{"id":18840352,"date":"2026-03-04T08:19:02","date_gmt":"2026-03-04T08:19:02","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/?post_type=topic&#038;p=18840352"},"modified":"2026-03-04T08:28:46","modified_gmt":"2026-03-04T08:28:46","slug":"http-error-401-problem-solved","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/http-error-401-problem-solved\/","title":{"rendered":"HTTP Error 401 &#8211; Problem solved"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><strong>Dear PlugIn Developer,<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><strong>dear @valwa<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">At this point, the ominous HTTP error 401 has already been discussed.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">With this note, I would like to contribute to the fact that other users receive a (special) solution on how to fix this error in individual cases, if all other known solutions fail.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">This solution refers to the scenario in the case of the use of the &#8220;Members&#8221; plug-in and a setting contained therein that demonstrably causes this error reproducibly.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">To avoid HTTP error 401, I recommend disabling the following setting in the &#8220;Members&#8221; plugin as follows:<\/p>\n\n\n\n<ul>\n<li>Navigate to the plugin&#8217;s settings.<\/li>\n\n\n\n<li>Navigate to the &#8220;Private Website&#8221; heading.<\/li>\n\n\n\n<li>Navigate to the REST API checkbox and disable the command &#8220;Force authentication for access to the REST API&#8221;.<\/li>\n<\/ul>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In addition, you can also disable the command &#8220;Block protected posts from showing in the REST API&#8221; under the heading &#8220;Content permissions&#8221;.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">After a lot of research and all kinds of attempts, I just came across this solution by chance and for me it has finally solved the problem.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">So the developer is NO longer required to remedy the situation and I would like to thank him very much for his efforts to provide us with a really great plug-in and to continue developing it for us with the same euphoria.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-18840352","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/18840352","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/18840352\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":18840366,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/18840352\/revisions\/18840366"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=18840352"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}