Since the vast majority of WordPress spam is automated in nature, the goal of BotBlocker is to block comment spam bots and not hinder users. This is accomplished through the use of honeypot technology, which tricks the spambot into identifying itself by performing actions that a human could not.
BotBlocker’s features include:
- Works out of the box to block spam
- Automatically stops spam-bots from commenting
- Zero hindrance to users: no CAPTCHAS, math questions, passwords or extra input required
- Zero false positives and ignores registered users
- Can be configured to completely block spam-bots or flag comments as spam
- Spam detection messages can be easily adjusted
- Hooks into
wp-comments-post.phpto prevent spam-bots from directly submitting spam comments
- Should work fine with most customized comment forms
- No API keys required
http://www.lform.com/botblocker/ for more information.
Plugin by LFORM, a web design company in New Jersey.
- Upload the
botblockerfolder in the zip file to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- BotBlocker is installed and working!
- Additional configuration can be performed by clicking on ‘Settings’ in the ‘Plugins’ screen.
- Will BotBlocker conflict with my comment form customizations?
BotBlocker should not interfere with your form customizations, whether you have added fields or removed them. Barring extensive customizations to the core of the comment system, there should be no issues.
- Will BotBlocker conflict with my other comment or spam plugins?
BotBlocker works by hooking into WordPress’s comment system and should play OK with most plugins, however there is no guarantee.
This plugin flags all comments as spam. I can only post a comment to my own site, if I’m logged in as admin.
What a shame. This seemed like a cool idea. 🙁
Contributors & Developers
“BotBlocker” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Fixed bug with mechanism that prevents comments from directly being submitted to wp-comments-post.php.
- Fixed bug that caused logged in users & admins to be flagged as spam bots. Registered users & admins will no longer be filtered by the spam bot system.
- Fixed debug mode
- Added screenshot of plugin settings screen
- Tweaked menu option
- Initial release