{"id":19036264,"date":"2026-10-04T18:00:04","date_gmt":"2026-10-04T18:00:04","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/?post_type=topic&#038;p=19036264"},"modified":"2026-10-04T18:30:24","modified_gmt":"2026-10-04T18:30:24","slug":"manipulative-fear-mongering-plugin","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/manipulative-fear-mongering-plugin\/","title":{"rendered":"Manipulative, fear mongering, plugin"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">My level of coding and configuration knowledge is definitely low, so I can&#8217;t comment on the technical capabilities of this plugin. However, as a free user I do need to say that I find the way the plugin sends warnings about unaddressed vulnerabilities to be manipulative. You get these alarmist notes from Shield Security about what isn&#8217;t configured within Shield Security and urgently needs to be configured, but wonder of wonders all of these things Shield says you must must must do to avoid calamity can&#8217;t be done unless you pay for the &#8220;pro&#8221; version of the plugin. Shield&#8217;s scare tactics are deplorable and a form of emotional blackmail they should rise above.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">If you&#8217;re going to offer a free version of your plugin, you should really think through how that free version can communicate the ethics and trustworthiness of your company.  If you don&#8217;t do that, as is apparently the case here, you should do us all a favor and not offer a free version at all.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-19036264","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/19036264","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":2,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/19036264\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":19036274,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/19036264\/revisions\/19036274"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=19036264"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}