions