Title: spyderbytes's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# spyderbytes

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

 *   Forum: [Developing with WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/wp-advanced/)
   
   In reply to: [Learning to “think” WP_Query](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/learning-to-think-wp_query/)
 *  Thread Starter [spyderbytes](https://wordpress.org/support/users/spyderbytes/)
 * (@spyderbytes)
 * [8 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/learning-to-think-wp_query/#post-10474272)
 * Thanks for the reply, [@bcworkz](https://wordpress.org/support/users/bcworkz/)!
   I’m completely self-taught, so I guess I’m never really sure that the way I get
   things done is the most effecient way. Especially since I’ve seen articles all
   over the web warning to never, ever access the wp database through PHP. Add to
   that a desire to leverage as much of WP as I can to cut down on the work I have
   to do, and, as you say a desire to learn. I may be a geezer, but the day I stop
   learning is (as far as I’m concerned) the day to lie down and die. 🙂
 * I dug a bit deeper in the WP guts and ran across wpdb. I must say it’s more to
   my liking than trying to figure out how to cram complex queries into WP_Query.
   Especially since I can basically just drop wpdb into my method that actually 
   runs the query. Which allows me to drop all the connection handling code I had
   and leverages optimizations y’all have done that I’d never know to. 🙂
 * I use the codex often, and generally find it quite helpful. In some cases, though,
   I find it raises as many questions as it answers (at least to me). Particularly
   when trying to cover a complex class in one page. More example code and breaking
   it into more digestable chunks would help, at least for me.
 * Thanks again!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)