{"id":9188845,"date":"2017-06-01T21:06:25","date_gmt":"2017-06-01T21:06:25","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/error-when-changing-jetpack-settings\/"},"modified":"2017-06-01T21:06:25","modified_gmt":"2017-06-01T21:06:25","slug":"error-when-changing-jetpack-settings","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/error-when-changing-jetpack-settings\/","title":{"rendered":"Error when changing Jetpack settings"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>(Spinoff thread as same error message appears to result from different problems)<\/p>\n<p>Recap:<br \/>\nI can&#8217;t change any Jetpack settings on my self-hosted site anarchic-teapot.net, and the error is always<\/p>\n<blockquote><p>Error updating settings. SyntaxError: Unexpected token &lt; in JSON at position 0<\/p><\/blockquote>\n<p>Theme: Mantra<br \/>\nActive plugins:<\/p>\n<ul>\n<li>404page \u2013 your smart custom 404 error page<\/li>\n<li>Akismet Anti-Spam<\/li>\n<li>Cookie Law Info<\/li>\n<li>Cryout Serious Theme Settings<\/li>\n<li>Disqus Comment System<\/li>\n<li>FD Footnotes<\/li>\n<li>Jetpack by WordPress.com<\/li>\n<li>List Categories<\/li>\n<li>Redirection<\/li>\n<li>Special Text Boxes<\/li>\n<li>Wordfence Security<\/li>\n<li>WP Edit<\/li>\n<li>WP Super Cache<\/li>\n<li>Yoast SEO<\/li>\n<\/ul>\n<p>All are the latest version.<\/p>\n<p>In addition to this, although Jetpack is connected to WordPress.com, if I try to access plugin management there I get data retrieval errors for users &amp; plugins and it is impossible to update site settings (not even site name or description) for both of the self-hosted sites I run or help run, even though the other site doesn&#8217;t generate any errors if I change Jetpack settings directly from the backend.<\/p>\n<p>You advised me to do this:<br \/>\nOpen the dashboard page.<br \/>\nOpen your browser console<br \/>\nClick on the Network tab<br \/>\nRefresh the page.<br \/>\nTry to change some of your Jetpack settings<br \/>\nIf you see any lines in red inside the browser console, click on them. A new panel should appear on the right.<\/p>\n<p>I followed your suggestion and got as far as clicking on the red line. Bingo!<\/p>\n<blockquote><p>Forbidden<br \/>\nYou don&#8217;t have permission to access \/wp-json\/jetpack\/v4\/settings on this server.<\/p><\/blockquote>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-9188845","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry","topic-tag-json","topic-tag-settings"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/9188845","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/9188845\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=9188845"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}