There are plenty of plugins available which allow site visitors to rate posts, but I didn’t find any that gave the post author that functionality, so I wrote this plugin. Author Post Ratings adds a meta box to the post edit screen, allowing you to chose a 1-5 star rating for the post, or to leave it unrated. The plugin will automatically add the post rating (using stars, and an optional label) to the top or bottom of the post. If you wish, you can disable that functionality altogether and use a shortcode to insert the post rating anywhere in the post you choose. The plugin supports ratings for posts, pages, and custom post types, all of which can be individually enabled or disabled in the plugin settings. It is also fully internationalized, with Spanish language translation files included.
Translating the Plugin
The post rating label text can be changed in the plugin settings, so no translation is required for the frontend (public side) of the site. However, if you wish to translate the backend settings interface, the plugin is fully internationalized and ready for translation. There is a .po and a .mo file included in the plugin’s ‘languages’ directory for your convenience.
The plugin includes the following translations:
courtesy of WebHostingHub.
- How do I customize the CSS of the post rating output?
You can edit
author-post-ratings.cssin the plugin folder.
- I don’t like the star graphics that come with the plugin, or I want to use a different color. Can I change them?
Sure, just replace the two images in the
author-post-ratings/images/directory with your own star images. You can also download the Photoshop source files for the supplied star images from the [plugin homepage][plugin homepage URL].
- Where do I get support for this plugin?
Please use the plugin’s support forum here on WordPress extend.
- Are there any functions I can use in my template files?
Yes. You can use
the_author_post_rating()in your templates. These functions are explained in more detail on the [plugin homepage][plugin homepage URL].
- This plugin is useful and I want to donate to the author.
Thank you! Please head on over to my donate page. Any donation, no matter how large or small, is greatly appreciated!
- Added Spanish language translation files, courtesy of WebHostingHub. No changes to main plugin code.
- Added option to only show the rating in singular views, to hide the post rating on archive pages when the
<!--more-->quicktag is used in place of true excerpts
- Updated readme.txt: clarified installation instructions, added documentation for new plugin setting, added translating section
- Updated screenshot of plugin settings page to show new settings field
- Changed the way the plugin handles its saved settings internally
- Updated language files
- Initial Release