{"id":3979040,"date":"2013-07-31T19:14:31","date_gmt":"2013-07-31T19:14:31","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/permalinks-and-htaccess-problems\/"},"modified":"2016-08-21T03:28:47","modified_gmt":"2016-08-21T03:28:47","slug":"permalinks-and-htaccess-problems","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/permalinks-and-htaccess-problems\/","title":{"rendered":"Permalinks and .htaccess problems"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>First, I&#8217;m sorry if this has already been answered in another support post. I can&#8217;t find a solution to my particular problem.<\/p>\n<p>My WordPress install is located in the root <a href=\"http:\/\/wildgingercr.com\">http:\/\/wildgingercr.com<\/a>, as are the index.php file and the .htaccess file.<\/p>\n<p>I am trying to change the permalinks to the radio-button option of Post name (\/sample-post\/). I get the &#8220;You should update your .htaccess now.&#8221; message.<\/p>\n<p>WordPress did not create a .htaccess file, so I have created the .htaccess file as described in the Codex. <\/p>\n<p>I have changed permissions to 755. I (very briefly!!) changed the permissions to 777. Neither of these changed the &#8220;If your .htaccess file were writable, we could do this automatically&#8221; error message. I also tried the 666 setting that the Codex recommends (through the settings on my FTP client, cyberduck).<\/p>\n<p>My hosting client (freewebhostingarea.com, on the noads.biz section) advertises the following:<br \/>\nmod_rewrite enabled (apache 2.2); full dot files support (.htpasswd, .htaccess &#8211; posibility to set custom error pages, to block unwanted ips\/sites, to turn on\/off indexes etc. etc.);<\/p>\n<p>What am I missing?<\/p>\n<p>Thanks in advance!<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-3979040","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry","topic-tag-htaccess","topic-tag-permalink"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/3979040","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/3979040\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=3979040"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}