The Pocket Casts Embed block is a new WordPress feature, and a variation of the Embed block. The block enables you to insert any Pocket Casts content, such as a podcast page, an episode, and the time position within an episode, into your post or page.
Keep in mind that you will need to subscribe to a premium Pocket Casts account to add your favorite or own Pocket Casts content into the block.
To add the Pocket Casts Embed block to the editor, click the (+) icon at the top left corner to open the Block Inserter. Search for and then click the Pocket Casts Embed block to add it to the editor.
Alternatively, you can manually insert the Pocket Casts Embed block using the keyboard shortcut /pocket-casts.
Once inserted, you can embed a Pocket Casts URL to the block. Here are the steps to insert a podcast page and an episode to the Pocket Casts Embed block:
- Find a podcast and click on it to open the podcast page. Hover your mouse over the podcast title and click the Share button.
- If you want to share an episode, click on the episode and click the Share button on the pop-up window. Here is an example of the Share Episode pop-up window:
- Copy the URL link from the pop-up window. Here is an example of the Share Podcast pop-up window:
- Paste the URL link into the text box on the Pocket Casts Embed block and click the Embed button.
- You will see a preview of the embedded podcast content on the editor.
Moreover, you can also embed a Pocket Casts URL directly into the block editor. Here are the steps:
- Create a new post.
- Copy and paste a Pocket Casts URL into the block editor, for example, https://pca.st/k2rof194 or https://pca.st/qekyjgs6.
- Check if the URL is replaced by the Pocket Casts player.
The block toolbar displays several tools used to customize each block. When you select the Pocket Casts Embed block, it will show the block toolbar that contains the following tools:
Use the Transform button to change the Pocket Casts Embed block into a Paragraph, a Column, or a Group block.
You can change the alignment of the Pocket Casts Embed block using this tool. Click on the Change alignment button and select one of the following alignment options:
- None – is the default block size.
- Wide width – increases the block width beyond the content size.
- Full width – extends the block to cover the full width of the screen.
- Align left – make the block left-aligned.
- Align center – make the block center-aligned.
- Align right – make the block right-aligned.
The Edit URL button only appears after you have embedded the podcast content. It lets you change the Pocket Casts Embed’s URL via the Embed block. Overwrite the existing URL and paste a new one on the URL field and click the Embed button to confirm the changes.
The More option on a block toolbar gives you more features to customize the block.
- Show/Hide more settings opens or closes the block settings panel on the editor’s sidebar. Its functionality is similar to clicking the Settings button next to the Publish button.
- Copy block adds the comment author block into the clipboard. Then, you can paste it anywhere you want in the block editor.
- Duplicate creates a copy of the selected block that appears after the current block.
- Insert before adds a new block before the selected block(s).
- Insert after adds a new block after the selected block(s).
- Edit as HTML allows you to customize the HTML code for the selected block.
- Lock prevents users from moving or deleting the selected block. A pop-up window will appear to set the block locking attribute to the selected block. You can disable movement, prevent removal, or both for the selected block.
- Create Reusable block makes the selected block a reusable block. A pop-up window will appear to set the name for the block.
- Group turns the selected block(s) into a group of blocks so you can configure them as a unit.
- Remove Embed deletes the selected block from the editor.
WordPress blocks have specific configuration options in the block settings panel. To access the Pocket Casts Embed block settings panel, click the Settings button at the top-right corner of the WordPress editor. Alternatively, click the More options or three dots icon in the Pocket Casts Embed block toolbar and select Show more settings.
The Media settings option allows you to control the behavior of the Pocket Casts Embed block when viewed from a smaller device, such as a mobile phone screen. The option only appears after you have embedded the podcast content. The Media settings option is active by default.
When you turn the toggle switch off, the Pocket Casts Embed block may not preserve its aspect ratio when the browser’s window is resized. Meanwhile, if the option is active, the block will maintain its aspect ratio regardless of the browser’s window size.
The Advanced section allows you to add CSS class(es) to the Pocket Casts Embed block. Therefore, you can insert custom CSS styles into the block.
- Created 2022-11-25
Was this article helpful? How could it be improved?
Log in to submit feedback. If you need suppport with something that wasn't covered by this article, please post your question in the support forums.