This plugin gives you total control over external links on your website. This plugin also comes with a comprehensive domain filtering feature. BWP External Links is based on the popular Prime Links phpBB mod by Ken F. Innes IV (Prime Halo).
Check out this redirect external links tutorial for some tips on how to set up a redirection/disclaimer page using BWP External Links.
- Process links for post contents, comment text, text widgets, or the whole page
- Domain filtering:
- You can specify which sub-domains of your website to consider local (all subdomains, no subdomain, or some)
- You can specify which external domains to consider local
- You can forbid certain external domains (e.g. pron.com or warez.com) and replace URLs linking to them with a URL of choice (useful for filtering links in visitors’ comments)
- Wildcard support, e.g.
- You can add
rel="nofollow"or any custom relation tag you could think of to external links
- You can specify CSS classes for both local and external links, as well as external image links
- You can use provided CSS rules (an external icon is added to each external link) or define your own
- Choose whether or not to open a completely new window for each external link
- Choose between three ‘new window’ modes:
targetattribute or jQuery
- Add a prefix to external links. Example use would be a redirection page that warns your visitors about the danger of visiting external sites, e.g.
- WordPress Multi-site compatible
- And more…
It is highly recommended that you give the Official Documentation a good read to make the most out of BWP External Links.
Please don’t forget to rate this plugin 5 shining stars if you like it, thanks!
Get in touch
- Support is provided via BetterWP.net Community.
- You can also follow me on Twitter.
- Check out latest WordPress Tips and Ideas from BetterWP.net.
- English – default
- Danish – Danske (da_DK) – Thanks to Randi!
- Malaysian (ms_MY) – Thanks to d4rkcry3r!
- Dutch (nl_NL) – Thanks to Juliette!
- Serbo-Croatian (sr_RS) – Thanks to Web Hosting Hub!
Please help translate this plugin!
Visit Plugin’s Official Page for more information!
Very nice implementation, using it on http://depozitulderetete.ro/ with url prefix and works like a charm!
- WordPress 3.9 compatible.
- Added ability to use wildcards in domain settings.
- Added a CSS class for external image link, default is
- Added a Serbo-Croatian translation – Thanks to Borisa Djuraskovic!
- Improved handling of external links.
- Updated the default ‘external’ image (
external.png) to use an optimized version (download size goes down from ~50KB to 404 bytes) – Thanks to Beheerder!
- Updated Danish translation – Thanks to Randi!
- Fixed an issue where links are not processed (priorities set for some filters were too high), thanks to user jrf.
- Other fixes and enhancements
I have updated the Official Documentation to reflect all changes so it is highly recommended that you give it a good read.
Also check out this redirect external links tutorial for some tips on how to set up a redirection/disclaimer page using BWP External Links.
Note that BWP External Links now requires WordPress 3.0 or later.
- Marked as WordPress 3.7 compatible.
- Added an Italian translation. Thanks to Paolo Stivanin!
- Added a Dutch translation. Thanks to Juliette!
- Updated BWP Framework to fix a possible bug that causes BWP setting pages to go blank.
- Good news: ManageWP.com has become the official sponsor for BWP External Links – Read more.
- Added Malaysian translation – Thanks to d4rkcry3r!
- Added a new sample CSS file – Thanks to empathik!
- Both lowercase and uppercase anchors and href attributes are now processed correctly.
- Both single and double quotes are now recognized correctly.
- Other minor bug fixes and improvements.
Note: Plugin translators please update your translations, thanks!
- Fixed the incorrect behaviour of ‘Ignoring links poiting to All sub-domains’ option. It should now act like *.domain.tld.
- Improved support for country-based domains.
- Added an option to process links in text widgets.
- Added an option to process every link on a given page (experimental).
- Added Danish translation – Thanks to Randi!
For more information, please refer to the release announcement.
- Initial Release.