Everything was going good. I was really impressed with this plugin.
Until I tested it some more.
When you search for ANYTHING with the word "download" contained in the search phrase it loads the wordpress download manager login form in the header of my site.
I dont have password or captcha all downloads are free on my site so I dont understand why it just started doing that. It does not do it for anything else unless the search phrase has "download" contained in the field.
the free version works but if you need a commerce premium add-on, I don't recommend.
It did not work for me and no one is returning my emails requesting a refund.
I am not exaggerating when I say this plugin has given me THE WORST experience. I would HIGHLY advise anyone reading this to avoid this plugin (look at all of the negative reviews. No amount of 5-star reviews can justify the amount of 1-star reviews). Here are a few reasons why you need to avoid this plugin:
1. The support is disgustingly terrible. Yes, the support is nearly non-existent, and when you do get some support, it's always rude or short responses that vaguely answer the question you asked.
2. The moment I installed the plugin, my entire side turned upside-down inside-out. Literally, this plugins code severely conflicted with my themes plugin (was using Theme X). I have never had a plugin conflict with a themes plugin so much - I had to immediately uninstall it. I then went to the "support" forums and posted my question/concern. It took 5 days for Shaon to respond, and the only reason he responded was because I was asking for a refund. That brings me to my next point...
3. They don't give refunds. Here's what it says in their Terms and Conditions about refunds: "As we are offering non-tangible digital goods, we do not generally issue refunds after the purchase has been made. We will be happy to consider a refund within the first 30 days of your purchase if you are unable to get the plugin to install properly on your website or if the plugin fails to perform the basic functions as designed and you have worked with the product support team to try to resolve these issues. Refunds will be granted at the sole discretion of W3 Eden. No refunds will be given after 30 days from the initial purchase. Please note that by purchasing the plugin, you agree to the terms of the Refund Policy." It says "refunds will be granted at the sole discretion of W3 Eden" this means you are likely not getting a refund even if you meet the Terms and Conditions criteria.
4. Need more support? Check out their documentation... which is also nearly non-existent. Don't believe me? Check out the other 1-star reviews where users complain about their 5 article documentation (for the record, most great plugins have 100s of articles).
5. The coding in this plugin is SLOPPY. And I believe this is partially the reason so many things on my website got messed up when I installed this plugin. Are you an experienced coder and willing to dive into the code files? Good luck. There is no structure whatsoever in their files. I can't imagine they have any coding standards like most good companies do that create plugins.
If I shouldn't use WordPress Download Manager, what should I use? I'm glad you asked. There are several great plugins that ACTUALLY work well and give great support. To name a few; Simple File Downloader, WP Filebase, Easy Digital Downloads, Ultimate Membership Pro (has a built in file restriction feature and download manager), File Manager Pro... there are dozens of other options. Just avoid this one.
I have already emailed their support (which is probably just Shaon and maybe one other faceless person) 5 times requesting a refund. They have not responded to a single email. They prefer short-term profit over long term customer loyalty... and any good business person knows this is not a good way to do business. They are lairs, cheaters, and bad coders. Shaon will post a comment to this review trying to defend himself, and that's fine. If you choose to download this plugin, you will soon be writing a bad review like the rest of us and be out $90 (if you purchased any of the Pro plugins like I did). Never again will I do business with W3 Eden (the maker of this plugin) or recommend ANY of my many clients and readers to use them.
*Note: If I ever do get a refund, I will update the refund portion of this review. But I hardly expect that to happen.
I agree with several other reviewers: I have never taken time out of my day to leave a review on wordpress.org (I made this account only to do this), but I feel as well I have an ethical obligation to warn people to stay away from this plugin, and look for far better alternatives.
Well, I can only talk from my experience. I'm into online business for over 7 years, with a background in internet marketing. I was looking for this kind of software for one of my online shops, so I gave this plugin a test drive, and after several critical support requests, I was convinced to buy the full-pro package.
Here is my story.
1. During one of my pre-sales questions, I asked him if a specific feature was available. He answered it was there, so I bought the pro version.
Bad idea. When I installed the plugin, the feature I was inquiring about was not available! I realized the developer did not really care about reading my support request properly (and taking me as a customer seriously) because if he had, he would have realized instantly that the specific feature I was inquiring about, was not available.
2. Later on, when I tried to get my refund, I wanted to refer to his initial (wrong) answer, I could not find it anymore on the forum: he simply deleted it! Can you imagine? I have confronted him and he answered something like "I never delete comments on the forum". I asked him to show my initial question and his incomplete reply. I never got an answer.
In the beginning, when I logged into the customer area, I could find an overview of all my messages. But after several weeks, when I was filing my complaint to Paypal, I saw he disabled the function for customers to see an overview of their support requests. Can you imagine a professional support system doing this?
3. When I asked for my refund, he only answered something like: "We will URGENTLY add this feature for you". But I did not ask him to add any feature! During the pre-sales process, I was simply asking for information. He misguided me, I bought the plugin and realized this was a bad idea.
Since my webshop was going to launch in a couple of days, I quickly looked for an alternative, un-installed his plugins, deleted the activation code from my website, and requested a refund. I even explained to him that I had un-installed his software (which he probably could verify by looking at the serial-activation code). I wrote him I already found another solution, and I told him my shop was launching in a couple of days.
But he did not care. He simply answered: "we shall add this feature URGENTLY for you"... while I explained that I never asked him to add anything... so tiring to discuss with this guy. This is no professional customer support; this is forcing unsatisfied customers to stay your customer.
4. I agree with many other reviewers: the documentation is far from complete. If it were, I would have known that the feature I was looking for was not available in the first place.
5. When I pay a professional price for a professional plugin with professional support, I deserve professional support and nothing less. He wrote me: “Usually we reply within the same day”. Really? I sent him my refund request and 6 days later he gave his first answer. And he always took, at least, 3 days time to reply to my support requests I posted on the forum. When I am running an online shop, I need customer support I can count on.
6. I did file a complaint with Paypal, and strangely enough, Paypal did not refund me. This is beyond my comprehension too, especially when you read all these 1-star reviews... there is definitively something wrong there, and also with Paypal's refund policy. This is my first big disappointment in Paypal, because if you look at the facts... that he deletes support requests from his customers while claiming he does not... that he (unwillingly) misguides customers during pre-sales,... well, I have no words for this.
I fail to understand why any self-respecting online business would not refund a customer who is sincerely not satisfied with your product & support service? This is the first time this happens in the +/- 10 years that I shop with Paypal.
Maybe Shaon has meanwhile outsourced his support forum to an experienced & trained support staff, which I would highly recommend him, so that he can focus himself on the software, instead of trying to do everything himself.
Maybe his services and his plugin have gone through major improvements; I do not know. But it is possible; I believe in miracles.
But what I know, is my experience. Warned is forearmed!
Whilst the 'free' version of the plugin seemed to work OK, after spending the dosh to go 'Pro' I have encountered nothing but errors. Support is very limited and in can take days to get a response, if you get one at all!
I liked this plug in for it's simplicity and ease of use, but it introduced a major security breach in my client's website, allowing outside parties redirect the document downloads to other websites (in my case, Japanese porn). I won't be using it again.
Hi, Can i increase file size limit from Max: 32.00 MB ?
Please reply me how
Otherwise awesome plugin will soon i edit my review
The plugin caused a number of crashes on the site. Bootstrap not working fine, Google Drive problem and a also a problem with my social network share buttons plugin (a pro plugin). After testing Download Manager one of the problem didn't disappear and the only solution was re-install WP and the theme (fortunately I had a recent back-up). :(
I bought the pro version and Google Drive causes 6 entries as attached file which I can not delete with the x-button.
I asked for a refund since it's not working for me, but the developer won't refund the money.
After the Pro upgrade, the plugin totally messed up the pages with available downloads. We had to uninstall and use another pro plugin.
I do not suggest this plugin: it turns difficult a simple operation like download.
You must log in to submit a review. You can also log in or register using the form near the top of this page.