An easy to use Recent Posts Plugin. This plugin will allow you to display the recent posts in a sidebar only on a category page.
New Features Added
- Specify the number of posts to display in the sidebar
- Show/ hide excerpt
- Specify the number of words to be displayed in the excerpt
- Option to specify custom Read More text
- The Read More text is also a link to the posts permalink
Installing is pretty easy takes only a minute or two.
Upload ‘category-recent-posts-widget.zip’ directory to your ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory.
Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ screen in WordPress.
On the ‘Widgets’ sub-menu of ‘Appearance’ you will find a new widget type called ‘Category Recent Posts’.
Add one or more of these to your themes widget display areas.
For each widget you add, select a title.
For each widget you add, specify the number of posts to display in the widget, show/ hide excerpt or specify the number of words to display in excerpt
Specify the Read More text that will be displayed after the excerpt in the sidebar. This defaults to ellipses […] if the field is left blank
Save your settings.
That’s it. Enjoy!
- Why cannot I see the widget in my Sidebar on the Home Page?
The widget will be displayed only on the ‘Category Archive Page’
- Can I style the my recent posts widget
Yes. You can style it as required. The recent posts list are wrapped in an unordered HTML list having CSS class “.tm-recent”. The excerpt is wrapped in a div tag with the CSS class “.tm-excerpt”. The complete widget itself is wrapped in the CSS class “.tm-cat-recent-post”
- How can I style the Read More link
The Read More link is wrapped in the CSS class “.tm-read-more-text”. You can style this class n your stylesheet.
Contributors & Developers
“Categories Recent Posts Widget” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Initial Release
- Added option to select the number of posts in widget settings
- Added default number of posts to 5
- Added option to select whether excert will be displayed or not
- Changed Domain to Gettext Calls to ‘themedios’
- Fixed control options’ width parameter to an integer instead of the previous string
- Changed old CSS class names
- Checked for 3.5 compatability. Looks good 🙂
- Added option to specify Read More text. Returns ellipses […] if Read More text is empty
- Hyperlink to the posts permalink for Read More text.
- Added CSS class to style Read More text
- Updated screenshot for Widget Settings