This plugin was recommended by my host.
After issues with other backup plugins - like grinding the entire back-end down using up resources. Red lining the cPanel stats. No control over scheduling each site's b-u.
My MultiSite is heavy.
Because I have a large main site and a LOT of stuff, stuff going on, plugins, plugin dependent functions. But only 6 sites so far. I designate big plug-in dependent functions to separate sites.
-Main site:70 pages
-500 PDF docs to preview and download, via a plugin
-lots of plugins and their related stuff
-tons of unused plugins
It works fast, is complete-all elements of my sites in some form, easy to configure and contrary to other big plugins I can do one single network back-up plus schedule without paying.
It is exceptional:
-Having Dropbox, etc. a must have. Not just a download, or host option.
-The plugin list alone is huge for me.
(I would have to figure out which are activated, and where.)
-XML file is awesome, I will have the impossible to replicate stuff intact.
It can be sent to WP.com if all else fails. I have tried to export one from a failing site before.
-Database table thing, also awesome. Another less hassle, and something I do not want to do - user error damage potential.
I have not had to restore. I have great confidence that given the complete backup of all my network sites - I would find enough to salvage to help with a ground up rebuild.
Thank you for your work in developing and maintaining this important plugin.
Never had any trouble with the plugin. Easy to install and easy to use.
Very nice plugin.
- easy to use
- database backup and /or complete backup
- create several jobs
- works with dropbox
I have been using BackWPUp on my and client Multi-Site installations.
1) It backs up both the database and (optionally) the files in folders you specify. Occasionally backup the entire WordPress installation, monthly your media folders, weekly your database, adjust the times for your frequency of changes and how upset you'd be if you lost something.
2) BackWPup is one of the few backup plugins I looked at that Does alert you if there was a problem. All I get now are warnings if I forgot to exclude a symbolic link (BackWPup tells you it doesn't back up those folders, you should specify the actual folder not the link). In the past, BackWPup warnings were a big clue that led me to find the version of PHP on a server had a ZIP bug (crash without notice attempting to Zip/Unzip, also affected WordPress Updates). Has option to email you only if problem with a scheduled backup.
3) BackWPup does seem to correctly back up multiple terabytes. But Don't store backups within the folders that will be backed up; it will backup your backup files, doubling the file size (hey, you told it to). Guess how I found this... Plus, never store backups in web-accessible folders, for security.
4) BackWPup has options for storing result file in several services including DropBox and Amazon S3 (I haven't tested, will soon).
Do not ever leave SQL exports or backups where others could get them. Since most people create terrible passwords, hackers can get about 90% of passwords in MD5, what MySQL and WordPress use, in a day or less. MD5 is strong for unknown data, but people keep using the same simple ways of making passwords. See [ link redacted, please do not post links in reviews ] for how to protect yourself.
I've used the plugin for several of my websites and I recently had to restore a backup and it worked flawlessly! Thanks for a great plugin!
I use it to backup to DropBox and it works without a hitch. I have made a complete restore on my test server and it had everything I needed to do so. I see the backups on DropBox when they are meant to be created and I was alerted when there was an error (out of space) on DropBox.
I have not tried many backup solutions as I stopped as soon as I found this. I have been using it for about 5 months now and the backups keep coming, highly recommended!
It is the best plugin of its kind that I have found.
Thank you very much!
I tried different ones, this one seems to the best so far.
I find this plugin most friendly to tweak the site archive.
Thanks to the author.
You must log in to submit a review. You can also log in or register using the form near the top of this page.