Automatically generates a short url using your account at bit.ly and insert links to share it at the bottom of your
posts and pages, you can also disable the links to appear in specific posts/pages.
On each post page in the backend, you can also keep track of the clicks for each post with a link to extended statistics
in the bit.ly page.
If you have the sociable plugin activated, this plugin will replace the default link with the short url automatically.
- Upload the file and extract it in the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Go to Settings -> Bit.ly share links and enter your bit.ly login and API key
- Select of the links should be added at the bottom of each post and if the links should open a new page
- Save the changes, now each time you create a new post the short link will be created automatically
- My posts created before installing this plugin do not have short url
Edit the post and update it, the plugin will create the short url if it is missing.
- How can I use the short url in other places?
The short url hash is stored in a custom field, if you want to display it in a custom place in your template you can
retrieve it with
<?php echo get_post_meta($post->ID,'_bitly_link',true); ?>
Contributors & Developers
“Bitly shared links” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Changed variable name (small typo)
- Changed function call to request short link from bitly only when the post is published
- Fixed bug in the options page
- Added rel=”shortlink” tag support
- Initial release of the plugin.