This plugin adding autocomplete functionality to search input field. It is using core jQuery library as well as
autocomplete jquery plugin from http://www.pengoworks.com/workshop/jquery/autocomplete.htm
This plugin requires zero configuration, but since version 1.2.0 there is admin screen where you can enable the extra ‘number of matches’ next to each option and other goodies.
You just need to activate and it’s ready to be used in the blog. The plugin is tested with WordPress 2.6.5, but until there aren’t big core changes, it sould work for all future releases. I don’t have
information if this plugin will work with older versions of WordPress, but for sure it is working with 2.6.x. The last version 1.2.0 is tested on WP 2.7.1.
New in 1.3.5: When it’s selected to display posts and/or pages and the autosubmit is ON, then when the user clicks on the selected row it will go directly to the post or page url. This way user are skipping one step. The change affect only pages and posts. Categories and tags behave as now.
New in 1.3.0: Added result type option in admin. From now on you can choose which type of results will be displayed.
New in 1.2: This version could display number of matches found in the blog.
New in 1.2.1: Small fix for table prefixes and adding autosubmit once the item from the list is selected.
I would appreciate if you write an review/post in your blog with a link to my page: nik.chankov.net.
- Why this plugin is useful for users of your blog?
It’s useful because they can easily check what themes you writing for, and this way they could find the desired article more easily.
- Is it possible to use it with non standart search like Google Custom Search Engine or similar?
Well, depends. Current version (>1.1.2) reqires the name of the input field to be “s”, so if your search field has such name, there is no problem at all.
- Is it secure?
Thank you for that question :). Actually it’s escaping the search string with functions provided from WordPress, so if you find WordPress secure, means
that the plugin is secure as well.
Use Contact the author for suport and other questions. Thanks!
- 188.8.131.52 [22 Jan 2012] – bugfix for direct submit option.
- 184.108.40.206 [18 Mar 2011] – bugfix for the IE for skiping the search result page.
- 1.3.5 [09 Mar 2011] – added posibility to skip search result’s page and goes directly to the post or page. See Description tab for more details.
- 1.3.0 [12 Jul 2010] – added type of displayed results in the dropdown. From now on you can choose which type of results will be displayed (option in admin).
- 1.2.1 [03 Apr 2009] – small bugfix for table prefixes as well as autosubmit when the value is selected from the list (option in admin)
- 1.2.0 [03 Apr 2009] – adding number of matches per item suggestion
- 1.1.2 [05 Feb 2009] – removing dependance from id=”s”.
- 1.1 [28 Nov 2008] – small fix removing htmlentities(), because it damages the results
- 1.0 [28 Nov 2008] – initial submit of the plugin