bbPress and the Genesis Framework are both fantastic additions to any WordPress site. However, depending on your setup they don’t always play nice right away.
bbPress Genesis Extend does some behind-the-scenes tweaks and fixes to make bbPress/Genesis integration as quick and painless as possible.
Additionally, this plugin also:
- Adds option for a forum specific sidebar
- Adds option to control the layout of your forum, separate from Genesis
- Adds Genesis Layout Controls for Forums
- If a forum has a specific layout set, all topics in that forum will use that layout.
- Adds Genesis SEO Controls for Forums
- Adds option to disable bbPress Forum and Topic descriptions.
The forum sidebar and layout options are located on the Genesis Settings page, look for ‘bbPress’.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Configure optional settings on the Genesis Settings page
- Random Genesis elements are showing up on the forums
This can happen if you are using a custom Genesis child theme that does not use default element positions. This plugin removes elements such as breadcrumbs, post into/meta, and post navigation from their default location. If you child theme has moved them then you will have to make changes accordingly.
For example: the Genesis breadcrumbs are removed using
remove_action( 'genesis_before_loop', 'genesis_do_breadcrumbs' );– however if they are not hooked into genesis_before_loop then they will not be removed as they should be.
- I’m still having problems, bbPress doesn’t look right!
Genesis and bbPress are both their own beasts. This plugin provides some basic “out of the box” fixes and features that greatly improves integration. However additional tweaks may be needed to your Genesis and/or bbPress themes.
Specifically, font sizes often need to be adjusted so bbPress “blends” with your Genesis child theme. You can fix this by changing/adding styles to your child theme’s
Just what I needed. Followed the link from bbPress support forum.
Thank you for this.
I just HAD to chime in and give you some props for this plugin! It saved my day!
I was seeing some very strange behavior when setting up my bbPress forum within a Genesis Child theme and started Googling only to find that you’ve solved the issues with your plugin.
Many thanks for making this available to the community!
Contributors & Developers
“bbPress Genesis Extend” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
* Fixed issue with Genesis profile fields on front end, props @dreamwhisper
* Fixed issue with Genesis 2.1, props @NicktheGeek and @wpsmith
* Update hook used for init to avoid edge case issues, props @NicktheGeek
- Fixed PHP Notice, props Daan Kortenbach
- Fixed issue where custom set layouts weren’t repected
- Add basic support for Genesis 2 (HTML5) child themes, props @surefirewebserv
- Tested with bbPress 2.3
- Tested with WordPress 3.6 trunk
- Tested with Genesis 1.8.2
- Added option to disable bbPress Forum and Topic descriptions (see Genesis Settins page)
- Fixed issue where page title (user name) was removed from profile pages
- Fixed issue where Genesis profile fields could show on bbPress profile edit pages
- Fixed adding post type support to use
bbp_get_forum_post_type()instead of hardcoding the post type name
- Added storing the plugin version number in options so we can deprecate features as needed
- Deprecated the compatbility CSS. Modern Genesis themes do a good job and play well with bbPress, so it’s not needed. This file will not load for new installs, but will function as expected for users who are upgrading.=
- Cleaned up documentation
- Added compatibility fix for Genesis Connect Woocommerce plugin
- Tweaked CSS load order, props @norcross
- Fixed compatibility issue with the Genesis Simple Sidebar plugin
- Cleaned up documentation
- A few CSS tweaks
- Added filter
bbpge_cssso the CSS can be disabled if needed
- Initial launch, heavily based off of Genesis compatibility class in bbPress 2.0.x
- Added optional forum sidebar setting
- Added optional forum layout setting
- Other goodies
- Props to @jjj for various code cleanup and @deckerweb for testing/translations