Title: Mike Carter's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# Mike Carter

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

1 [2](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)
[→](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)

 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WP Mail Logging] Email Protected](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/email-protected-3/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 days, 6 hours ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/email-protected-3/#post-19038028)
 * Hi [@darshanaw](https://wordpress.org/support/users/darshanaw/),
 * Thanks for clearing that up! Yes, I do use Cloudflare and never enabled the Email
   Obfuscation feature, but they are always implementing new features without telling
   us or changing the interface for their dashboard. Thanks for the detailed notes.
   I will try the second option to see if it’s possible to only obfuscate emails
   on the public side.
 * Mike
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WooCommerce Tax (formerly WooCommerce Shipping & Tax)] Jetpack Connection Health Warning](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-warning/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [4 days, 21 hours ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-warning/#post-19035972)
 * Thanks for looking into it. Yes, I already tried reviewing **Security Events**
   in Cloudflare for xmlrpc.php, but couldn’t find any. I did quite a bit of debugging
   prior to contacting support.
 * Yes, it’s possible one of the Cloudflare security challenges could be causing
   an issue, but the error response does appear (I’ve actually tested this) to originate
   from my own web server, not from the edge network/firewall, and it’s a 405 response,
   not a 403. Is it possible that WordPress.com/Jetpack is sending a bad request,
   and that I may need to reconnect to the Jetpack service again?
 * Also, do you know if this **alternate_xmlrpc()** method is compatible with WordPress?
 * **_Here is the original post, so it’s easier for you to investigate the code 
   and see exactly which line in IXR\_Server is triggering the error response:_**
 * I narrowed it down to the version of Jetpack 9.1.2 that is included with Woo 
   Tax. In my case, xmlrpc.php is not being blocked and Automattic’s APN and IP’s
   are both whitelisted. The trouble seems to be that WordPress.com is making a 
   GET request to my server that triggers a method called **alternate_xmlrpc()**.
   I have narrowed it down to these lines in Jetpack’s class-manager.php (lines 
   263:278):
 *     ```wp-block-code
       // Alternate XML-RPC, via ?for=jetpack&jetpack=comms.		// phpcs:ignore WordPress.Security.NonceVerification.Recommended -- This just determines whether to handle the request as an XML-RPC request. The actual XML-RPC endpoints do the appropriate nonce checking where applicable. Plus we make sure to clear all cookies via require_jetpack_authentication called later in method.		if ( isset( $_GET['jetpack'] ) && 'comms' === $_GET['jetpack'] ) {			if ( ! Constants::is_defined( 'XMLRPC_REQUEST' ) ) {				// Use the real constant he// Alternate XML-RPC, via ?for=jetpack&jetpack=comms.re for WordPress' sake.				define( 'XMLRPC_REQUEST', true );			}			add_action( 'template_redirect', array( $this, 'alternate_xmlrpc' ) );			add_filter( 'xmlrpc_methods', array( $this, 'remove_non_jetpack_xmlrpc_methods' ), 1000 );		}		if ( ! Constants::get_constant( 'XMLRPC_REQUEST' ) ) {			return false;		}
       ```
   
 * The resulting handler in the WordPress IXR library rejects the request with a
   405 response, because it is expecting a POST instead. It sounds like this code
   was added as a workaround for servers who block xmlrpc.php, but it doesn’t appear
   to be functioning correctly. Woo Tax is working fine, and it is able to access
   the API for receiving tax data without problems. The warning seems to be a false
   alert. Here are the lines in IXR_Server that trigger the error (lines 39:59):
 *     ```wp-block-code
       function serve($data = false)    {        if (!$data) {            if (isset($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD']) && $_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] !== 'POST') {                if ( function_exists( 'status_header' ) ) {                    status_header( 405 ); // WP #20986                    header( 'Allow: POST' );                }                header('Content-Type: text/plain'); // merged from WP #9093                die('XML-RPC server accepts POST requests only.');            }            $data = file_get_contents('php://input');        }        $this->message = new IXR_Message($data);        if (!$this->message->parse()) {            $this->error(-32700, 'parse error. not well formed');        }        if ($this->message->messageType != 'methodCall') {            $this->error(-32600, 'server error. invalid xml-rpc. not conforming to spec. Request must be a methodCall');        }        $result = $this->call($this->message->methodName, $this->message->params);
       ```
   
 * [Expand](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-check-warning/#)
 * I’m testing with WordPress 7.1.1 and Woo Tax 3.6.16
 * Have your engineers tested Woo Tax with WordPress 7.1.x and does the request 
   GET request from WordPress.com _?for=jetpack&jetpack=comms_ actually return a
   successful 200 response?
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WooCommerce Tax (formerly WooCommerce Shipping & Tax)] Jetpack Connection Health Warning](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-warning/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [1 week ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-warning/#post-19034219)
 * Any update on this? Were you able to view the status report?
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WooCommerce Tax (formerly WooCommerce Shipping & Tax)] Jetpack Connection Health Warning](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-warning/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [1 week, 3 days ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-warning/#post-19031426)
 * Here is the status report:
 * [https://pastebin.com/zujddfLQ](https://pastebin.com/zujddfLQ)
 * **Connection Error Warning (Displayed in Site Health):**
 * A healthy Jetpack Connection allows connected plugins (such as Jetpack and WooCommerce)
   to provide features like Stats, Site Security, and Payments.
 * Error WordPress.com reached your site but the request was blocked (HTTP 405).
   This is usually caused by a firewall, security plugin, or server rule rejecting
   requests from WordPress.com.
 * **Ask your host or security provider to allow requests from WordPress.com to 
   your site’s xmlrpc.php file. Reconnecting will not resolve this. If you need 
   further help, contact Jetpack support.**
 * [Please contact Jetpack support. (opens in a new tab)](https://jetpack.com/redirect/?source=jetpack-contact-support&site=www.kahoycrafts.com)
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WooCommerce Tax (formerly WooCommerce Shipping & Tax)] Jetpack Connection Health Warning](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-warning/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [1 week, 5 days ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-warning/#post-19030105)
 * Hi Shazeen,
 * Thanks for the workaround. I can definitely add that filter to functions.php 
   in the meantime.
 * Small correction: **IXR_Server** returns a **405 Not Allowed response**, not 
   a 403**.**
 * I’m unsure of the last time the jetpack connection health check produced a positive
   result, but I do know that xmlrpc.php is unblocked. I’ve tested this by observing
   my web server logs. Automattic’s APN and IP’s have both been whitelisted in Cloudflare’s
   WAF, and **I can see the Jetpack request being handled by Apache and PHP FPM 
   directly**. The 405 response is definitely coming from IXR_Server in the corresponding
   WordPess library and not from Cloudflare.
 * Do you have systems where this test is running correctly and xmlrpc.php is unblocked?
 * Thanks,
   Mike
    -  This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/).
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Customer Reviews for WooCommerce] WordPress 7.1.1 Compatibility](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-7-1-1-compatibility/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [1 week, 5 days ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-7-1-1-compatibility/#post-19029795)
 * Hi Pear,
 * Sorry for the delay. I had to wait for the off hours to be able to test on the
   live site. Here are the results for the customer review form:
   **WordPress 7.1.2**–
   image upload works okay, but form submit to admin-ajax.php returns a 403 response**
   WordPress 7.1** – image upload and form submit both work
 * Is there a way to share an image without a url? I don’t see an option to upload
   an image directly here.
 * It looks like I will have to uninstall the plugin since it’s not compatible with
   the current version of WordPress. I like to keep WordPress updated, and most 
   of my plugins are auto-updated.
 * _It seems like this topic should not have been marked as resolved yet._
 * Thanks,
 * Mike
    -  This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/).
    -  This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/).
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WooCommerce] Jetpack Connection Health Check Warning](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-check-warning/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 weeks ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-connection-health-check-warning/#post-19028675)
 * Thanks Gabriel, I’m still receiving the same warning with WooCommerce Tax 3.7.0
   installed. I have posted a link to the same topic in the WooCommerce Services
   forum to see if anyone has any ideas. I don’t think the warning is affecting 
   any functionality, it’s mostly an annoyance.
    -  This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/).
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Customer Reviews for WooCommerce] WordPress 7.1.1 Compatibility](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-7-1-1-compatibility/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 weeks ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-7-1-1-compatibility/#post-19028547)
 * No, I meant I clicked on the link in the review reminder email, but because I
   had previously left a review, it shows an edit button instead.
 * I will send out a new email reminder and test it again this evening.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Customer Reviews for WooCommerce] WordPress 7.1.1 Compatibility](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-7-1-1-compatibility/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 weeks ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/wordpress-7-1-1-compatibility/#post-19027862)
 * Hi Pear,
 * Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it seems to be working with WordPress version
   7.1.2. Because I already posted a test review to my website, I used the edit 
   review link. Is that basically the same thing?
 * Mike
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WooCommerce Tax (formerly WooCommerce Shipping & Tax)] WooCommerce Tax 3.6.16 XML-RPC warning despite a successful tax request](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/woocommerce-tax-3-6-16-xml-rpc-warning-despite-a-successful-tax-request/)
 *  [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 weeks, 1 day ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/woocommerce-tax-3-6-16-xml-rpc-warning-despite-a-successful-tax-request/#post-19026748)
 * Hi,
 * I’m also encountering the same issue with the Woo Tax plugin and see the following
   warning:
 * _WordPress.com requests to your site are being blocked, usually by a firewall
   or security rule. See Site Health for details and next steps. [Visit Site Health](https://www.kahoycrafts.com/wp-admin/site-health.php)_
 * I narrowed it down to the same version of Jetpack 9.1.2. In my case, xmlrpc.php
   is not being blocked and Automattic’s APN and IP’s are both whitelisted. The 
   trouble seems to be that WordPress.com is making a GET request to my server that
   triggers a method called **alternate_xmlrpc()**. I have narrowed it down to these
   lines in Jetpack’s class-manager.php:
 *     ```wp-block-code
       // Alternate XML-RPC, via ?for=jetpack&jetpack=comms.		// phpcs:ignore WordPress.Security.NonceVerification.Recommended -- This just determines whether to handle the request as an XML-RPC request. The actual XML-RPC endpoints do the appropriate nonce checking where applicable. Plus we make sure to clear all cookies via require_jetpack_authentication called later in method.		if ( isset( $_GET['jetpack'] ) && 'comms' === $_GET['jetpack'] ) {			if ( ! Constants::is_defined( 'XMLRPC_REQUEST' ) ) {				// Use the real constant here for WordPress' sake.				define( 'XMLRPC_REQUEST', true );			}			add_action( 'template_redirect', array( $this, 'alternate_xmlrpc' ) );			add_filter( 'xmlrpc_methods', array( $this, 'remove_non_jetpack_xmlrpc_methods' ), 1000 );		}		if ( ! Constants::get_constant( 'XMLRPC_REQUEST' ) ) {			return false;		}
       ```
   
 * The resulting handler in the WordPress IXR library rejects the request with a
   405 response, because it is expecting a POST instead. It sounds like this code
   was added as a workaround for servers who block xmlrpc.php, but it doesn’t appear
   to be functioning correctly. Woo Tax is working fine, and it is able to access
   the API for receiving tax data without problems. The warning seems to be a false
   alert. Here are the lines in IXR_Server that trigger the error:
 *     ```wp-block-code
       function serve($data = false)    {        if (!$data) {            if (isset($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD']) && $_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] !== 'POST') {                if ( function_exists( 'status_header' ) ) {                    status_header( 405 ); // WP #20986                    header( 'Allow: POST' );                }                header('Content-Type: text/plain'); // merged from WP #9093                die('XML-RPC server accepts POST requests only.');            }            $data = file_get_contents('php://input');        }        $this->message = new IXR_Message($data);
       ```
   
 * I’m testing with WordPress 7.1.1 and Woo Tax 3.6.16
    -  This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/).
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Contact Form 7] Hooks and i18n JS includes](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-and-i18n-js-includes/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-and-i18n-js-includes/#post-17953100)
 * Yes, I believe `wp_deregister_script( 'wp-i18n' )` will remove wp-hooks as well,
   and provided that another plugin isn’t using it.
 * Try placing that function call inside of a `wp_enqueue_scripts` action.
 * Hope that helps!
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Contact Form 7] Hooks and i18n JS includes](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-and-i18n-js-includes/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-and-i18n-js-includes/#post-17946363)
 * In my case, I’m unable to deregister that script, because apparently woocommerce
   is using wp-i18n for a block that involves stripe payments.
 * Funny that CF7 seems to have a call to load that script as well.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Contact Form 7] Hooks and i18n JS includes](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-and-i18n-js-includes/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-and-i18n-js-includes/#post-17946358)
 * No, I did not, but adding the following to the functions.php file of your theme
   does prevent that script from being loaded:
 * `wp_deregister_script( 'wp-i18n' );`
 * I tested this, and my contact form is still submitted successfully. You may want
   to be careful in case it breaks something else. I really don’t know why that 
   particular script is being loaded by CF7, but assuming there is some reason for
   it?
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Contact Form 7] Hooks and i18n JS includes](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-and-i18n-js-includes/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 years, 2 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/hooks-and-i18n-js-includes/#post-17931867)
 * Hi Takayuki,
 * Thanks! Yes, that might be useful.
 * I’m specifically curious about this change to index.asset.php
 * [https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset?old_path=%2Fcontact-form-7&old=3103416&new_path=%2Fcontact-form-7&new=3130500&sfp_email=&sfph_mail=](https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/changeset?old_path=%2Fcontact-form-7&old=3103416&new_path=%2Fcontact-form-7&new=3130500&sfp_email=&sfph_mail=)
 * Do you know why the dependency for wp-i18n was added? I’m not using any sort 
   of internationalization in my contact forms and would prefer not to load that
   script on pages that use a contact form.
 * Mike
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[WooPayments: Integrated WooCommerce Payments] CC Field is Disabled on iPhone](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/cc-field-is-disabled-on-iphone/)
 *  Thread Starter [Mike Carter](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/)
 * (@mcarter76)
 * [2 years, 3 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/cc-field-is-disabled-on-iphone/#post-17830937)
 * I wanted to follow up on this issue. It seemed to be temporarily resolved but
   later resurfaced.
 * Things we tried or tested, that did not work:
    1. Switching to the Storefront theme
    2. Disabling all optional plugins
 * What finally worked was switching to a different Stripe payment plugin. The majority
   of my customers are on iPhones, so it’s definitely not a bug I can live with.
   Hope this issue can be resolved in a future release of WooPayments. I’d be willing
   to give it another go at a future point.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

1 [2](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)
[→](https://wordpress.org/support/users/mcarter76/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)