Allows plugins and themes to be updated using the standard WordPress plugin or theme update process.
When you want to update a custom plugin or theme but don’t have an automated process
then you can use this plugin to allow you to install a new version of a plugin or theme
without having to delete the existing plugin or theme.
Tested with WordPress 5.9 and WordPress MultiSite.
Note: This plugin is no longer necessary. WordPress core functionality allows you to update existing plugins and themes.
- Upload the contents of the allow-reinstalls plugin to the
- Do nothing until you want to update another plugin or theme.
If you’ve attempted to upload a plugin and you’ve received the message that says
Destination folder already exists. path-to/wp-content/plugins/your-plugin/ Plugin install failed.
or you’ve attempted to upload a theme and got
Destination folder already exists. path-to/wp-content/themes/your-theme/ Theme install failed.
then you need to
- Activate the allow-reinstalls plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Upload the plugin or theme you want to replace.
- Deactivate the allow-reinstalls plugin.
Does this work on WordPress MultiSite?
Yes. Use it as a super administrator.
Can I downgrade a plugin or theme?
You’ll be able to do it, but whether or not the system works afterwards depends on the plugin or theme.
Can I leave the plugin active?
Why doesn’t WordPress allow this anyway?
It does now.
Safety and security; just in case you overwrite the latest version with a back level.
WordPress expects to receive most of its updates automatically, not via a manual upload process.
Where can I read more?
Contributors & Developers
“allow-reinstalls” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Tested: With WordPress 5.9.3
- Tested: With PHPUnit 9
- Tested: With PHP 8.0
- Tested: With PHPUnit 8
- Tested: With WordPress 5.3
- Tested: With PHP 7.3 and PHP 7.4
- Changed: The PHPUnit tests in the GitHub version for WordPress 4.7 compatibility. See [github bobbingwide oik-batch issue 16]
- Tested: With WordPress 4.7
- Changed: Added PHPUnit tests in the GitHub version [github bobbingwide allow-reinstalls issues 1]
- Tested: With WordPress 4.6
- Added: New plugin – to allow oik-weightcountryshipping-pro to be updated using WordPress Plugin Install