{"id":18874401,"date":"2026-04-07T21:06:53","date_gmt":"2026-04-07T21:06:53","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/missing-files-in-backup-2\/"},"modified":"2026-04-07T21:06:53","modified_gmt":"2026-04-07T21:06:53","slug":"missing-files-in-backup-2","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/missing-files-in-backup-2\/","title":{"rendered":"Missing files in backup"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">I&#8217;ve been using version 5.6 for a while now. I have a slow-moving site that I backup to the site&#8217;s server. I then have an automated procedure that downloads the backup file and stores it offline. My process includes two integrity checks:<\/p>\n\n\n\n<ol>\n<li>The downloaded backup file must be a valid zip archive<\/li>\n\n\n\n<li>Its size must be greater than a value I provide.<\/li>\n<\/ol>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Last night&#8217;s backup passed the zip check but failed the size check.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">I have backup logs going back to 20th March and they all show the backup zip to be 61.4 Mb &#8211; that&#8217;s the same size as my saved copies. Last night&#8217;s backup was recorded in the BackWPUp log as 48.99Mb but the saved copy was just 12.4Mb!<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The log of the most recent successful backup shows:<\/p>\n\n\n\n<pre class=\"wp-block-code\"><code>&#091;INFO] BackWPup 5.6.7; A project of WP Media<br \/>&#091;INFO] WordPress 6.9.4 on https:\/\/haylingcycleride.org.uk\/<br \/>&#091;INFO] Log Level: Debug (translated)<br \/>&#091;INFO] BackWPup job: Files &amp; Database; FILE+DBDUMP+WPPLUGIN<br \/>&#091;INFO] Runs with user: (0)<br \/>&#091;INFO] BackWPup job start with link is active<br \/>&#091;INFO] BackWPup job started from external URL<br \/>&#091;INFO] PHP ver.: 8.3.30 (64bit); cgi-fcgi; Linux<br \/>&#091;INFO] Maximum PHP script execution time is 30 seconds<br \/>&#091;INFO] Script restart time is configured to 45 seconds<br \/>&#091;INFO] MySQL ver.: 5.7.42<br \/>&#091;INFO] Web Server: Apache<br \/>&#091;INFO] cURL ver.: 7.74.0; OpenSSL\/1.1.1w<br \/><em>Folder list appears here<\/em><br \/>&#091;06-Apr-2026 02:07:19] Backup archive created.<br \/>&#091;06-Apr-2026 02:07:19] Archive size is 61.48 MB.<br \/>&#091;06-Apr-2026 02:07:19] 2853 Files with 109.24 MB in Archive.<br \/>&#091;06-Apr-2026 02:07:19] Restart after 15 seconds.<br \/>&#091;06-Apr-2026 02:07:20] 1 old log deleted<br \/>&#091;06-Apr-2026 02:07:20] Job done in 327 seconds.<\/code><\/pre>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The log of the problem backup shows:<\/p>\n\n\n\n<pre class=\"wp-block-code\"><code>&#091;INFO] BackWPup 5.6.7; A project of WP Media<br \/>&#091;INFO] WordPress 6.9.4 on https:\/\/haylingcycleride.org.uk\/<br \/>&#091;INFO] Log Level: Debug (translated)<br \/>&#091;INFO] BackWPup job: Files &amp; Database; FILE+DBDUMP+WPPLUGIN<br \/>&#091;INFO] Runs with user: (0)<br \/>&#091;INFO] BackWPup job start with link is active<br \/>&#091;INFO] BackWPup job started from external URL<br \/>&#091;INFO] PHP ver.: 8.3.30 (64bit); cgi-fcgi; Linux<br \/>&#091;INFO] Maximum PHP script execution time is 30 seconds<br \/>&#091;INFO] Script restart time is configured to 45 seconds<br \/>&#091;INFO] MySQL ver.: 5.7.42<br \/>&#091;INFO] Web Server: Apache<br \/>&#091;INFO] cURL ver.: 7.74.0; OpenSSL\/1.1.1w<br \/><em>Folder list appears here<\/em><br \/>&#091;07-Apr-2026 03:18:48] Backup archive created.<br \/>&#091;07-Apr-2026 03:18:48] Archive size is 48.99 MB.<br \/>&#091;07-Apr-2026 03:18:49] 2853 Files with 109.24 MB in Archive.<br \/>&#091;07-Apr-2026 03:18:49] Restart after 14 seconds.<br \/>&#091;07-Apr-2026 03:29:04] 1 old log deleted<br \/>&#091;07-Apr-2026 03:29:04] Job done in 5231 seconds.<\/code><\/pre>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Note Both backups show the same number of files with the same file size, but the zipped file sizes are different. The only clue I can see is that the run time for recent backups has consistently been around 320-330 seconds, but the problem backup appeared to take 5231 seconds. Both logs show restarts after 43\/44 seconds in virtually the same places, but there&#8217;s big time jumps between some of the restarts in the log of the problem backup including the final restart as shown above.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The site&#8217;s error log is empty. In the UK we activated daylight saving on Sunday 5th, going from GMT to GMT+1 but we&#8217;ve had two successful backups since then.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">It looks like BackWPUp saved the database and plugins to the zip but then failed to write the files section without throwing an error. But that doesn&#8217;t explain why BackWPUp thought the zip size was 48.99 Mb &#8211; that&#8217;s neither the expected size (61.5Mb) nor the actual size (12.4Mb).<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">I&#8217;ve since re-run the backup using the normal procedure and it went as expected.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">I hope that&#8217;s of use,<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Andy<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-18874401","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/18874401","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":0,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/18874401\/revisions"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=18874401"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}