{"id":9473940,"date":"2017-09-06T20:35:18","date_gmt":"2017-09-06T20:35:18","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/the-key-issue-is-blocks-not-everyone-thinks-that-way\/"},"modified":"2017-09-06T20:35:18","modified_gmt":"2017-09-06T20:35:18","slug":"the-key-issue-is-blocks-not-everyone-thinks-that-way","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/the-key-issue-is-blocks-not-everyone-thinks-that-way\/","title":{"rendered":"The key issue is blocks &#8211; not everyone thinks that way"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>So after following the back and forth on make.wordpress I finally installed Gutenberg and tried it out. Oh such fail. I think the core issue is really simple &#8211; as a writer I don&#8217;t think in blocks. Ever. This forces me as a writer to conceptualize my writing in a way I just don&#8217;t want to. Here are a few illustrative issues:<\/p>\n<p><strong>Paragraph to bullet<\/strong><br \/>\nSometimes I&#8217;m not sure when I&#8217;m drafting whether I&#8217;m going to flush out a thought into a full paragraph or just leave it as bullets. I write in the bullets and maybe come back and write more or maybe just highlight all of them and choose &#8220;list&#8221;. But currently a carriage return makes a new block and you can&#8217;t multi-select blocks&#8230; Ugg.<\/p>\n<p><strong>Inserting a photo into a paragraph<\/strong><br \/>\nNope.<\/p>\n<p><strong>Drag and drop of text<\/strong><br \/>\nNope.<\/p>\n<p>&#8212;&#8212;&#8211;<br \/>\nI just don&#8217;t fundamentally understand how this is &#8220;simpler&#8221; than what we had before for the user. It may be simpler under the hood. It may make it simpler to connect content to a CMS on the back end. But in no way is this simpler for the user. And here&#8217;s the kicker &#8211; 100% of the stated goals of this project could be achieved in a vastly simpler way if you got rid of the concept of &#8220;blocks&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p>Distraction free writing? Move the TinyMCE controls to the sidebar.<br \/>\nWant to format large sections of text together (like a block)? Click and drag the text and you get controls in the sidebar.<br \/>\nContextual controls? The ribbon in MS office does this just fine without needing to split text into &#8220;blocks&#8221;.<br \/>\nMore advanced layout without needing to code themes? Again, MS Office has all sorts of layout options that don&#8217;t necessitate breaking everything into blocks.<\/p>\n<p>The issue here isn&#8217;t so much that Gutenberg doesn&#8217;t have a good goal in mind. Nor is it an issue with implementation. It&#8217;s a higher level issue with strategy. Block editing is a dead end that only appeals to a vocal subset of content creators. This should NEVER be included in core and I&#8217;d love to see a competing project that tries to achieve the same ends without the blocks.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-9473940","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/9473940","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/9473940\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=9473940"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}