The Internet Defense League is an online activist group organized to defend your online freedoms. When a bill is threatening to pass that would inhibit the way you live your online life, they put up the Cat Signal, a way to collectively black out or put notices on a large number of websites simultaneously.
The current action centers around the Internet Slowdown campaign, to protest against cable companies that want to inhibit your browsing experience by enabling a “fast-lane” where service providers (like YouTube and Netflix) get priority access to faster speeds for a fee. Learn more on the Battle for the Net site. This campaign will run for one day on September 10th.
About the plugin
At first glance, it may appear that the plugin isn’t doing anything because you don’t have a banner or a modal window. Don’t panic!!! What this means is that all is safe in Gotham and the Cat Signal has not been activated (read: there probably isn’t an active IDL campaign running). To keep up to date on Internet Defense League campaigns, I recommend signing up for their mailing list (ed. note: I’m not affiliated with them at all, I’m just your friendly neighborhood internet activist). Once you’re on the list, you’ll get emails when they’re about to launch a campaign.
So how do I know if it’s working?
If you’re savvy, you can check the HTML source of your site and check that either the
banner.js is loading. If it is, you’re good to go, and the banner or modal window will work automagically when the IDL launch a new campaign.
You can also add
?_idl_test=1 to the end of any page URL configured to display the alert. This will display a banner or modal in the style of the actual alert while not actually displaying a pretty banner or graphic.
Extract the zip file and just drop the contents in the wp-content/plugins/ directory of your WordPress installation and then activate the Plugin from Plugins page.
Contributors & Developers
“Internet Defense League Cat Signal” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- version bump, no major changes
- removed Stop the Secrecy option
- removed the idl_test (temporarily, see developer thread)
- tested with WordPress 4.0
- added plugin icon
- fixed the fatal error on activation for PHP < 5.3
- added widget for Stop the Secrecy campaign. May be used later for other campaigns.
- fixed banner/modal bug (saved option was getting stripped in the validation function)
- moved IDL banner locally
- fixes validation _doing_it_wrong()
- Fixed open
- added an option to define where the alert appears
- added link to test that the script is working
- Changed how the validation pulled the options
- Added validation function
- Initial release.