{"id":3406601,"date":"2013-01-27T15:09:52","date_gmt":"2013-01-27T15:09:52","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/silly-beginner-question\/"},"modified":"2016-08-20T21:00:18","modified_gmt":"2016-08-20T21:00:18","slug":"silly-beginner-question","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/silly-beginner-question\/","title":{"rendered":"Silly Beginner Question"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Hi.  I&#8217;ve just getting to grips with building my own wordpress sites and really enjoying wordpress, my test site is beginning to look just as I want it to.<\/p>\n<p>This is more of a hosting\/redirection question.<\/p>\n<p>I have built my test website on http:\/\/examplesubdomain.mytestdomainname.com<\/p>\n<p>My actuall website is currently http:\/\/www.thegreenwoodtreegallery.com\/<\/p>\n<p>My new lovely wordpress site is almost ready to go live but how do i point the domain address at my test site?  I don&#8217;t want to do just a simple 301 redirect of the domain, because then it just shows my http:\/\/examplesubdomain.mytestdomainname.com in the address bar.<\/p>\n<p>Do I need to actually rebuild (exporting all my wordpress files etc) onto my domain?  Or can I just point my preferred domain name at the location is has been built and keep the domain name in the address bar, along with the subfolders?<\/p>\n<p>Does that make sense?<\/p>\n<p>I set up and own all the domain accounts etc.<\/p>\n<p>How do professional web design companies manage to flick over a new site from &#8216;old site&#8217; to &#8216;new site&#8217; without needing to take down the domain name and rebuilding on the preferred domain name?<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-3406601","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/3406601","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/3406601\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=3406601"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}