{"id":3296410,"date":"2012-12-20T21:29:48","date_gmt":"2012-12-20T21:29:48","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/category-widget-problem-with-parent-slug-in-dropdown-mode\/"},"modified":"2016-08-20T19:22:12","modified_gmt":"2016-08-20T19:22:12","slug":"category-widget-problem-with-parent-slug-in-dropdown-mode","status":"closed","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/category-widget-problem-with-parent-slug-in-dropdown-mode\/","title":{"rendered":"Category Widget &#8211; Problem with Parent Slug in Dropdown mode"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>Fresh WP 3.5 clean installation (not upgrade) with no plug-ins ever installed, stock twenty twelve theme. This is an empty test site I just set up to troubleshoot a problem I am having with ALL WP installations on my server. Only setting change is enabling permalinks so I can use slugs.<\/p>\n<p>Here is the issue:<\/p>\n<p>When using the category widget in dropdown mode, if I select a category that has a subcategory, the URL of the linked page is the ID, \/?cat=xx, rather than the category slug. A bottom level child category or any category without a child, work just fine &#8211; I get the slug URL.<\/p>\n<p>If I remove a sub-cat from the parent cat, the parent cat slug works again. Soon as I set a parent cat for a category, I get the \/?cat=xx URL for that parent category again.<\/p>\n<p>The category widget works fine for ALL category types when in list mode. (No dropdown option selected in widget.)<\/p>\n<p>After spending a good deal of time trying to figure this out on my live sites (with plugins, custom themes, etc.) I set up this test site and am still getting this issue. Again, 100% plain, unmodified 3.5 installation on a fresh cpanel account. It&#8217;s not a conflict with a plugin or theme.<\/p>\n<p>I have only found a couple posts with similar problems and there are no real solutions mentioned, so I&#8217;m guessing this is NOT a known problem or issue. Since this is a 100% unmodified installation of WP, can I assume the problem is on my web host&#8217;s end?<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-3296410","topic","type-topic","status-closed","hentry"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/3296410","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/3296410\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=3296410"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}