Spammers target old posts in a hope that you won’t notice the comments on them. Why not stop them in their tracks by just shutting off comments and pingbacks? Auto-Close let’s you automatically close comments, pingbacks and trackbacks on your posts, pages and custom post types.
You can also choose to keep comments / pingbacks / trackbacks open on certain posts, page or custom post types. Just enter a comma-separated list of post IDs in the Settings page.
An extra feature is the ability to delete post revisions that were introduced in WordPress v2.6 onwards.
- Close comments: Automatically close comments on posts, pages, attachments and even Custom Post Types!
- Close pingbacks and trackbacks: Automatically close pingbacks and trackbacks as well
- Choose how old: Choose a custom time period as to when the comments, pingbacks and trackbacks need to be closed
- Scheduling: You can also schedule a cron job to automatically close comments, pingbacks and trackbacks daily
- Bonus: Delete post revisions
Navigate to Plugins within your WordPress Admin Area
Click “Add new” and in the search box enter “autoclose”
Find the plugin in the list (usually the first result) and click “Install Now”
Download the plugin
Extract the contents of autoclose.zip to wp-content/plugins/ folder. You should get a folder called autoclose.
Activate the Plugin in WP-Admin.
Goto Settings » Auto-Close to configure
If your question isn’t listed here, please post a comment at the WordPress.org support forum. I monitor the forums on an ongoing basis. If you’re looking for more advanced support, please see details here.
- What does “Delete Post Revisions” do?
The WordPress revisions system stores a record of each saved draft or published update. This can gather up a lot of overhead in the long run. Use this option to delete old post revisions.
If you enable this option and turn on the cron job then any new revisions will be automatically deleted on a daily basis.
Contributors & Developers
“Auto-Close Comments, Pingbacks and Trackbacks” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed: Bug where comments on attachments did not get closed
- New: Custom post type support. Now close comments on posts, pages, attachments and your custom post types!
- Modified: Language initialisation
- Modified: More code cleaning
- New: Spanish and Serbian languages thanks to Ogi Djuraskovic
- New: Responsive admin interface
- New: Plugin is now ready to be translated
- Modified: Massive code rewrite and cleanup
- New: Now separately choose to close on posts and pages. Also added buttons to open all comments and open all pings
- New: Option to delete post revisions. Minor bug fix. Includes plugin uninstaller.
- New: Option to keep comments / pingbacks / trackbacks on certain posts open