{"id":4601893,"date":"2014-02-11T18:38:42","date_gmt":"2014-02-11T18:38:42","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/confirming-proper-installation-on-a-vps\/"},"modified":"2016-08-21T16:12:35","modified_gmt":"2016-08-21T16:12:35","slug":"confirming-proper-installation-on-a-vps","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/confirming-proper-installation-on-a-vps\/","title":{"rendered":"confirming proper installation on a vps"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>hello,<\/p>\n<p>newbie here. however i have managed to (i think) install WP on my VPS. everything is command line so its a bit confusing for me to know how to verify contents and folder and file permissions are kind of a nightmare. i can access my site online and login to WP to make changes. I&#8217;m just using a basic theme for now. I have posted a couple text messages in the blog but have not been able to upload media (due to a permissions error). Is there a good way to browse my installation folders using the terminal command line so I can verify the install? Would I even be able to post text on my wordpress site if it was not installed properly on my VPS? I am concerned that I did not set up the proper directories and I&#8217;m not sure how to manipulate the installation without starting over. thanks in advance for any advice on where I&#8217;m at with this stuff and what I am totally missing. I have been following guides but the guides are less accurate for backtracking.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-4601893","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry","topic-tag-file-permissions","topic-tag-ubuntu-12-04","topic-tag-vps"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/4601893","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/4601893\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=4601893"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}