I love this Carousel feature that is part of the JetPack plugin however I didn’t like that I was being forced to connect my site with WordPress.com to use a feature that has no connection with WordPress.com. Well, I simply forked the Carousel module from JetPack. I am releasing it for all those who want to use this feature with freedom of choice.
The carousel feature transforms your standard built-in WordPRess galleries into an immersive full-screen experience with comments and EXIF metadata.
Want to make your WordPress photo gallery stand out? Then use this jQuery Gallery Carousel without Jetpack plugin.
If you like this plugin, and want to learn more about WordPress, then I suggest that you visit WPBeginner. It is one of the largest free WordPress resource site with tons of WordPress Tutorials, and I’m proud to say that I created it.
If you are not sure how to create a gallery in WordPress, then watch my free WordPress video tutorials. P.S. these WordPress videos contain a lot more than just a tutorial on how to create galleries. It will show you tons of other cool stuff, so use it to your advantage. You can also subscribe to my YouTube channel.
I often get asked what are the best WordPress plugins? Which plugins should I use on my site? What are the must have plugins? I have created a blueprint of all the plugins and tools that I’m using. Take a look at plugins I’m using at WPBeginner.
Gallery Carousel feature was first intorduced for WordPress.com blogs, and now it is available for all WordPress sites. So YES you can switch from WordPress.com to WordPress.org and still keep the Gallery Carousel functionality by using this plugin.
P.S. self-hosted WordPress.org does not mean installing WordPress in your personal computer. You would need web hosting for that. You can follow my WordPress installation tutorial or request a free blog setup.
If you like this plugin, then please leave a good rating. For support just ask the questions here (make sure you ask your questions properly if you want a response).
Plugin Header Photo Credit: Muffit
Extract the zip file and just drop the contents in the wp-content/plugins/ directory of your WordPress installation and then activate the Plugin from Plugins page.
Go to Settings > Media for further options.
- How will you make sure to keep this upto date?
Well this code is literally a copy of JetPack module. I will keep a close eye on every JetPack update. If they update this module, then I will be sure to update this plugin as well.
- How can I get rid of the Comments?
I thought long and hard about whether to add this feature in the gallery carousel or not. Because the goal is to transform your standard galleries into an immersive full-screen experience, I think that comments are necessary. This is why I will NOT be adding an option to turn the comments off.
However, if you want to turn off comments on Media attachments, you can follow this tutorial:
Doesn’t seem to work on single image posts like the original Jetpack plugin does.
Works like charm!
Yeah, I don’t have time to scavenger hunt another mysterious wordpress plugin with no clear indication of how it is to be used.
99% of WordPress gallery plugins are built to fail.
this plug-in disabled any user access including admin.
the page ‘http://jimkanicki.com/wp-login.php’ is blank.
do not use this plug-in.
Contributors & Developers
“Gallery Carousel Without JetPack” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Updated it to match original JetPack plugin updates from 3.6.1
- Tested with WordPress 4.3
- Fix: plugin_dir_path() and plugin_dir_url() used for Multisite / symlink support
- Added French translation (props: Blacky)
- Updated it to match original JetPack plugin updates from 3.1.1
- Fix: Language POT file
- Fix: WordPress 4.0 compatibility
- Added Russian translation (props: Andrey Maier)
- Prevent conflict where Jetpack or Slim Jetpack is already active
- Updated it to match original JetPack plugin updates from 2.9.3
- Updated it to match original JetPack plugin updates 2.2.2
- Bugfix: Comments not working due to jQuery.spin and spin.js issue (props amoshonas)
- Updated it to match original JetPack plugin updates from 2.1.2
- Updated it to match with the original JetPack plugin updates.
- Added support for mobile and touchscreen devices.
- Increased the size of the close button as many of you requested in the forums.
- Fixed styling issue with the background going up as soon as one writes a comment (props Philipp)
- Added translation support. (props Philipp)
- Translated it for German. (props Philipp)
- Fixed the issue with Multisite
- Changed the class name to avoid conflicts