{"id":8099383,"date":"2016-05-17T07:27:29","date_gmt":"2016-05-17T07:27:29","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/good-plugin-but-contains-hidden-link\/"},"modified":"2016-09-03T05:26:03","modified_gmt":"2016-09-03T05:26:03","slug":"good-plugin-but-contains-hidden-link","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/good-plugin-but-contains-hidden-link\/","title":{"rendered":"Good plugin but contains hidden link (fixed)"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>The plugin itself is good and very easy to use. It offers all the options you need to display your facebook widget.<\/p>\n<p>However, today I discovered that the plugin includes a back link to the developers website, which is hidden from view using display:none styling. I&#8217;m fine with developers including an option to turn on\/off a back link, which is also stated as in the plugin development guidelines. But hiding these links from view without consent of the user is not only undesirable but I believe it also violates the plugin guidelines:<\/p>\n<blockquote>\n<p>The plugin must not embed external links on the public site (like a \u201cpowered by\u201d link) without explicitly asking the user\u2019s permission. Any such options in the plugin must default to NOT show the link.<br \/>\n<a href=\"https:\/\/developer.wordpress.org\/plugins\/wordpress-org\/detailed-plugin-guidelines\/\">source<\/a>\n<\/p>\n<\/blockquote>\n<p>Where the guidelines say, &#8220;default to NOT show the link&#8221;, I don&#8217;t think they mean that it is ok to hide it by using css.<\/p>\n<p>Also, such hidden links can inflict your SEO score, since Google and other search engines don&#8217;t like these.<\/p>\n<p>So, although the plugin is very good, only one star because of such very bad practice.<\/p>\n<p>UPDATE<br \/>\nThe author fixed the issue, so now the plugin is worth its five stars.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-8099383","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/8099383","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/8099383\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=8099383"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}