Google drive for WordPress plugin used to backup WordPress files and DB with Google Drive.
It manages to create full site backups and store them on Google Drive. For this I give it two stars.
It has real problems with error handling and doesn't like large media files in the uploads folder. It doesn't handle incremental backups afaik.
I can't see how to stop it also saving a copy backup to the local folder. This is not always desirable due to storage limitations on the server.
I have upgraded this to three stars now I have got used to it a bit more and it can handle uploads folder and limits local backups to three or less. Still needs more options and better error handling. Still times out on On time backups if I include the uploads folder.
I tried BackWPup, WP Backup to Dropbox, WPMUDEV Snapshots and PressBackup before trying this backup on my site hosted on ZippyKid. ZippyKid says they do daily backups, but you cannot access them directly, you have to submit a help ticket. I wanted something that I could access on my own. BackWPup looked like it would be a great option with wide support for multiple destinations, but I could not get mail, S3 or Dropbox to work. The other plugins had similar issues.
Google Drive for WordPress worked the first time. It is fairly straight forward and does what it says it will do. It is a no frills plugin. It allows you to select which tables and files to backup. Google provides you with 5 GB or free space on Drive with a free Google Apps account and has a reputation for being reliable. With the Desktop Drive application you can have local copies of your WordPress files as well.
I gave it 3 stars because there is room for improvement:
1. While I was able to configure Google API the first time, more detailed documentation would be helpful for the person who had never used the Google API interface.
2. The interface should adhere to the WordPress standards more closely. Instead of menus, a tabbed interface would be more suitable. The menu entry should be under Settings or Tools instead of being a top level menu under Posts.
3. A progress/status indicator would be nice during backups.
4. As well as a log table that listed previous backups
5. The ability to have different backup profiles is needed. For example, I might want daily database backups, but only weekly backups for all files.
6.A limit to the number of backups stored in Google Drive so that once t was reached, the oldest backups would be automatically deleted to free up space.
You must log in to submit a review. You can also log in or register using the form near the top of this page.