{"id":12147408,"date":"2019-11-18T18:05:50","date_gmt":"2019-11-18T18:05:50","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/styling-blocks\/"},"modified":"2019-11-19T03:59:49","modified_gmt":"2019-11-19T03:59:49","slug":"styling-blocks","status":"publish","type":"topic","link":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/topic\/styling-blocks\/","title":{"rendered":"Styling blocks"},"content":{"rendered":"<p>I&#8217;m trying to build a page in Gutenberg (5.2.4, not 5.3 yet), and I&#8217;m running into a rather frustrating issue. In my page mockup, I have a header, footer and 3 separate sections for the body. The problem is that my 3 sections all have different background colors, but if I try to add classes to my blocks so I can target them to add background, that color does not extend to the edges. There appears to be a stack of wrappers around each block that cannot be classed or modified through the editor. How am I supposed to target these &#8220;wrappers&#8221; on a per block basis to apply background colors only to specific sections?<\/p>\n<p>Here are some images to hopefully illustrate:<br \/>\nWhat I want: https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ea7ghFR.png<br \/>\nWhat I get: https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/BJeiKbk.png<\/p>\n<p>I want to do this in a way that does not involve plugins. I shouldn&#8217;t need a plugin to style some blocks. I&#8217;m curious though, when I assign a custom class to a block through the Gutenberg editor, why that class isn&#8217;t applied to the outermost WRAPPER?<\/p>\n<p>Thanks for any help.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"template":"","class_list":["post-12147408","topic","type-topic","status-publish","hentry","topic-tag-background","topic-tag-color","topic-tag-wrapper"],"jetpack_sharing_enabled":true,"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/12147408","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/topic"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/12147408\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":12148751,"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/topic\/12147408\/revisions\/12148751"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/wordpress.org\/support\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=12147408"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}