The best WordPress plugin for videos? Supports close to everything you can imagine, still keeping it easy & simple.
It is very likely the one and only plugin you will ever need to handle video embeds on your WordPress site(s). It goes far beyond just making your videos responsive!
Make sure to check out the official page for examples of the plugin and everything about it.
- ARVE is now SEO friendly. Letting you specify title, description, upload date to provide search engines with the schema.org data they like to have for better indexing.
- WYSIWYG Editor. No more messing around with shortcodes and previewing.
- New improved dialog for embedding videos.
- Embeds via pasting the URL in its own line just like WordPress!
- Magically makes those url embedded videos responsive.
- No ‘lock in’ for the above’ if you use providers WordPress already supports.
- Supports almost every video host that supports iframe embed codes.
- Optionally use very powerful Shortcodes instead.
- One single button for all providers. (for most providers not required because of URL embeds, but allows to create custom shortcodes with advanced features within seconds)
- Tries to be as unobtrusive as possible, sets ‘hide brand’ variables if supported, disabled related videos at the end … to help keep people on your site rather then going to YouTube or keep watching videos.
- Clean shortcode syntax
[arve url="https://youtu.be/yUCFRL43Zm4" /], no unnecessary shortcode wrapping.
- Autostart (for providers that support it, mobile browsers prevent this)
- Custom URL parameters to use all options providers offer
- Optional maximal width
- Video alignment
- Detailed description of options in-place.
- Custom aspect ratio
- Comedy Central
- Funny or Die
- TED Talks
- YouTube Playlist
- HTML5 Video (.mp4 .webm file you upload or URL to a readable file on any site/server)
- All providers with responsive iframe embed codes
If you find this plugin useful please give it a 5 star review. It has 60000+ installs but only 100 reviews after over 5 years!
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ The best there is – I have tried many…
Have downloaded and paid for at least 4 other video players that use lightbox. Each one has major flaws. This products works perfectly. If you use the OnSite Editor, then just copy the short code and it works great.
For speed, the product uses the thumbnails from the server. So many of the other products do NOT do this and it slows the page rendering. This product should appear first on the WordPress search. Spent 3 days of my life wasted on other products, only to delete each one. review by jodani
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Finally something that works
So I have a responsive theme but on pages with you tube videos it wasn’t making the you tube videos fit in the mobile screen. I have spent the last hour trying many plugins and researching on google and finally I installed this. And I didn’t have to update any settings or anything just refreshed a post with videos and all the sudden it is beautiful and responsive on my mobile phone!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!! review by happyecho
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Only Plug-in that worked
I used a lot of high ranking plug-ins but they still broke my design. Downloaded this and worked right away. Thanks! review by crconnell89
This plugin is financed by the awesome buyers of the Pro Addon. The development and support of this plugins has become a almost full time job for me so I hope you understand that I can not make all features gratis and that you purchase it to get extra features support the development.
- Feel good about yourself
for supporting my long time work on this plugin. Tons of hours, weekends … always worked on improving it 5+ years.
- Disable links in embeds (killer feature!)
For example: Clicking on a title in a YouTube embed will not open a new popup/tab/window. Prevent video hosters to lead your visitors away from your site! Note this also breaks sharing functionality and is not possible when the provider requires flash. Try it on this page. Right click on links still works.
- Lazyload mode
Make your site load faster by loading only a image instead of the entire video player on pageload.
- Lazyload -> Lightbox
Shows the Video in a Lightbox after clicking a preview image
- Link -> Lightbox
Use simple links as triggers for lightboxed videos
- Show the latest video of a YouTube channel by using the channel URL (updated/cached hourly)
- Automatic or custom thumbnail images
- Automatic or custom titles on top of your thumbnails
- ‘Grow on click’ feature
- 3 hover styles
- 2 play icon styles to choose from
- Responsive thumbnails using cutting edge HTML5 technology
- Get the ARVE Pro Addon
ARVE AMP Addon
- Requires the gratis plugins ARVE and AMP
- Makes ARVE ready for Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
- It will display videos embedded with ARVE on AMP pages correctly
- No options, just works
- It creates <amp-brightcove>, <amp-youtube>, <amp-vimeo>, <amp-dailymotion> elements
- For all other video hosts supported by ARVE <amp-iframe> element is used
- HTML5 video embeds are also supported with <amp-video>
- Check out the ARVE AMP Addon
- Howard Iken of myfloridalaw.com top donor, super nice to me even if I was rude and not deserved it!
- Ilya Grishkov for bringing up the idea and the first code to cache thumbnail urls.
- Everybody giving constructive feedback, testing beta versions.
- Everybody who donated back in the days when this was donation based.
- Of course all the customers who bought a addon.
Thanks to the developers of the software used in ARVE
Please refer to codex.wordpress.org/Managing_Plugins#Automatic_Plugin_Installation.
- Installation Instructions
Please refer to codex.wordpress.org/Managing_Plugins#Automatic_Plugin_Installation.
- I have a problem …
Please report it on nextgenthemes.com/support/ and please do not on the wordpess.org forums, thanks.
- How to get the pro version working?
- Go though the purchase process on nextgenthemes.com/advanced-responsive-video-embedder-pro/
- Follow the 3 easy steps you get with the purchase receipt. It is basically downloading a arve-pro.zip and installing it through your WordPress Admin panel.
- Why are my videos not filling their container?
You are most likely use
align, this plugin has a option for limiting video width with alignment. If you want your videos to fill their containers then you should not use the
alignshortcode attribute. This assumes that you left the ‘Video Maximal Width’ field on the options page empty.
- Can you add a video provider?
- How do I embed videos from a unlisted providers / iframes?
This plugin not changes anything to usual HTML
<iframe>embed codes you have to use the shortcode creator dialog and paste iframe embed codes there or write them manually. They will become
[arve url="https://..."]. The url represents what is the
srcin HTML embeds. It works as simple as this, if the [arve] shortcode does not detect a known URL structure then it will treat the URL as a
srcfor the iframe.
- Why does my YouTube video not repeat/loop?
This plugins embed is considered as ‘custom player’ by YouTube so you have to pass the video ID as playlist parameters to make the loop work.
[arve url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvRqvX413Ik" parameters="loop=1&playlist=pvRqvX413Ik"]
ARVE is most definitely the best plugin for video embedding available for WordPress. I needed a simple solution for embedding responsive Vimeo and YouTube videos and ARVE does the job perfectly! Although it’s completely free, it’s a good idea to consider grabbing out the Pro version just because it will reward the author for the time saved thanks to his work.
got the regular version which is basic and works okay.
upgraded to the Pro version for $15 to make it functional an it was a little disappointing. Turned into frustrating once auto updating quit working and they want you to pay $15 each year to keep it working. It is an okay plugin but way better options out there that don’t require an ongoing fee.
How can I add a video header on my home page with this plugin? Thanks
I always read the one-star reviews. Always. And the one-stars tell me if it’s going to be worthwhile to further check out or go find something else.
The ARVE plugin one-star reviews convinced me that, yes, research this one. So, I Googled it and went to the developer’s website, too.
Armed with that research, I opted to try this plugin and was quite pleased with its free version. So I bought a five-site license for the pro add-on…because it’s a very good, well-coded plugin. It’s smooth, efficient, and does exactly what I need it to do, which is resize videos on-the-fly depending on the container the embedded video is placed in on the WordPress CMS and on what kind of device and resolution/OS/app/browser is accessing it. This plugin does exactly that with no hand-coding needed. With a click of a button, you simply copy/paste your video’s URL into the provided space and it sets it into your post or page. Wonderful.
As to the whining about paying the guy for a license for the pro version, you people have absolutely NO respect for the huge amount of time and effort that goes into, not just creating a plugin that works seamlessly, but keeping it updated to the constant updates of the WordPress software.
Get real. You want to be paid for your work. Don’t begrudge someone their just due for theirs.
And, no, the FREE version didn’t dump a bunch of ads or duns for payment in front of me. Not at all. Of course, I only had it installed for an hour before being convinced I wanted the Pro Add-on …which I DO suggest because, honestly, he’s only asking a pittance for it. Really!
Seems to work well, but adding ‘Nextgenthemes’ to the top level of the main menu in the admin interface is a frustration. It clearly belongs under ‘Settings’.
Unless your plugin is adding a new post type such as ‘Events’ or ‘Forms’ or something, it shouldn’t be adding to the top level on the admin nav – if every plugin did that the nav would be twice the length – it’s a pet frustration of mine. The options contain settings, so they should go under settings.
That said, it seems to work well with regard to the video handling, and I don’t like to complain about a free plugin, so please take it as constructive feedback rather than a moan!
Could you at least be alittle more suttle with your messages?
Covering the entire dashboard trying to get me to upgrade seriously makes me consider finding an alternative plugin.
Why don’t you use the empty page you have left in the menu called nextgenthemes.
Would of been 5 stars if it wasn’t for this annoyance.
Contributors & Developers
“ARVE Advanced Responsive Video Embedder (YouTube, Vimeo, HTML5 Video …)” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
2017-04-25 – 8.4.1
- Fix password protected videos on vimeo (sandbox allow-forms)
2017-04-25 – 8.4.0
- Improved: The ‘Take over [video]’ option was renamed to ‘Use ARVE for HTML5 video embeds’ and is now enabled by default. (It never only was the shortcode but also HTML5 video file URLs on their own lines)
- New: Support for embedding Dropbox hosted HTML5 video files (mp4, webm, ogv). Needs the ‘Use ARVE for HTML5 video embeds’ to be activated. (Beta feature)
- Fix: YouTube only playlist URLs embedded without https.
2017-04-11 – 8.3.1
- Fix: Global CSS id was not correctly added.
2017-04-10 – 8.2.5
- Fix: Some Brightcove URLs were not correctly detected.
- Improved: Better automated tests and some minor code enhancements.
- Improved: Some texts, new link to the settings page below parameter field.
- Improved: How aspect ratio is handled for HTML 5 video. If not set (default) the browser will detect it based on the video file that is embedded.
- Improved: Gives the aligned videos a top margin of
0.4emto try to align them better with text.
- Improved: The ‘by ARVE’ promotion links do now open in a new tab/window.
2017-03-27 – 8.2.4
- Fixed: YouTube cards generate a youtube-nocookie.com url to a channel when the -nocookie.url is used to embedding. tltr; This is actually a YouTube bug but this is fixed in ARVE now by using the normal YouTube url for embeds. I like the additional ‘privacy’ it provides by not setting cookies as long as the user not plays a video. But considering this is not the first time YouTube has bugs related to this feature, I switched this back and forth in the past, I am considering just not using it anymore.
2017-03-25 – 8.2.3
- Fixed: ‘Disable links’ feature from the Pro Addon was not working.
- Some minor code improvements.
2017-03-20 – 8.2.2
- Moved the ARVE menu below the settings menu (where most plugins are), sorry xberg. I got complaints about global menus and I like to keep the global Nextgenthemes menu but 2 global menus is a bit to much. I have given the Nextgenthemes menu a video icon now. I hope this is a good compromise.
- Improved: Finished the German translation.
- Improved: Made the ARVE Pro promotion on the settings menu close-able, hopefully less people get offended.
2017-03-20 – 8.2.0
- Fixed: Plugin action links on installed plugin screen
- Fixed: CSS specificity issues by adding a
id="arve"to the entire document and based all the CSS on
#arve. This will end a long time battle with themes styles without using bad practices. If you have custom styles overwriting ARVE CSS you may need to increase specificity (or use
- Improved: styles and scripts and now served minified unless
- Improved: styles are now only loaded (to the bottom) when there is a video on the page.
- Improved: Settings title is now ‘Advanced Responsive Video Embedder Settings’ again rather then just ARVE.
2017-03-12 – 8.1.1
- Improved: Added ARVE to menu below plugins so it can be easy found.
- Improved: Used
wp_add_inline_stylefunction for inline styles.
- Removed some code that is not needed.
2017-03-03 – 8.0.9
- Fix: Admin page error for messing file.
2017-03-02 – 8.0.8
- Improved: Updated EDD Plugin Updater class
2017-02-24 – 8.0.7
- Fix: Options not correctly put in debug-info.
- Improved: Make License input fields a bit wider.
- Improved: Some small code improvements.
2017-02-12 – 8.0.5
- Fix: Small size of lightbox when using the Pro Addon.
2017-02-11 – 8.0.4
- CSS improved
- Updated Addon Updater Class
2017-01-03 – 8.0.2
- Fix: Errors on settings page when Pro Addon is not installed.
2016-12-17 – 8.0.1
undefined function is_plugin_active()error caused by some plugins
- Improved: Show actual meaningful message if PHP is lower then the required 5.3. Bluehost (oh proud wp.org recommended host) seems to show customers a wrong php version in the config and lets them hang on insecure end of life versions.
2016-12-09 – Pro Addon 3.6.8
- Fix: Wrongly tagged version.
2016-12-07 – Pro Addon 3.6.7
- Fix: Some thumbnails not loading.
2016-12-07 – 8.0.0
- Fix: ‘Take over [video] shortcode’ option not working. (Always acted as on, default is off)
- Fix: [video] override putting out a error for not reason.
- Improved code: Dropped 2 micro classes in favor for antonymous functions.
2016-12-07 – Pro Addon 3.6.6
- Improved: Load the CSS always in the
<head>, this enables to change its CSS with the new CSS customizer in WP 4.7 and may also fix issues with caching plugins.
2016-11-30 – 7.9.23
- Fix: Ending up with wrong URLs by disabling auto shortening of URLs when pasting them into the shortcode-ui dialog.
- Improved: Enable SSL verify for API calls.
- Improved: License action return messages.
2016-11-30 – Pro Addon 3.6.4
- Fix: Autoplay without setting
2016-11-30 – 7.9.21
- Fix: Fatal error.
2016-11-29 – Pro Addon 3.6.4
- Improved: Licensing field removed from the pro options tab (now in main plugin). This enables resetting pro options settings without deleting license key.
- Fix: Autoplay not applied property.
- Fix: HTML5 not autoplaying in lightbox.
- Improved: New default option for inview lazyload is ‘On iOS, Android and Desktops when no thumbnail is found’.
- Improved: New installations will show a message guiding users to activation screen.
2016-11-29 – 7.9.19
- Fix: ‘Embed Video’ Button not working with Advanced Custom Fields (Possibly fixed other 3rd party editor plugins compatibility issues as well) Thanks to David Trenear!
- Fix: Facebook URL detection for usernames with dots in them.
- Fix: Invisible HTML5 Lazyload-lightbox videos
- Fix: Shortcode UI script enqueued to early causing JS erros on admin pages.
- Improved: Error messages for missing mandatory attributes.
- Improved: Moved some code logic of the pro addon out of the main plugin.
disable_flashparameter mainly for unlisted providers will be treated as general iframe embeds. With set to true this will enable you to use the ‘disable_links’ feature of the pro plugin.
- New: Filters for new cool things coming up
- New: License page, relocated options page
- New: YouTube URL detection for playlists without starting video
- Possible Fix: Videos displayed to small in some Browsers
2016-10-29 – 7.9.8 and Pro Addon 3.3.4
- Fix: Fix lightbox thumbnail
- Improved: CSS
2016-10-28 – Pro Addon 3.3.1
- Fix: Fix thumbnails being displayed wrong in IE.
2016-10-28 – Pro Addon 3.3.0
- Fix: Restored broken update notifications and semi auto updates.
2016-10-28 – 7.9.7
- New: Wistia Support.
- Improved: Allow HTML in title attribute.
- Improved: Force more CSS Styles.
2016-10-27 – Pro Addon 3.2.9
- Fix: Twitch API failing (needs Client-ID now)
2016-10-27 – Pro Addon 3.2.8
- Improved: oembed error message
- Improved: Skip srcset function for PHP 5.3 and lower
2016-10-27 – 7.9.6
- Fix: Thumbnail not correctly applied to tag for self hosted videos.
- Improved: CSS for self hosted videos.
- Improved: Enabled detection for rubtube and VK and show them as supported providers, even they where supported as general iframe embeds before.
2016-10-25 – Pro Addon 3.2.7
- Fix: 2 clicks needed to play lazyloaded video on desktops
2016-10-24 – Pro Addon 3.2.5
- Fix: Custom Thumbnails not applied.
2016-10-24 – 7.9.5
- Fix: Custom Thumbnails not applied.
- Fix: Shortcode UI script only loaded if the plugin is active.
2016-10-23 – 7.9.4 and Pro Addon 3.2.3
- Fix: Multiple issues about the new HTML5 video embedding (still experimental)
2016-10-23 – Pro Addon 3.2.2
- Fix: ‘Disable Links’ not working.
2016-10-23 – Pro Addon 3.2.0
- Fix: Issue with lazyload and AJAX.
- Fix: W3TC issue by using yet another lazyload method. Final this time?
- Fix: YouTube Thumbnail detection when there are no HD images.
- Improved: Code used to cache thumbnails, this may improve improve performance.
- Improved: Lots code restructured and improved.
- New: New Lazyload mode setting to prevent “two touched needed to play video on mobiles” issue. Its also
- New: Facebook thumbnail detection.
2016-10-23 – 7.9.2
- Fix: Brightcove Autoplay issue.
- Fix: Liveleak thumbnail detection issues.
- Fix: Parameters not being added.
- Fix: Twitch single videos not using https
- Fix: Vevo marked to require flash to make it work again.
- Improved: Better dialog with better description and links about the shortcake UI plugin.
- Improved: Facebook embed method.
- Improved: Lots code restructured and improved.
- Improved: Parameters are always possible no matter the provider.
- Improved: Restructure of the plugin, abandon OOP mostly.
- Improved: Revive saving of last setting page tab.
- New: “Image Cache Time” setting on the setting page. Thumbnail URLs form the media gallery can now be cached with transients, that may improve performance.
- New: Support for self hosted videos (experimental)
2016-10-03 – Pro Addon 2.5.2
- Fix: Force button styles to make sure themes styles get overwritten.
Pro Addon 2.5.1 beta – 2016-09-21
- New: Thumbnail support for Liveleak.
- Fix: Update loop.
Pro Addon 2.5.0 beta – 2016-09-21
- Improved: Thumbnails detection.
- Improved how license keys are handled when set in wp-config.php.
7.5.1 beta – 2016-09-21
- Fix: Liveleak seems to require flash for some videos.
7.5.0 beta – 2016-09-21
- Fix: Youku URL detection and aspect ratio.
.arve-innercss class in favor of some more specific classes combining styles.
- Improved: removed TGMPA class because it was causing horrible issues.
Pro Addon 2.4.5 beta – 2016-09-19
- New: Adds the ability to define the pro key in your wp-config.php file with
define( 'ARVE_PRO_KEY', 'your_key_here' ). When activating the plugin it now also tries to activate its license when a key is defined.
7.4.3 beta – 2016-09-19
- Fix: Deal with fluid-vids script messing with this plugin, making videos invisible.
Pro Addon 2.4.0 beta – 2016-09-18
- New: Adds Yahoo auto thumbnail and title support
7.4.1 beta – 2016-09-18
- New: Adds Yahoo Video support
7.3.2 beta – 2016-09-17
- Fix: Remove security=”restricted” from iframes to make IE work again.
7.3.1 beta – 2016-09-17
- Fix: Get rid of undefined index warnings when pro addon is not active.
7.3.0 beta – 2016-09-17
- Improved: Show admin notices only to users who have the ‘activate_plugins’ capability.
- Improved: Added notice to the readme for the TGMPA cause white screen of death issue.
Pro Addon 2.3.2 – 2016-09-17
- Possible Fix for not centered play button.
7.2.13 beta – 2016-09-16
- Fix: Set fitvidsignore class and remove the Fitvids container to prevent it from messing with ARVE embeds.
- Fix: Remove possible width and height parameters on iframes to prevent scripts from messing with ARVE embeds.
7.2.12 beta – 2016-09-16
- Improved: replaced static:: with self:: to support older php versions.
7.2.10 beta – 2016-09-15
- Fix: [iframe] shortcode not working.
Pro Addon 2.3.1 beta – 2016-09-15
- New: Added support for displaying title of videos on top of the thumbnail images.
- New: Responsive thumbnails using srcset the browser takes the best image resolution for the users device. (HTML5 srcset)
- New: Choose between 3 hover styles for the thumbnails: ‘zoom image’ (new default), ‘rectangle move in’ (old), or ‘none’ where only the play button changes.
- New: Choose beween 2 play button styles.
- Fix: Screenfull error.
- Fix: License API call.
- Improved: Rectangle animation.
- Improved: Updated ‘lity’ lightbox script.
- Improved: Thumbnail handling.
- Improved: Removed the ‘Lazyload Maximal Width’ setting to simplify things (there still is ‘Maximal Width’ and ‘Aligned Maximal Width’).
- Improved: Removed the ‘Fake Thumbnail’ feature because the entire idea was bad and real thumbnails should be used.
- Improved: Updated EDD_SL_Plugin_Updater Class
- Dropped PHP Class.
7.2.9 beta – 2016-09-15
- New: Recommend and guide to users to install Shortcake (Shortcode UI) via TGMPA
- New: Amazing catch-all shortcode [arve url=”…”] that can be used for all supported providers and even with any iframe
srcif all unlisted providers that support responsive iframe embeds.
- New: Support for kla.tv.
- New: Support for youku (fulfilled request)
- New: New Advanced Shortcode Dialog with nice UI for choose thumbnails from your WP Media Gallery, very detailed helping texts, display of default settings, hiding of fields based on need …
- New: WYSIWYG Preview of Shortcodes.
- New: The two above features need the Shortcake (Shortcode UI) Plugin that is maybe moving into WordPress core later.
- New: A default alignment can now be set in the Settings page. (fulfilled request)
- New: ‘iframe_name’ shortcode parameter for
<iframe name="xxxxx", useful when wanting to target ARVE embeds with links. (fulfilled request)
- New: ARVE is now SEO friendly giving you the ability to add some schema.org microdata. Googles tools should not complain anymore if you add title, description and upload date. (fulfilled request)
- Deleted Language files in favor of wordpress.org managed translations volunteers are welcome 😉
- Improved: Got rid of PHP globals.
- Improved: Added image upload dialog to settings page and shortcode dialog.
- Improved: Better CSS to overwrite unwanted theme styles.
- Improved: Lots if code improvements.
- Improved: SSL enabled and forced when supported by provoders.
- Fix: Blury Vimeo thumbnails
- Fix: Prevent Dashboard Widget conflicts with WP Helpers plugin (possibly others). Thanks to Steve Bruner.
- Fix: Issue with unwanted borders showing on embeds.
- Fix: youtu.be URLs now detected correct in shortcode dialog.
- Fix: All Vevo URLs are now detected correctly.
- Fix: Bool options settings.
- Removed blip because the service was shutdown.
- Removed myvideo.de because the service was restructured.
- Fix: Always prevent scrollbars.
Pro Addon 1.4.4
- Fixed: Infinite update loop.
- Improved: Updated Updater class.
Pro Addon 1.4.3
- Fixed: rectangle overflow issue.
Pro Addon 1.4.2
- Fixed: license activation problems.
Pro Addon 1.4.1
- Fixed critical bug for auto updates. Please click here if your update fails.
- Fix: Facebook (now really, hopefully).
- Fix: Facebook in lazyload modes.
- New: Facebook video support.
- Fix?: Iframes are now created with a fixed 853×480 size in feeds, this probably will fix some feedreaders incorrectly or not displaying videos.
- Improved: Disabled file URL detection as this solution was bad.
- Fixed/Improved: [arve_tests] shortcode.
Pro Addon 1.4
- Fix: Fake thumbnails now work for lazyload-lightbox mode.
6.3.1 & Pro Addon 1.4.0
- Improved: Testing Shortcode.
- Improved: When there is no thumbnail lazyload mode will fall back to normal mode.
- New: Added support for alugha.com.
Pro Addon 1.1.5
- New: Added setting and parameter grow=”yes/no” to control the grow-on-click behaviour that was introduced in 6.0 to your liking.
- Improved: Added thumbnail and grow parameters to the Shortcode Creator Dialog.
- Improved: Updated screenshots.
Pro Addon 1.1.3
- Improved: link-linghtbox mode does not force a newline for the link anymore.
- Fix: Autoplaying in Background when navigating back in browser.
Pro Addon 1.1.0
- Fix: Various issues reguarding lightbox mode.
- Fix: Messages about pro addon removed when it is installed.
Pro Addon 1.0.7
- Fix: Video start playing again invisible when closeing lightbox with ESC.
- Improved: Adds a “Debug Info” tab to the settings page copy pasting when there is are issue.
Pro Addon 1.0.6
- Remove development functions.
Pro Addon 1.0.4
- Possibly Fixes SSL issues during activation.
Pro Addon 1.0.3
- Fix: Maxwidth issue.
- Fix: Foreach php error
- Fix: Youtube URL with starttime.
6.0.3 Beta, Pro Addon 1.0.3
- Fix: Max-width output issue.
6.0.2 Beta – 2015/07/24 – work time: ~60 days
Please check the migration guide about upgrading to this version.
- Fix: Jackpack Shortcode Embeds module incompatibility.
- New: URL parameters are now possible via URLs used for embeds (passed to iframe src).
- Changed: URL parameters to controll arve features are now ‘arve[mode]=’ style instead of ‘arve-mode=’.
- Improved: Enabled HTTPS support for Viddler and MyVideo.
- Improved: TED Talks shortcodes now support the ‘lang’ parameter.
- Improved: New embed URLs for MyVideo.
- Improved: Better Twitch support.
- Improved: Dailymotion HTTPS support.
- Improved: To reduce CSS and keep it simpler aspect ratios are now handled with inline styles.
- Improved: Moved to complete WP Settings API.
- Improved: Tabbed and extendable options page.
- Improved: Massive code improvements.
- Improved: Replaced all Admin Messages that caused bugs and annoyance for users with a dashboard Widget.
Pro Addon 1.0.1
- New: link-lightbox mode creates a link the triggers a lightbox with a video on click.
Pro Addon 0.9.7
- Fix: Lazyload videos not growing when global maxwidth setting was set.
- Improved: Finally got rid of the jQuery Colorbox depency, the Pro Addon now includes lity for lightboxes.
Pro Addon 0.9.5
- Fix: Licensing Activation should now finally work correcty. (Multisite may need some tweaks)
- Fix: Pissibility of unwanted margins/paddings on the transparent button.
Pro Addon 0.9.0
- Changed: ‘Lazyload’ mode now grows the video size after thumbnails are clicked.
- Changed: ‘Thumbnail’ mode is now called ‘Lazyload -> Colorbox’ and has a sightly different behavior.
- New: ‘Lazyload -> Fullscreen’ mode to instandly go Fullscreen after clicking the Lazyloaded preview image.
- New: ‘Lazyload -> Fixed’ Fullscreen/-window mode (extremly experimental) with ability to resize fixed video on screen while reading the page.
- New: ‘thumbnail’ parameter, take image URL or a ID to a media libray image to be used as thumbnail image.
- Improved: Enabled fake thumbnails for USTREAM and myvideo.de.
- Depricated: Providers that only support
<object>are from now only supported in normal mode, will switch automatically. This effects only recorded Twitch videos, flickr and veoh.
5.3.4 Beta – 2015/03/15
- Fix: ID detection for youtu.be and dai.ly URLs, will now work with https://(www.) as well.
- Fix: Myvideo.de videos with 7 and 8 digit IDs.
- Fix: Workarround for a currently ongoing YouTube issue causing YouTube embeds to fail with erros on mobile devives. This was not a ‘bug’ caused by this plugin btw.
- Fix: Die ‘Array’ errors DIE!
- Improved: Added shortcode example to youtube starttime examples.
- Improved: Clarified from who the admin messages come.
- If you get a error ‘… array …’ please reset your options on the options page and redo the options you had before
- Fix: ‘… expected array’ error when saving options on some cases. If you get a error please reset your
- Fix: ttp://youtu.be/… shortlinks are not detected correctly in the shortcode creator dialog.
- Improved: Ported code to WordPress Plugin Boilerplate 3.0 style.
- Improved: Switched vevo and xtube from object to iframe embeds.
- Improved: Lots of minor code enhancements.
- Fix: Removed mixed content warnungs for youtube and vimeo.
- Translation updates.
- New: Vimeo HTTPS support (works automatically if your site is HTTPS)
- Improved: Marked as working with WP 4.0
- Fix: Options var error
- Fix: Max-width options should now work in all circumstances
- Improved: Various CSS improvements
- Improved: Changed play overlay image to a Google+ style image
- Fix: Removed autohide#1 from default YouTube Parameters since it causes a YouTube bug in the HTML5 player.
- Updated: Spanish translation now 80% complete. Thanks Xarkitu!
- Improved: Do not load admin dialog when doing AJAX
- Fix: Iframe code detection
- Improvement: PHP required version lowered to 5.2.4
- Fix: Save of custom URL parameters
- New: CHANGES.md file for github updater
- Fix: Fatal PHP Error on activation.
- Fix: Readme spellings.
- Fix: Minor options page spelling and field association fixes.
- Fix: Added Lazyload to mode select in the shortcode dialog.
- New: 4players.de support.
- New: Added parameter input to the shortcode dialog.
- Improved: Default options are no longer stored in the database.
- Improved: Transparency fade animation on thumbnail hover.
- Improved: No more ugly URL hash (#arve-load-video) after clicking links.
- Improved: Dropped IE 8 support for Lazyload mode.
- Improved: Lots of code improvements.
- New: Added Iframe examples.
- Improved: Limited support for self hosted Videos. Dialog will detect URLS that end up with .webm .mp4 .ogg creates a iframe embed code with them. This is probaly not the best way to do this but it works. Real HTML5 video tag embeds may come later.
- Improved: Redesigned the button to look like WordPress and move it out of the Tiny MCE Editor. This enables you to embed videos in the code editor as well.
- Improved: Redesigned the Shortcode Creator dialog. Less clutter, more compact and it now includes the recently introduced
- New: As requested:
- Fix: Vimeo playing problems in Firefox.
- Fix: Play button not showing.
- New: Vine support
- New: Support for starttime from youtube URLs
- Improved: Include play image inside CSS, -1 http request may speed things up
- Improved: Tests
- New: Trigger-able debug output.
- Improved: The
[arve_tests]shortcode now includes alignment and maxwidth tests
- Fix: Thumbnail image now displayed when using lazyload with
- Improved: Allowing
- Fix: Thumbnail not opening Colorbox
- New: I am proud to introduce the new ‘lazyload’ mode. ARVEs new default mode. Load Images only and load the Video only on click. Like Google+ without the title.
- New: Added MPORA support
- New: Added (real) thumbnail support for Collegehumor, Twitch, FunnyOrDie, MPORA
[arve_tests]shortcode that is used to test the plugin and provide examples.
[arve_supported]shortcode probably of no use for users. It will generate the a list of providers with supported features.
- Improved: Enabled fake thumbnails for Comedycentral, Gametrailers and Spike
- Improved: Remote API calls and handling their errors.
- Improved: Get high resolution thumbnails from YouTube if available.
- Improved: The evil admin message is now only shown once to users who can delete plugins (Admins and the like) and if the plugin was activated a week ago or longer.
- Improved: Lots of smaller code improvements.
- Fix: Register link in changelog.
- New: Thanks to Ilya Grishkov thumbnail URLs for Vimeo, Blip and Dailymotion Playlists are now cached (by default 24hours) this drastically reduces page loading times for thumbnail embeds from these providers because it bypasses calling their APIs for that period.
- Fix: Thumbnails for YouTube playlists.
- Fix: Shortcode creator ID detection for iframes (src URL)
- Fix: Updated Dailymoton docs link on Options page
- Improved: Error messages are now all ready to be translated. Current Translation status: German 50%, French 50%, Spanish 84%. Register at nextgenthemes.com and then login to translate.nextgenthemes.com to help translate.
- New: Twitch.tv support
- New: Spanish Translation from Andrew Kurtis webhostinghub.com
- Improved: Support for
- Improved: Some code improvements, among them IDs of hidden objects are now generated with a simple
staticcounter instead of some random generated string.
- Fix: Bug causing the Shortcode Creator not detecting shortcode tags when customized
- Improved how embeds
<object>embed codes are generated.
- Updated FAQ
- New: Xtube support (On request)
- New: Custom parameters!
- Fix: Youtube playlists now work correctly
- Fix: Translations are working again (incomplete German and French)
endshortcode parametets should not be used anymore with youtube, instead use the new parameters feature like
- Improved: The evil message at the admin.
3.1.1 (github only)
- Improved: Added
pxsuffix to values on options page
- New: Development versions now available via Github Plugin Updater please install this to test cutting edge versions
- New: Introducing ‘Align Maximal Width’ option
- Fix: Invisible normal mode embeds with align
- Fix: Yahoo detection
- Fix: Kickstarter detection
- Fix: Daylimoition Playlist
- Fix: Colleghumor
- Improved: Screenshots updated
- Improved: Beginning process of provider based aspect ratios.
- Improved: Dailymotion playlists/jukeboxes now show Native thumbnails
- Improved: Iframe embed code detection with with single quoted
- New: Support for embedding via simply pasting of URLs into posts (need to be on their own line, no button or shortcodes needed)
- New: Thumbnails are now responsive
- New: Vevo support
- New: TED Talks support
- New: IGN support
- New: Kickstarter support
- Improved: request large thumbnail from vimeo instead of medium
- Improved: ‘youtubelist’ shortcode deprecated YouTube playlists are now handled via the normal youtube shortcode with support for starting video
- Improved: ‘bliptv’ shortcode deprecated on favor of ‘blip’ that uses the ids from blip.tv URLs instead of the ones from embed codes
- Improved: Moved code to newest Plugin Boilerplate
- Improved: Massive code improvements
- Fix: Dropped mb_detect_encoding now using just preg_match to support rare php setups.
- New: Added French Translation from Karel – neo7.fr
- Fix: Permissions for the button, now authors who
- Fix: Admin page capabilities
- Improved: Reintroduced the manual provider and ID input to be used then not detected correctly.
- Fix: Black bar issue. (Dropped IE6 hacks/workarounds)
- Fix: Normal embeds not sizing correctly
- New: Added scrolling#”no” to Iframes
- Improved: Init shortcodes at a late stage to dominate conflicts
- Improved: Improved Iframe parameter handling
- Improved: Metacafe, Myspace, Videojug are now handled via Iframe
- Fix: Objects open correctly in Colorbox
- Fix: Iframe autoplay parameters startign with ‘&’
- New: Added screenshot for options page
- Improved: Youtube Videos with now me embedded with the same protocol your website is on, meaning if your website is https youtube embeds will be in https as well.
- Fix: Colorbox args script not having colorbox in depenency array
- Fix: Maxwidth shortcode generator field now has default value#””
- Fix: Blip embed code detection
- Improved: Move to a class structure with help of the great https://github.com/tommcfarlin/WordPress-Plugin-Boilerplate
- Improved: Some smaller Improvements
- New: Shortcode Dialog now has Autoplay option
- New: Guessing of autoplay parameters for the Iframe shortcodes.
- Fix: Objects in Colorboxes, now always have width and height 100%
- new shortcode attribute ‘autoplay’ for single videos
- support for start at given time for vimeo
- propper licence
- Class renamed
- fix for maxwidth wrapper no maxwidth option is set
- Security and general code improvements
- Added autoplay option
- added Yahoo!
- spike bugfix
- small improvements to code
- removed the fixed mode
- added youtubes modestbranding mode
- added missing veoh id detection
- fixed vimeo id detection
- added now custom thumbnail feature
- fixed the align class creation
- renamed the shortcode dialog
- removed the text field for teh fixed width option (beginning of the removal process)
- added new tinymce botton with dialog to detect ids from URL’s and embed codes and automatically create shortcodes
- removed the image resizer (Faster and more secure for servers), now uses just CSS. Polyfill for for IE to support ‘background-size’ included.
- changed the play overlay image to a bigger one
- added comedycentral, spike
- removed google video, it died
- lots of improvements and fixes
- fixed gametrailers and collegehumor
- fixed options handling for updateded options
- added ustream support
- renamed a function to prevent issues with other plugins
- corrected readme errors, typos and added better description to shortcode options
- lots of code improvements, now uses wordpress settings api, and propper sanitising
- added flickr video, archive.org
- inproved how flashvars were implemented
- Options dialog overhaul
- replaced Fancybox with Colorbox
- Removed Services that went down over the years
- Changed the way shortcodes were implemented from regexp to wordpress ‘add shortcode’ function
- Started by improving the WordPress ‘Video Embedder Plugin’ but now complete new code