By using the Scribd embed block, you can embed various articles, e-books, or research papers into your posts and pages. You don’t need a Scribd account to embed an article, although what you are embedding needs to be public.
Steps to embed an article from Scribd
- On the Scribd app, click on the article that you want to embed in your post/page & click on the “Embed” option
- After clicking on the “Embed” option, a pop-up will appear with several options:
It contains several options for you to choose from. Here you can choose the size of your article/e-book, choose the page number it starts from, as well as see a preview of your document.
- After altering the options in the pop-up as per your needs, copy the URL on the top of this pop-up
- Add a Scribd Embed block to your page or post by clicking on the (+) Block Inserter icon and selecting the Scribd block.. Alternatively, you can type
/scribdand press enter.
Detailed instructions on adding blocks
- Paste the URL copied from the Scribd Embed option in the text box.
- Click the “Embed” button. If it’s a link that can be successfully embedded you will see a preview in your editor.
If you use a URL that can’t be embedded, the block shows the message “Sorry, this content could not be embedded.”
In that case, you’ll have two choices: Try again with a different URL or Convert to a link.
7. Click on “Preview” to see how it will look on the front-end
Besides the Mover and Drag & Drop Handle, the Block Toolbar for the Scribd embed shows four buttons:
- Transform to
- Change alignment
- Edit URL, and
- More Options.
You can transform a Scribd embed into a Paragraph, Group, or Column. Transforming it into a Group would give you the ability to change the background color and other settings of the Scribd embed, as shown below:
- Wide width – Increase the width of the block beyond the content size
- Full width – extend the Scribd block to cover the full width of the screen.
- Align left – Make the Scribd block left aligned
- Align center – Make the Scribd block alignment centered
- Align right – Make the Scribd block align right
“Wide width” and “Full width” alignment need to be enabled by the Theme of your site.
Via the edit URL, you can change the Scribd Embed URL in the embed block. Overwrite the existing URL and click on the “Embed” Button.
These controls give you the option to copy, duplicate, and edit your block as HTML.
Read about these and other settings.
Besides the Advanced section, the Scribd embed has only one other setting in the “Block Settings” sidebar: Media Settings.
Via the Media Settings you can control the behavior of your embed when viewed from a smaller device, like on a phone screen.
The Toggle switch turns on or off the resize functionality for smaller devices. The default setting is “on” or blue.
“Off:” This embed may not preserve its aspect ratio when the browser is resized. In the off position, the toggle switch is gray.
“On:” This embed will preserve its aspect ratio when the browser is resized. The toggle switch turns blue in the “On” position.
The “Advanced” tab lets you add CSS class(es) to your block.
The “Additional CSS class(es)” lets you add CSS class(es) to your block, allowing you to write custom CSS and style the block as you see fit.
- Updated 2022-11-25
- Removed redundant content
- Aligned images for mobile view
- Updated 2022-08-23
- Updated with images from WordPress 6.0
- Added new “Transform to” setting (Column)
- Added “Edit as HTML”, “Lock”, and “Add to Reusable Blocks” information under More Options
- Added Media Settings documentation
- Added ALT tags for the images
- Updated 2020-11-27
- added WP 5.6 images
- Removed items from More Options and Advanced
- Updated 2020-08-19
- Replaced “More Options” – new screenshot
- Added “Move To” and “Copy” section under More Options
- Updated 2020-08-11
- Screenshots as per WordPress 5.5
- Embedded VideoPress video
- Created 2020-07-27
Was this article helpful? How could it be improved?
Log in to submit feedback. If you need support with something that wasn't covered by this article, please post your question in the support forums.