Create child themes from any non-child theme directly from the Theme Customizer panel.
Works also when previewing a theme before activation!
FTP credential requests handled in the Customizer.
Child-theme’s screenshot generated from the parent screenshot, with a ribbon dynamically added.
Child-theme’s author dynamically generated from the user Name and Last Name, if set, otherwise falls back on a generic “Administrator”.
- Thanks to @nikeo for spurring me, testing my plugin and for his valuable advices
- Thanks to @rdellconsulting for testing my plugin even on multisite and for his valuable advices
The plugin is translation ready.
Most of the previously bundled Childify Me translations (see the list below) have been succesfully ported to translate.wordpress.org.
Childify Me also bundles the following languages (.pot file included in childify-me/lang):
Many thanks to these generous users 🙂
- Install the plugin right from your WordPress admin in plugins > Add New.
1-bis. Download the plugin, unzip the package and upload it to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory
- Activate the plugin
- Go to Appearance -> Customize and you’ll see the “Childify Me” button.
3-bis. In Appearance -> Themes, hover on a non-child theme and click on Live Preview, once there you’ll see the “Childify Me” button
Is your theme a non-child theme? Childify Me is designed to make child themes only for non-child themes.
I created a child theme from Preview, but when I back to Appearance -> Themes I cannot see it, why?
Please, refresh the page.
How can I create a child-theme in multisite?
Go to Appearance -> Customize (or to Appearance -> Themes, if you want to create a child-theme of a
non-active theme, hover on a non-child theme and click on Live Preview)
This is because some options aren’t really part of the theme options.
Basically you can consider them as options related to theme. WordPress saves them in a different db row of the wp-options table.
From the Codex: https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes
Note: You may need to re-save your menu (Appearance > Menus, or Appearance > Customize > Menus) and theme options
(including background and header images) after activating the child theme.
Why my child-theme’s screenshot doesn’t have the ribbon?
That feature is implemented using some functions of the PHP GD module.
So you need a PHP version >= 4.0 and the GD module installed and loaded.
Why for some themes the child-theme style.css uses the @import directive ?
Please read this topic
Contributors & Developers
“Childify Me” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
1.2.3 : July 20, 2021
- Code clean-up.
1.2.2 : November 27, 2020
- fix buttons css
1.2.1 : February 20, 2020
- bump Tested up to
1.2.0 : July 24, 2018
- Imp: improve WP PHPcs
- Imp: autodetect parent screenshot size
- Imp: create child screenshot png also from parent jpeg files
- Imp: improve child badge
- Rm: remove translations already hosted on wp.org
1.1.1 : September 20, 2017
- Imp: add hueman-pro as special theme
1.1.0 : June 08, 2017
- Imp: generated screenshot size now follows latest wp recommandations
- Fix: cm container was partially visible in the new open custom css box
1.0.15 : May 12, 2016
- Imp: Add domainpath and textdomain to the plugin header
1.0.14 : May 06, 2016
- Add: Improved child-theme creation for Hueman theme
- Imp: small css fixes
- Imp: restrict plugin scope to is_admin() == true
- Upd: update Tested up to WordPress version version 4.5.1
1.0.13 : Nov 26, 2015
- Add: Fix rtl CSS: Many thanks to Yaacov Glezer
- Upd: update Tested up to WordPress version version 4.4
1.0.11 : Sep 08, 2015
- Add: Hebrew translation: Many thanks to Yaacov Glezer
1.0.10 : May 07, 2015
- Fix: readme typo
1.0.9 : May 06, 2015
- Add: added Portuguese and Dutch translations: Many thanks to @wph4
1.0.8 : April 21, 2015
- Fix: minor css fix to radio buttons
1.0.7 : March 26, 2015
- Fix: fix css according to some Customizr theme css in the customize
1.0.6 : March 22, 2015
- Add: added Russian and Ukrainian translations. Many thanks to @baneff
1.0.5 : February 08, 2015
- Fix: for security reasons, fallback on generic “Administrator” if no user Name and Last name are set
- Fix: translations updated
1.0.4 : February 02, 2015
- Fix: fix typo while creating child-theme screenshot.png
1.0.3 : February 02, 2015
- Fix: handle parent 8 bit colormap screenshot.png
1.0.2 : January 19, 2015
- Fix: cancel button bug, css form padding
1.0.1 : January 19, 2015
- Fix: improve compatibility with PHP versions < 3.5.3
- Fix: css, change some padding
1.0.0 : January 03, 2015
- First offical release!