{"id":6980178,"date":"2016-01-23T21:31:23","date_gmt":"2016-01-23T21:31:23","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/adding-functionsphp-to-child-theme-2\/"},"modified":"2016-08-31T00:48:25","modified_gmt":"2016-08-31T00:48:25","slug":"adding-functionsphp-to-child-theme-2","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/adding-functionsphp-to-child-theme-2\/","title":{"rendered":"Adding functions.php to child theme"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>I&#8217;ve loaded the theme onto a fresh new install of WordPress. I then loaded my own child theme (style.css and functions.php, both with no theme modifications), and got the following error:<\/p>\n<blockquote>\n<p>Warning: Cannot modify header information &#8211; headers already sent by (output started at \/home2\/cheryl27\/public_html\/notsoalternateideas.com\/wp-content\/themes\/Mesocolumn Child Theme\/functions.php:6) in \/home2\/cheryl27\/public_html\/notsoalternateideas.com\/wp-includes\/pluggable.php on line 1228<\/p>\n<\/blockquote>\n<p>(Or something similar&#8230; the &#8220;on line xxx&#8221; might have been different, but everything else was the same.)<\/p>\n<p>So then I deleted my child theme (the error went away), and loaded the theme-provided child theme. With ONLY the theme-provided child theme, there were no errors.<\/p>\n<p>Then I created a &#8220;blank&#8221; functions.php, with only the following in it:<\/p>\n<blockquote>\n<p>&lt;?php<br \/>\n\/\/ Your php code goes here<br \/>\n?&gt;<\/p>\n<\/blockquote>\n<p>and the error returned (this is the current &#8220;on line xxx&#8221; error):<\/p>\n<blockquote>\n<p>Warning: Cannot modify header information &#8211; headers already sent by (output started at \/home2\/cheryl27\/public_html\/notsoalternateideas.com\/wp-content\/themes\/Mesocolumn Child Theme\/functions.php:6) in \/home2\/cheryl27\/public_html\/notsoalternateideas.com\/wp-includes\/pluggable.php on line 1228<\/p>\n<\/blockquote>\n<p>What&#8217;s going on? How can I include a functions.php in my child theme?<\/p>\n<p>Site Link: http:\/\/notsoalternateideas.com\/<\/p>\n<p>Thanks for the help! \ud83d\ude42<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-6980178","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry","topic-tag-child-theme","topic-tag-functions"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/6980178","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/6980178\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=6980178"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}