The default WordPress “shortlink” URLs look like
http://www.example.com/blog/?p=123, where “
actually a 7+ digit decimal number. This plugin shrinks your
shortlinks by encoding that number into only 4 characters, and using
the abbreviated URL prefix of your choice.
On my site, the default shortlinks are 35 bytes long, even though I
have a very short domain name. This plugin shrinks them to 21 total
bytes, which is comparable to most public URL-shortener services, and
better than many.
This doesn’t affect your (long) permalinks: those can still be in
whatever format you like.
- Upload the
base64-shortlinksdirectory to your
- Activate the plugin through the “Plugins” menu in WordPress.
- Select the “Base64 Shortlinks” menu under “Settings” and enter your
Shortlink URL Prefix.
Contributors & Developers
“Base64 Shortlinks” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Shortlinks that happened to have “-” in them were failing. Fixed.
- Fixed a bug that affected blogs installed in the root directory of
- Fixed a bug that caused shortlinks to be longer than necessary on
- Fix for WordPress 4.0.