A quicktag that will calculate the current age of a person/animal/whatever based on it’s birthdate. Supports changing the verbiage for year(s) and month(s) plus has a multiplier for animals (such as “in dog years”).
Using the quicktag [agecalc birthdate=”1978-01-30] will display “31 years” using the default settings.
Visit www.joshcook.net for update information or to submit feature and support requests.
Using the Quicktag
The Age Calculator quicktag can be used in any post or page using the following format:
[agecalc birthdate=”1978-01-30″ year=”” years=”” multipliery=”” month=”” months=”” multiplierm=””]
The following attributes can be used within the quicktag. Default values can be configured on the Age Calculator’s settings page.
The birthdate attribute is the only manditory attribute, which has to be entered Year, Month and then Day. You can use either a . (period), a
/ (forward slash) or a – (hyphen) as the seperator.
Here are a few valid and invalid birthdate entries:
- 1978-01-30 – Valid
/30 – Valid
- 1978.01.30 – Valid
- 01-30-1978 – Invalid
- 30.01.1978 – Invalid
Sets the text that is returned when the age is 1 year.
Sets the text that is returned when the age is more than 1 year. For example, 15 years.
Used as the multiplier for the year value. For example, if you had a pet web site you could multiply the age by 7 for “dog years”. I giggle every time I say “miltipliery”
Sets the text that is returned when the age is 1 month.
Sets the text that is returned when the age is more than 1 month. For example, 5 months.
Used as the multiplier for the month value.
Age Calculator options page
Configure the default text used when the plugin returns the current age. All values can be overridden within the quicktag.
- Upload the ‘age-calculator’ directory to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ section within WordPress
- Configure Dashboard Links from the ‘Settings -> Age Calculator’ menu option
- Why was Age Calculator created?
I got tired of having to change pages that included age on them every year. Wanted to set it once and forget!
- Why did you choice the date format of YEAR-MONTH-Day
Don’t really know, but that’s what I decided on. I guess I like that one the best. Who knows!?!?
- Where can I get support for this plugin?
I provide support via my web site, although just because you post a request for help doesn’t mean I will have time to answer your question. This is a free plugin and as such, you aren’t guaranteed support. Then again, I’ll help as much as I can and have time for.
- Your plugin rocks! Can I donate?
Absolutely!!! Visit www.joshcook.net for more information!
- Development Notes
- I didn’t see the reason for creating an object for such a simple plugin. In theory it would have taken more processor power on the server than needed. So simple functions it is.
the author of the plugin is very lazy and does not provide any support.
Contributors & Developers
“Age Calculator” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
- Added support for the changelog section
- Corrected problem with any age under six months. Thanks to Kjell Harald Andersen!
- Corrected problem with the blankspace being used – seems I forgot to add the ;. Thanks to James Turner!
- First Public Release