Easy to use plugin, that blocks access to your wp-admin area by country. Uses geoip-api-php as the library to work out the visitor’s country.
1) Install WordPress 4.4.1 or higher
2) Download the latest from:
3) Login to WordPress admin, click on Plugins / Add New / Upload, then upload the zip file you just downloaded.
4) Activate the plugin.
I have discovered this plugins and I’m testing it in WP Versión 4.7.3.
It looks good. I have used to modify my location “Just Proxy VPN” Chrome extension.
Well, I do not see it working. I have blocked all the countries and I have logged in with the navigator Tor who identified me in Germany (blocked) and has let me access the administration panel without problems
After a serious hack, this will save us from another.
Plugin does not seem to work at all. Wordfence reports several failed logins from many foreign countries even though local IP database is uploaded, backup external IP is set and all foreign countries are blocked.
Wordfence live traffic login and logouts reports messages like this still after activation of Admin Block Country plugin:
Dipolog City, Philippines attempted a failed login as “****”.
IP: 18.104.22.168 [block]
26.9.2015 16.51.19 (42 minutes ago)
Italy Rome, Italy attempted a failed login as “****”.
IP: 22.214.171.124 [block]
26.9.2015 15.40.52 (1 hour 53 mins ago)
Egypt Giza, Egypt attempted a failed login as “****”.
IP: 126.96.36.199 [block]
26.9.2015 15.35.33 (1 hour 58 mins ago)
Turkey Ankara, Turkey attempted a failed login as “****”.
IP: 188.8.131.52 [block]
26.9.2015 15.31.49 (2 hours 2 mins ago)
Serbia Belgrade, Serbia attempted a failed login as “****”.
IP: 184.108.40.206 [block]
26.9.2015 14.32.22 (3 hours 1 min ago)
Argentina Ezpeleta, Argentina attempted a failed login as “****”.
IP: 220.127.116.11 [block]
26.9.2015 14.02.15 (3 hours 31 mins ago)
Seems to be very good and no slowing down of the sites tested.
Don’t forget to install the datafile first as per the instructions!
Contributors & Developers
“Admin Block Country” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed security issue which blocked requests to ipcountry.marketingmix.com.au.
- Improved code.
- I removed Who country service. You can now upload your own local ip database from maxmind. I’ve added in the instructions.
- New IP to country service – utrace. Example http://xml.utrace.de/?query=18.104.22.168
- Removed Tom M8te dependency.
- Fixed bug with Admin “Select All” checkbox. Played havac with service selector. Never noticed it before.
- Fixed bug with geoplugin.
- Added in ipcountry.marketingmix.com.au ip to country service which is a server that I own. I noticed that the existing 2 have failed atleast once.
- Tried Maxmind in version 3.0, but 2 of my clients couldn’t use it, so I’ve ditched it and now I use two external services: http://who.is, http://www.geoplugin.net.
- Uses another method for discovering the country of an ip address.
- Used a different method for discovering the country of an ip address. Seems to be less memory intensive.
- Initial Commit