Title: steve1950's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# steve1950

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Security Plugin, Firewall & Malware Scanner with Auto Removal] approving files in bulk](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/#post-14722643)
 * Hi, [@katereji](https://wordpress.org/support/users/katereji/).
 * I’ll try this solution, and will get back to you if it doesn’t work.
 * In the meantime, I got on chat with my hosting provider’s support folks, and 
   they determined that one of the updates (I can’t say for sure which) changed 
   the subdomain’s DNS settings so that they no longer posted at my web host’s servers.
   The support staff changed the settings back, and I can now access the subdomain
   site normally.
 * I’ll try reinstalling the malware scanner tomorrow, in the manner you’ve suggested.
   We’ll see what happens…
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Security Plugin, Firewall & Malware Scanner with Auto Removal] approving files in bulk](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/#post-14721952)
 * …and another follow-up.
 * After updating the plugin on my primary domain (only after I’d done other required
   updates on the site), I’ve now discovered that I can no longer access the website
   on my sub-domain. I can’t even get the login screen to come up, and my PC tells
   me that it can’t access the internet when I attempt to visit the site normally.
 * The primary domain seems to be working properly.
 * I’m not sure what’s happening, but this is starting to be more trouble than it’s
   worth…
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Security Plugin, Firewall & Malware Scanner with Auto Removal] approving files in bulk](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/#post-14721899)
 * Just a follow-up.
 * Shortly after installing the version from the GitHub repository, WordPress advised
   me that there was an additional update from that version. I installed the update.
 * The result: when I selected “Approve” and “Apply to All,” I got a Javascript 
   notice that this feature is not yet active or available.
 * There are now 59 pages of unknown files. Will wait to hear back from you about
   all this…
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Security Plugin, Firewall & Malware Scanner with Auto Removal] approving files in bulk](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/#post-14721883)
 * Hi, [@safronik](https://wordpress.org/support/users/safronik/).
 * I followed your instructions and installed the plugin from the GitHub repository.
   Unfortunately, nothing has changed: if I want to approve the files, I have to
   go through them page by page…55 pages of unknown files, and still no working 
   means of selecting all of them at once. The newly installed version of the plugin
   works just as it did before.
 * Not sure what to try next…
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Security Plugin, Firewall & Malware Scanner with Auto Removal] approving files in bulk](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/#post-14673108)
 * Hi, [@katereji](https://wordpress.org/support/users/katereji/), and thank you.
 * I’m relieved to know that I’m not crazy — well, at least not with respect to 
   the problem at hand.
 * I’ll look forward to hearing from you when the developers have had a chance to
   review the problem.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Security Plugin, Firewall & Malware Scanner with Auto Removal] approving files in bulk](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/approving-files-in-bulk/#post-14672714)
 * Hi, [@amagsumov](https://wordpress.org/support/users/amagsumov/).
 * Unfortunately, I get the same response when selecting “apply to all,” whether
   I’ve selected files for approval or left everything unselected. The system indicates“
   error – nothing to approve.” The only way I’m able to approve the questionable
   files is by the page, by selecting all the items showing on a page and then using“
   apply to selected.” It seems nuts to have to do 51 pages one at a time.
 * Not sure what’s going on, but the stated fix isn’t working for me. Other suggestions…?
 * Thank you.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Broken Link Checker] Chronic incorrect broken link warnings](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/chronic-incorrect-broken-link-warnings/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/chronic-incorrect-broken-link-warnings/#post-13881682)
 * Hello again, Patrick.
 * I reactivated Broken Link Checker and immediately received a warning that the
   site had 124 broken links — again, false positives based on a random sampling
   I did.
 * Most of the links are to Pixabay users’ work, and to pixabay.com generally — 
   clearly, valid links. Here’s a sample link that is not to Pixabay:
 * <[https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/exclusive-satellite-images-of-galwan-valley-clash-india-chinese-troops-in-ladakh-1689900-2020-06-17#:~:text=CHINESE%20TROOPS%20AT%20GALWAN%20VALLEY&text=Over%20200%20military%20vehicles%20and,ground%20in%20the%20Chinese%20side&gt](https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/exclusive-satellite-images-of-galwan-valley-clash-india-chinese-troops-in-ladakh-1689900-2020-06-17#:~:text=CHINESE%20TROOPS%20AT%20GALWAN%20VALLEY&text=Over%20200%20military%20vehicles%20and,ground%20in%20the%20Chinese%20side&gt);
 * I tested the link before copying it here, and it works normally. I’ll now deactivate
   the plugin again temporarily so that site visitors don’t see a myriad of links
   with lines through them.
 * I also have some screenshots for you, including one resembling the sample at 
   the link you provided to me. What I don’t see here is a means of attaching the
   screenshots for you…
 * If you send me either a link at which I can upload the screenshots or an email
   address to which I can send them as attachments, I’ll pass them along.
 * Thanks, Patrick. I’ll look forward to hearing from you about all this.
 * Kind regards,
 *  Steve
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Broken Link Checker] Chronic incorrect broken link warnings](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/chronic-incorrect-broken-link-warnings/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/chronic-incorrect-broken-link-warnings/#post-13880250)
 * Hey, Patrick.
 * Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond to you. Just before the New Year, I had
   a system drive crash resulting from destruction of the NTFS file system (courtesy
   of some really bad advice from an app maker who figured it would be safe to install
   an Android emulator on a BitLocker-protected drive).
 * It did not go well.
 * However, a new drive is now in place and I’m back up and running. With respect
   to the broken links issue, I haven’t received further broken link warnings since
   our last exchange, but I know they’ll be coming. That’s been the pattern: a period
   with no warnings, followed by one with repeated warnings (all false positives)
   over a number of days.
 * I did try an experiment. I installed another plugin that, among other things,
   identifies broken links. Right out of the box, it identified 112 broken links—
   again, all were false positives. So, whatever is going on relates to something
   I’ve obviously done incorrectly in configuring the site.
 * I’ll get back to you with screen shots the next time Broken Links Checker starts
   with the warnings again.
 * Thanks for your help.
 * Kind regards (and Happy New Year!),
 *  Steve
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Security Plugin, Firewall & Malware Scanner with Auto Removal] chronic false positives for safe plugin files](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/chronic-false-positives-for-safe-plugin-files/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [5 years, 11 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/chronic-false-positives-for-safe-plugin-files/#post-13584907)
 * Hi there, [@laurap4wp](https://wordpress.org/support/users/laurap4wp/).
 * I don’t know what WWYW will do if your site is in quarantine, and I’m not sure
   what they’ll do with the five sites that are down. However, the boss guy, Thomas,
   is easy to deal with you. I was actually referred to WWYW by the guys at iThemes
   for a problem their pro security plugin couldn’t handle. I added Security by 
   CleanTalk after that, and I’m still happily using it.
 * I had to create an ID for the WWYW guys to get into the site files. They cleaned
   it up, made sure everything worked, and then begin monitoring it non-stop to 
   make sure nothing else evil gets in there. Then I deleted their login access,
   per their instructions. So far so good.
 * To be clear, I don’t use WWYW as a replacement for CleanTalk (or iThemes, for
   that matter). I’m using it in addition to them.
 * Hope this info helps.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[MediaPress] Sorry, the upload functionality is disabled temporarily.](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/sorry-the-upload-functionality-is-disabled-temporarily/)
 *  [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [6 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/sorry-the-upload-functionality-is-disabled-temporarily/#post-13200649)
 * Hi there.
 * I’m having the same issue.
 * I see that the above post is over two weeks old, and I see no sign of a response
   to the problem. The status is “non-resolved.”
 * I’ve been checking various Youtube gallery plugins for a new WordPress site I’m
   building. I thought I’d found a winner with the MediaPress gallery, but given
   the absence of a response to this issue, I think I’ll have to keep looking — 
   this isn’t the sort of issue one can have just hanging around in the background.
 * Pity, as the plugin otherwise looks great. Thanks anyway…I’ll check back to see
   if this gets answered as I’m curious as to the nature of the problem.
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [specific special characters suddenly missing from menu](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/specific-special-characters-suddenly-missing-from-menu/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [7 years, 6 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/specific-special-characters-suddenly-missing-from-menu/#post-11357714)
 * Problem is SOLVED.
 * I recently switched browsers. I’d been using Google Chrome but decided for various
   reasons that it was time for a change.
 * I switched to the 64-bit version of FireFox 66.0.1. Significantly faster than
   Chrome on my system, with plenty of useful add-ons. Everything seemed to work
   well, but I was getting set for a bit of a holiday and hadn’t used it to work
   on my site.
 * It turns out that FireFox blocks certain types of content by default — like my
   affiliate links, most of which it seems to regard as evil, and their associated
   images. As soon as I turned off content-blocking completely on my site, everything
   returned to normal.
 * The devil is, as usual, in the details. Going to post a little note on my site
   to remind FireFox users that they may need to turn off content-blocking if they
   want to get the full-meal deal…
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [specific special characters suddenly missing from menu](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/specific-special-characters-suddenly-missing-from-menu/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [7 years, 6 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/specific-special-characters-suddenly-missing-from-menu/#post-11356575)
 * Okay, it’s getting weirder.
 * This morning, the missing special characters were back, and my custom bullets
   reappeared magically. All of them. In all my posts.
 * Great, I thought — I don’t know what’s going on, but the characters are back 
   so let’s not be picky about how and why they reappeared. Maybe everything is 
   back to normal…
 * Unfortunately, this proved to be wishful thinking on my part. I was setting up
   a new post and suddenly realized that my recurring affiliate links/banners in
   previous post had disappeared.
 * All of them.
 * So, I guess at this stage, I have only one question: what the hell is going on?
 * I recognize that this may or may not be a WordPress problem, so I’m going to 
   get into it with the folks over at StudioPress. I recently upgraded to the latest
   version of the Genesis Framework. I can’t imagine it being the root of the problem,
   but I’m going to check anyway.
 * Stranger things have happened…
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [specific special characters suddenly missing from menu](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/specific-special-characters-suddenly-missing-from-menu/)
 *  Thread Starter [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [7 years, 6 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/specific-special-characters-suddenly-missing-from-menu/#post-11353066)
 * Thanks for your note, [@mrtom414](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mrtom414/).
 * My site: [https://www.thedigitalquill.net](https://www.thedigitalquill.net)
 * Just vist the more recent blog posts and scroll through. You’ll see where the
   symbols for my home-made bullets used to be…
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Classic Editor] Classic Editor thinks post not updated after saving](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/classic-editor-thinks-post-not-updated-after-saving/)
 *  [steve1950](https://wordpress.org/support/users/steve1950/)
 * (@steve1950)
 * [7 years, 8 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/classic-editor-thinks-post-not-updated-after-saving/#post-11196983)
 * I get this too. If only that were all.
 * I’ve been having all kinds of problems with updates to posts not actually being
   reflected on the site. That includes everything from font-size changes to deletions
   and additions. Worse still, it’s inconsistent – almost random.
 * With my hosting provider helping, I’ve been able to find fixes or workarounds
   for most of the issues I’ve encountered. However, I’ve now run into a problem
   with there being inconsistent gutters (or no gutters at all) around left or right-
   aligned images. When I add media or update, the text is right up against the 
   left or right edge of the image, with no white space whatsoever.
 * My hosting provider has concluded it’s a coding problem with the classic editor.
   No way of knowing for sure if this is right, but I wouldn’t be surprised.
 * The fun just never ceases.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)