With our new WordPress plug-in you can automatically create Bitly links for new posts and have those short links pushed to your pre-existing social sharing tools. Additionally, you can show a Bitly sidebar widget that displays your most popular or most recent bitmarks OR displays the top results from the bitly universe for a search term of your choosing.
This plugin uses the Bitly API (http://dev.bitly.com) all links are stored in WordPress and with Bitly.
- Install the plugin either via the WordPress.org plugin directory, or by uploading the files to your server.
- After activating the plugin, you will need to visit the plugin’s settings page to finish the setup for link shortening.
- If you want to use the sidebar widget, you should see a ‘Bitly Bitmarks’ under your Available Widgets (under your WP Appearance settings) which you can drag into the main sidebar
- That’s it. You’re ready to go!
- What sharing tools does this work with?
We have tested it on the following sharing tools:
Facebook (official facebook plugin),
Really simple Facebook Twitter Share
We also tested it on the following themes:
- How does the plugin handle previously created posts?
Posts that were created prior to installing the plugin will only get a bitly short link when someone actually visits the old post. This will result in old posts showing up in your public bitly bitmark stream (https://bitly.com/u/BITLYUSERNAME) unless you have set your default bitmark privacy settings to “Private” at https://bitly.com/a/settings/saving
The latest version of WordPress with this plugin breaks writing new posts and pages. I’ve used this plugin since I started using WordPress and always depended on it, but now I have had to deactivate the plugin. Would like to use it again if the issue was fixed.
bit.ly official shorten url comflict with gplus and twiiter
Contributors & Developers
“Official Bitly for WordPress” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Bug fixes, new check for cURL install and optional Bitly QuickCopy implementation.
- Clarification for error messages.