Title: monkeyfight's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# monkeyfight

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Know what I want, but what theme should I start off with?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/know-what-i-want-but-what-theme-should-i-start-off-with/)
 *  [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [17 years, 8 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/know-what-i-want-but-what-theme-should-i-start-off-with/#post-971720)
 * I was looking for really simple themes a while ago and found a few on this site–
   [http://www.easternwest.com/](http://www.easternwest.com/)
 * There’s plenty easternwest have made that are really nice, but these two are 
   the closest to what you’re looking for…
 * [http://www.easternwest.com/humble-dark-wordpress-theme/](http://www.easternwest.com/humble-dark-wordpress-theme/)
   
   [http://www.easternwest.com/humble-a-very-simple-wordpress-theme/](http://www.easternwest.com/humble-a-very-simple-wordpress-theme/)
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [custom fields acting strange](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/custom-fields-acting-strange/)
 *  [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [17 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/custom-fields-acting-strange/#post-886794)
 * I was having exactly the same problem too, but your final method fixed it just
   fine. Thanks!
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[SVN repository] How Do I Upload?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/svn-repository-how-do-i-upload/)
 *  [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [17 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/svn-repository-how-do-i-upload/#post-775897)
 * True [http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/svn/](http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/svn/)
   tells you how to do it, but it doesn’t tell you _what_ to do it _with_. I use
   PhotoShop and notepad and dreamweaver each and every day and typing command line
   code into any of them isn’t going to get me very far.
 * I knew nothing about SVN and command line code scares the shit out of me. I definitely
   wasn’t sure what app I’d have to write all that command line stuff into. Would
   it just be the Windows Command Prompt box? Who knows – I never found out.
 * I figured for every app reliant on command line input, there’s a free GUI that
   makes it easy for code-ignorant folk like me to get it to work, so after a bit
   of a google I found [RapidSVN – ](http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/)[http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/](http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/),
   which I worked out how to use in a fraction of the time it would have taken to
   type half of those command lines, and I soon had my plugin uploaded.
 * The basics of **RapidSVN**, to get you going are…
    - install it
    - right click on ‘Bookmarks’
    - click ‘Add Existing Repository’
    - paste in the URL sent to you by WordPress for your plugins SVN location
    - The above step will have added a new Bookmark
    - Right click on the new bookmark and choose ‘Checkout New Working Copy’. Another
      new bookmark will be added, for the local version
    - Once it’s checked out to wherever you choose locally just add your files to
      it, edit them, whatever’s needed
    - Once you’re done adding/editing stuff to your local version, right click that
      version (not the live svn one) in your bookmarks and choose ‘Commit’
    - You’re done, you files are now in WordPress’s SVN repository
 * Hope that helps someone!
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Plugin: WP-SpamFree] Wp_Spamfree blocing legitimate comments](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-wp-spamfree-wp_spamfree-blocing-legitimate-comments/)
 *  [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [17 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-wp-spamfree-wp_spamfree-blocing-legitimate-comments/page/2/#post-891641)
 * This plug-in unfortunately blocked all comments, including my own, from my blog.
   IT in fact broke the whole comment functionality. It’s a shame as it’s a great
   idea and I’ll keep checking it if it’s upgraded to see if ti works because it
   definitely blocks spammers – it just blocks everyone else too. Try it though,
   it might work for you.
 *   Forum: [Your WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/your-wordpress/)
   
   In reply to: [Hello Tomorrow™ – a freelance graphic design portfolio/blog](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hello-tomorrow-a-freelance-graphic-design-portfolioblog/)
 *  Thread Starter [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [17 years, 11 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hello-tomorrow-a-freelance-graphic-design-portfolioblog/#post-849232)
 * Cheers everyone 🙂
 * @ mikka – that theme I _was_ using as my portfolio I called TMRW v2, and was 
   a customised hack based on a really nice simple theme called [Yelloh](http://www.easternwest.com/yelloh-a-simple-white-and-yellow-wordpress-theme/)
   that I’d found. You can see how how my site used to look when I originally created
   this post [here](http://www.tmrw.co.uk/?preview_theme=TMRW%20v2).
 * Since then though I’ve created my own completely custom theme ([TMRW v3](http://www.tmrw.co.uk/))
   which was always my intention anyway. It’s just a little nicer (hopefully) and
   easier to see what the site’s about from an initial glance.
 * Chances are I’ll change it again soon anyway – getting your own website right
   is one of the more difficult things for a designer to do 🙂
 *   Forum: [Themes and Templates](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/themes-and-templates/)
   
   In reply to: [Get posts based on page title?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/get-posts-based-on-page-title/)
 *  [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [18 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/get-posts-based-on-page-title/#post-803849)
 * upekshapriya, you couldn’t have posted that at a better time – it works perfectly
   🙂
 *     ```
       <?php
       global $more;
       $more = 0;
   
       $page_cat = $post->post_title; //copy the page title
       $page_cat = strtolower($page_cat); // make it lower case only
       $my_query = new WP_Query('category_name='.$page_cat);
   
       $paged = (get_query_var('paged')) ? get_query_var('paged') : 1;
       query_posts('category_name='.$page_cat.'&showposts=5&paged='.$paged);
       ?>
       ```
   
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [How To List Posts in Category X?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-list-posts-in-category-x/)
 *  [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [18 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-list-posts-in-category-x/#post-809307)
 * You can do it without a plugin if you want. Just some code based on the following
   to the template where you want the list appearing…
 *     ```
       <?php query_posts('category_name=work&showposts=5'); ?>
       <ul>
       <?php if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>
       <li><?php the_title(); ?></li>
       <?php endwhile; ?>
       </ul>
       <?php endif; ?>
       ```
   
 * that will show the first 5 posts from a category called ‘work’. Not exactly what
   you asked for in your question, but it’s definitely how to just ‘List Posts in
   Category X’ 🙂
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [Allow users to edit their own comments on any post they commented on.](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/allow-users-to-edit-their-own-comments-on-any-post-they-commented-on/)
 *  Thread Starter [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [19 years, 3 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/allow-users-to-edit-their-own-comments-on-any-post-they-commented-on/#post-584671)
 * Cheers 4K. I found that a few hours after I’d asked the question too 🙂 It looked
   promising at first and I think I’ll use it for a while but I forsee problems 
   if my site I’m working on takes off.
 * The WP AJAX Edit function works by checking the IP address of the user, not the
   username.
 * If all goes well people from various academic places, university courses etc,
   will be registering on my site. And I’m not entirely sure but I think a lot of
   them, say a bunch of people from a specific university, may all have the same
   apprant IP address? That means they’ll be able to edit each others comments and
   that’s deffinitely something I don’t want 🙂
 * In the short term I think I’ll use it though.
 * But for the long term, does anyone know of any hacks that work by checking the
   username and not the IP address?
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [Can I have sub-directories for each registered user in /wp-content/uploads/ ?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/can-i-have-sub-directories-for-each-registered-user-in-wp-contentuploads/)
 *  Thread Starter [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [19 years, 3 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/can-i-have-sub-directories-for-each-registered-user-in-wp-contentuploads/#post-582017)
 * I folks. No replies so I’m guessing there were no ideas? I figured it was worth
   at least one bump up to the top though to try give it another chance?
 * Here’s hoping…!
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [User must pay or purchase credits before they’re allowed to submit a new post?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/user-must-pay-or-purchase-credits-before-theyre-allowed-to-submit-a-new-post/)
 *  Thread Starter [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [19 years, 3 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/user-must-pay-or-purchase-credits-before-theyre-allowed-to-submit-a-new-post/#post-581200)
 * I’ve also found this plugin called [WPB-PayPal 2.1 you can buy for $25](http://shop.wpboard.com/_catalog/wordpress_plugins/_wpb-paypal_2.1),
   which seems to me like it has a few more features.
 * Anyone tried this one vs the EasyPayPal one in the past?
 * I’ve just tried the EasyPayPal one and while it is a fantastic plugin there was
   one bug which means I can’t use it for what I want until it’s fixed. I’ve emailed
   the author so I’ll let you know what happens. Maybe I was just using it wrong
   🙂
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Multiple users – only allow them to see their own posts when logged in?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/multiple-users-only-allow-them-to-see-their-own-posts-when-logged-in/)
 *  Thread Starter [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [19 years, 3 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/multiple-users-only-allow-them-to-see-their-own-posts-when-logged-in/#post-581195)
 * To be honest I don’t think it matters. But I’m probably very wrong about that
   🙂
 * I’m deffinitely no coder so I tried it in a few different places, and it seemed
   to work just as well wherever I put it.
 * As long as it’s somewhere between the `<?php require_once('admin.php');` at the
   top of the file and above the `<?php include('admin-footer.php');?>` at the bottom
   it looks like it works.
 * I ended up putting it just beneath the line of code that says `wp('what_to_show
   =posts&posts_per_page=15&posts_per_archive_page=-1');`
 * Hope that helps!
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Multiple users – only allow them to see their own posts when logged in?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/multiple-users-only-allow-them-to-see-their-own-posts-when-logged-in/)
 *  Thread Starter [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [19 years, 3 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/multiple-users-only-allow-them-to-see-their-own-posts-when-logged-in/#post-581163)
 * Cheers for the advice guys. Role Manager looks useful and I may end up using 
   on my project anyway now I know it exists, but it didn’t limit the view in the‘
   Manage’ tab to just the posts that the logged in user had created.
 * I found this though after some more digging, all you need to do is add this into
   the edit.php file…
 *     ```
       if (!current_user_can('edit_others_posts'))
       $author = $user_ID;
       ```
   
 * And it works perfectly, If I log in as user1 I can only see posts I’ve created
   as user1!
 * I found it here [http://wordpress.org/support/topic/96045?replies=4](http://wordpress.org/support/topic/96045?replies=4)
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [User must pay or purchase credits before they’re allowed to submit a new post?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/user-must-pay-or-purchase-credits-before-theyre-allowed-to-submit-a-new-post/)
 *  Thread Starter [monkeyfight](https://wordpress.org/support/users/monkeyfight/)
 * (@monkeyfight)
 * [19 years, 3 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/user-must-pay-or-purchase-credits-before-theyre-allowed-to-submit-a-new-post/#post-581144)
 * Ma8thew, that EasyPayPal plugin looks like it may be perfect for what I need!
   Good find, and thank you very very much 🙂
 * If anyone else has any other suggestions though I’d still love to hear them.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)