Some enterprising individuals have noticed that the version number in the nightly builds has jumped from 1.3 to 1.5. I’ve heard a number of interesting ideas for why this is, including:
- Even numbers are soooo 2004
- 2 + 3 = 5 (who can argue with that?)
- They released 1.3 without telling us
- They’re switching to letters (WordPress XP, WordPress CS, WordPress MX)
- They’re switching to years (WordPress 2004, WordPress 2005…)
If you have your own theory then ping this entry. The funniest ping gets a free copy of WordPress 1.2005 XP edition.
(The real reason is we wanted the version to be indictative of the changes in the underlying codebase, and 1.5 has a lot. We’re still pretty conservative with version numbers though, if we were Microsoft we’d be on 10.0 already.)