On April 29, 2020, WordPress 5.4.1 was released to the public.
To download WordPress 5.4.1, update automatically from the Dashboard > Updates menu in your site’s admin area or visit https://wordpress.org/download/release-archive/.
For step-by-step instructions on installing and updating WordPress:
If you are new to WordPress, we recommend that you begin with the following:
- New To WordPress – Where to Start
- First Steps With WordPress or Upgrading WordPress Extended
- WordPress Lessons
Six security issues affect WordPress versions 5.4 and earlier; version 5.4.1 fixes them, so you’ll want to upgrade. If you haven’t yet updated to 5.4, there are also updated versions of 5.3 and earlier that fix the security issues.
- Props to Muaz Bin Abdus Sattar and Jannes who both independently reported an issue where password reset tokens were not properly invalidated
- Props to ka1n4t for finding an issue where certain private posts can be viewed unauthenticated
- Props to Evan Ricafort for discovering an XSS issue in the Customizer
- Props to Ben Bidner from the WordPress Security Team who discovered an XSS issue in the search block
- Props to Nick Daugherty from WPVIP.com / WordPress Security Team who discovered an XSS issue in wp-object-cache
- Props to Ronnie Goodrich (Kahoots) and Jason Medeiros who independently reported an XSS issue in file uploads.
- Additionally, an authenticated XSS issue in the block editor was discovered by Nguyen the Duc in WordPress 5.4 RC1 and RC2. It was fixed in 5.4 RC5. We wanted to be sure to give credit and thank them for all of their work in making WordPress more secure.
WordPress 5.4.1 also fixes some regressions introduced in version 5.4:
- #49838 – Accessibility: Fix the headings hierarchy on the Freedoms page
- #49798 – Customize: Give the WordPress logo a white background for dark mode browsers
- #49853 – Mail: Make the check for empty post title in
- #49753 – Media: Remove
display: none;from the (visually hidden)
<input type="file">button used in Plupload to select files for uploading. Fixes selecting files in Edge <= 44 and iOS Safari
- #49802 – Privacy: Make the deprecated
wp_get_user_request_data()function available on front end
- #49645 – REST API: Fix revisions controller get_item permission check
- #49648 – REST API: Fix
_fieldsfiltering of registered rest fields
- #49824 – Site Health: Instantiation prevents use of some hooks by plugins
- #49759 – Taxonomy: Un-deprecate
- #49974 – Block Editor updates
Thank you to everyone who contributed to WordPress 5.4.1:
Alex Concha, Andrea Fercia, Andrew Duthie, Andrew Ozz, Andy Fragen, Andy Peatling, arnaudbroes, Chris Van Patten, Daniel Richards, DhrRob, Dono12, dudo, ehtis, Ella van Durpe, Garrett Hyder, Ian Belanger, Ipstenu (Mika Epstein), Jake Spurlock, Jb Audras, John Blackbourn, John James Jacoby, Jonathan Desrosiers, Jorge Costa, K. Adam White, Kelly Choyce-Dwan, MarkRH, mattyrob, Miguel Fonseca, Mohammad Jangda, Mukesh Panchal, Nick Daugherty, noahtallen, Paul Biron, Peter Westwood, Peter Wilson, pikamander2, r-a-y, Riad Benguella, Robert Anderson, Samuel Wood (Otto), Sergey Biryukov, Søren Brønsted, Stanimir Stoyanov, tellthemachines, Timothy Jacobs, Toro_Unit (Hiroshi Urabe), treecutter, and yohannp.
For more information, browse the full list of changes on Trac.
/wp-admin/css/about.css /wp-admin/css/edit.css /wp-admin/freedoms.php /wp-admin/images/w-logo-blue.png /wp-admin/includes/deprecated.php /wp-includes/assets/script-loader-packages.php /wp-includes/blocks/rss.php /wp-includes/blocks/search.php /wp-includes/cache.php /wp-includes/class-wp-customize-manager.php /wp-includes/class-wp-object-cache.php /wp-includes/class-wp-query.php /wp-includes/css/media-views.css /wp-includes/deprecated.php /wp-includes/formatting.php /wp-includes/post.php /wp-includes/rest-api/endpoints/class-wp-rest-controller.php /wp-includes/rest-api/endpoints/class-wp-rest-revisions-controller.php /wp-includes/taxonomy.php /wp-includes/user.php /wp-includes/version.php /wp-mail.php /wp-settings.php
@wordpress/block-directory: 1.5.8 @wordpress/block-editor: 3.7.8 @wordpress/block-library: 2.14.8 @wordpress/edit-post: 3.13.10 @wordpress/editor: 9.12.8 @wordpress/format-library: 1.14.8