Title: troutco's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# troutco

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Editing triggers popup asking for username and password – security breach?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/editing-triggers-popup-asking-for-username-and-password-security-breach/)
 *  [troutco](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/)
 * (@troutco)
 * [17 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/editing-triggers-popup-asking-for-username-and-password-security-breach/page/4/#post-1161045)
 * My host is godaddy.com
 * By the way — so far so good, (after doing the automatic reinstall of WP) but 
   I really should check my plug-ins to make sure they won’t cause a recurrence.
 * What’s the easiest way to examine the code of plug-ins and what should you be
   on the look-out for?
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Editing triggers popup asking for username and password – security breach?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/editing-triggers-popup-asking-for-username-and-password-security-breach/)
 *  [troutco](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/)
 * (@troutco)
 * [17 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/editing-triggers-popup-asking-for-username-and-password-security-breach/page/4/#post-1161025)
 * I’m a mac user… got it today. Macs don’t normally acquire viruses, but somehow
   my wordpress got infected anyway….
 * After much trial and error, I went to TOOLS, UPGRADE, and used the automatic 
   reinstall function to reinstall wordpress 2.8.2
 * When I reinstalled it, the problem went away. For now. (But I wonder if my plug-
   ins are corrupted and if this will return.
 * What’s the best way to fix the plug-ins if they are involved as well? (Are they
   separate from the main install?) Please advise.
 * I have only two plugins installed:
    Askimet Add to Any (which I just upgraded
   today as well AFTER this happened)
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Can’t Edit: Site Asking for Name and Password](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-edit-site-asking-for-name-and-password/)
 *  [troutco](https://wordpress.org/support/users/troutco/)
 * (@troutco)
 * [17 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-edit-site-asking-for-name-and-password/page/2/#post-1160211)
 * The same thing started happening to me today. I’m being asked to log-in when 
   I try to edit a post. (Even though I’m already logged in to the admin site).
 * I am already using 2.8.2 so I’m not sure what I need to do to clear up this problem.
 * I’m a bit of a newbie, so not sure how to replace root files, etc.
    Can anyone
   give me fairly detailed directions?
 * I get a popup saying “THis site is asking you to longin. Please provide your 
   username and password.” It lists my domain troutco.com:80 and oddly, a Realm:
   Magic.
 * No idea what the realm refers to…
 * Then it prompts for username and password. (password is transmitted unsecurely).
   Is this some kind of break-in behavior or an attempt to steal passwords?
 * HELP! I can no longer edit my block posts 🙁
    Appreciate any info anyone can 
   share.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)