Title: pressnine's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# pressnine

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Cursor Jumps to end of page when editing](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/cursor-jumps-to-end-of-page-when-editing/)
 *  [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [2 years, 8 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/cursor-jumps-to-end-of-page-when-editing/#post-17395774)
 * While editing in block editor, using arrow keys to navigate, my cursor for the
   past 2-3 months seems to have been randomly jumping from line-to-line and block
   to block, shifting (scrolling) the page as it does, so I find myself looking 
   for the line I was editing. Why? (Using Safari on a MacBook, but same with Firefox).
   It didn’t use to do this.
 * I know the page can be held still by switching to Distraction Free mode but then
   one loses the Toolbar and Settings panel, meaning more clicks and manoevring 
   to do a task that was previously well-integrated. Most peculiar design decisions…
 * I would post a new question but can find nowhere to do so, just seem to go in
   circles using the links on the support pages, which anyway took ages to find 
   on wordpress.org. Can someone tell me how to post on the forum? I am logged in.
 * WordPress seems to have become more obtuse and to have made editing harder with
   every update since I started using it in 2019. Many more clicks nows needed for
   tasks that used to be simple. I appreciate it’s free, but still…
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Preview dropdown in wpadmin](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/preview-dropdown-in-wpadmin/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 8 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/preview-dropdown-in-wpadmin/#post-13942618)
 * Also, amidst the welter of new regressions, remember how the Preview tab used
   to automatically reload to reflect any saved change to the article being edited?
   No longer does it (at least in Safari). Yet another click is needed to get the
   job done.
 * What has happened to WP? I mustn’t grumble because it’s free, but all the same,
   doesn’t pride in work drive anyone to address these weird reversals? It all reminds
   me of Trump and Brexit, where time erases memory and truth.
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Preview dropdown in wpadmin](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/preview-dropdown-in-wpadmin/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 8 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/preview-dropdown-in-wpadmin/#post-13942544)
 * Living with the redundant extra-click Preview dropdown, but still wondering why
   Preview so often doesn’t load? I just had to click Preview 3 times to get a load.
   That’s using Safari in Big Sur, latest Mac OS. This didn’t used to happen with
   any old Mac OS a year or so ago. Such an impediment to productivity.
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Format multiple paragraphs in Gutenberg](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/format-multiple-paragraphs-in-gutenberg/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/format-multiple-paragraphs-in-gutenberg/#post-13896650)
 * Many thanks for replying – Gutenberg is certainly presenting many challenges 
   to professional editors. WP used to work well but it seems some designer without
   much literary sense has got hold of the project. I appreciate all WP efforts 
   but it is a great shame it seems nobody who knows how editors work had oversight
   of recent changes. Editors of course daily face such challenges in a generally
   illiterate world.
 * Kind regards
    Mark Gilbert
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Single escape quote inverts after double quote](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/single-escape-quote-inverts-after-double-quote/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/single-escape-quote-inverts-after-double-quote/#post-13880961)
 * I should add I am using smart quotes.
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Autosave broken in 5.6?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/autosave-broken-in-5-6/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/autosave-broken-in-5-6/#post-13858188)
 * Hello – thanks for picking up. Well, bizarrely, now the warning message isn’t
   appearing! Maybe some glitch or bad feature of Safari.
 * However, this is what was happening:
 * 1) While editing or creating a post I saw the autosave activate in the top right
   of the admin window, where it normally says “Save Draft”.
 * 2) I thought great, it’s saved. So I hit “Posts” to leave the wp-admin/post page.
 * 3) On doing so, I got the message “Are you sure you want to leave this page?”
 * 4) If chose to leave the page, the changes weren’t saved.
 * I’ll keep an eye out – I don’t trust it to always work and will continue as always
   to hit manual save every time I make a change.
 * Intrigued to know if anyone else is getting the non-loading hang say 50% of the
   time when hitting Preview.
 * Thanks again,
    MG
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Autosave broken in 5.6?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/autosave-broken-in-5-6/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/autosave-broken-in-5-6/#post-13856600)
 * I’m using Safari 14.0.2, so the message that pops up is “Are you sure you want
   to leave this page?” with two buttons below reading “Stay on Page” and “Leave
   Page”. These buttons normally appear in Safari if you’ve not finished filling
   a form and try to leave a page, for example.
 * If I hit “Save Draft” in wpadmin, there’s no problem – the warning dialogue above
   doesn’t appear, the word “Saving” appears and when I close the post and reopen
   it, the saved version appears with the latest changes intact.
 * It seems I can only save manually. Auto-save doesn’t save anything. When I started
   using WP about two years ago everything seemed to work fine.
 * Now, as well as auto-save not working, Preview opens another tab but often hangs
   on “Generating preview” and never loads.
 * In addition, in my case the more complicated Preview dropdown creates more work,
   impedes productivity; likewise the author dropdown, recently redesigned.
 * I realise WP is free and appreciate its utility but I’m mystified by some recent“
   improvements” and wonder if anyone considered their practical implications.
 * I’ve got a few “not resolved” topics open in this forum, and while some kindly
   responded very quickly, responses seem to have dried up quickly. Maybe I’ve exhausted
   my allocation of help. But then, yes, it’s free, so can’t complain, I suppose,
   and fair enough.
 * I wonder if WP has developed a problem with Safari? Maybe Firefox or Chrome wouldn’t
   show the problems I describe above?
 * Thanks
    Mark Gilbert
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Blue border around paragraph, cannot edit](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/blue-border-around-paragraph-cannot-edit/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/blue-border-around-paragraph-cannot-edit/#post-13812218)
 * Anybody got any solution to this and other Qs I asked or have I had my allotted
   help for a while?
 * Thanks
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Author dropdown WP 5.6 more difficult to use](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/author-dropdown-wp-5-6-more-difficult-to-use/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/author-dropdown-wp-5-6-more-difficult-to-use/#post-13799422)
 * The option to scroll through author names is a slight redeeming feature of this
   mess-up, but bad luck if you click in the box to change author name (having entered
   incorrect name, say) and the name appear in a blue block. You have then to type
   the name (more keystrokes). It doesn’t always appear in a blue block, by the 
   way, which suggests a bug.
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Blue border around paragraph, cannot edit](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/blue-border-around-paragraph-cannot-edit/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/blue-border-around-paragraph-cannot-edit/#post-13791965)
 * Right now, I’m trying to copy 4 paras to send to a writer for approval. But the
   only way seems to be to copy first para as text from inside the para, paste it
   into an email, go back to wp-admin for para 2, etc etc… Incredibly laborious 
   and time-consuming. I’m not sure WP designers are thinking about productivity.
   Unless I’m missing something or WP doesn’t like Safari or something. I haven’t
   tried it in Firefox, for example.
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Blue border around paragraph, cannot edit](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/blue-border-around-paragraph-cannot-edit/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/blue-border-around-paragraph-cannot-edit/#post-13791930)
 * Further to this, how to highlight and copy text across para blocks in WP (say
   for external editing to send to a write for approval/edit. If I left-click mouse
   and highlight text in one para and part of the following para I cannot copy it.
   The two paras simply acquire a blue outline in their entirety and are uncopiable(
   not that I want in this case to copy whole of two paras, only parts).
 * WP doesn’t seem to work so well as an editing tool for publishers as before, 
   if you know what I mean. Unless all this can turned off. Don’t particularly want
   to go back to the old tech of classic edit but the new tech seems to not be particularly
   set up for word/text editors.
 * Thanks
    MG
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Preview dropdown in wpadmin](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/preview-dropdown-in-wpadmin/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/preview-dropdown-in-wpadmin/#post-13791452)
 * I might add on the Preview topic that often, after hitting “Preview in new tab”
   a new tab will open but then hang. The preview never opens. Invariably, second
   attempt (closing hanging tab, return to wp-admin, call for Preview again it works.
   A further obstacle to productivity which only appeared when the Preview dropdown
   appeared a few months ago. I had lived with this for a while but might as well
   mention it now. It happened on my old Mac, using High Sierra so I blamed the 
   old OS. But now, with newer Mac and latest OS, Big Sur, the problem persists.
 * Could this be a theme problem, incompatibility with recent WP updates?
 * Thanks
    MG
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Preview dropdown in wpadmin](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/preview-dropdown-in-wpadmin/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/preview-dropdown-in-wpadmin/#post-13789203)
 * Many thanks for rapid reply. I understand that motive, but for those who only
   need rapid desktop preview it would be good to have the old option.
 * I don’t really understand the tablet and mobile options. If I click either and
   then ‘Preview in new tab’ I only get desktop preview of page in site – same as
   I do if I choose desktop. I don’t get, for example, a tablet or mobile size preview
   in my browser (Safari).
 * When I click tablet or mobile (without going on to select Preview in new tab,
   the text edit area reduces to imitate tablet or mobile proportions and that’s
   where I see clipped title. These smaller edit views seem pointless anyway, since
   they don’t represent the actual site.
 * Am I missing something here or seeing a fault, I wonder? Or could it relate to
   my theme, Newspaper?
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Author dropdown WP 5.6 more difficult to use](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/author-dropdown-wp-5-6-more-difficult-to-use/)
 *  Thread Starter [pressnine](https://wordpress.org/support/users/pressnine/)
 * (@pressnine)
 * [5 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/author-dropdown-wp-5-6-more-difficult-to-use/#post-13789167)
 * Much appreciate your early reply. I found it’s not too bad if you click and then
   move through names with keyboard arrow keys, but still not as effective as previous
   incarnation. Seems less responsive, and buggy too, wasting precious moments for
   busy publications. Thanks

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)