Title: Martyn_'s Replies | WordPress.org

---

# Martyn_

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

1 [2](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)
[→](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)

 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[BuddyPress Links] BuddyPress 1.8 Compatible ?](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/buddypress-18-compatible/)
 *  [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [12 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/buddypress-18-compatible/#post-4347857)
 * Plugin seems to have died at 1.8 for me 🙁
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[GEO my WP] Database error on search form](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/database-error-on-search-form/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [12 years, 10 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/database-error-on-search-form/#post-4363422)
 * Great, thanks!
 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Better package management for plugins….](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/better-package-management-for-plugins/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/better-package-management-for-plugins/#post-4134363)
 * I’m not sure I follow… I use subversion to revision control my site, not as a
   way to conveniently grab updates from external sources.
 * I could set various plugin directories to be external, but that wouldn’t help
   if I make local bugfixes etc.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[BP Profile Search] search returns all members after using pagination controls](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/page/2/#post-3996993)
 * Hmmm I think that fixed it 🙂
 * Many thanks!
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[BP Profile Search] search returns all members after using pagination controls](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/page/2/#post-3996992)
 * Will check it out!!!
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[BP Profile Search] search returns all members after using pagination controls](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/page/2/#post-3996990)
 * Now here’s a thing.
 * My (apparently) conflicting component is cometchat 5.1. If I disable jQuery in
   that the problem goes away.
 * I updated to the 3.5.1 code, leaving cometchat/jquery on, the problem now only
   occurs on every second search performed.
 * [@fogarty](https://wordpress.org/support/users/fogarty/) I doubt that our two
   issues are related, but could you confirm that 1/ doing a search, 2/ flicking
   through the pagination tabs 3/ going back to your search form and submitting 
   a new search 4/ use the pagination tabs again in the 2nd search works as expected?
 * Meanwhile the theme author has suggested that a tweak to the theme is needed.
   I’m still a bit confused!!!
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[BP Profile Search] search returns all members after using pagination controls](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/#post-3996968)
 * Mkay – I have isolated the working/not working critical ingredient to a “not 
   plugin” loaded from the header – consequently suspect some kind of jQuery version
   issue or similar…
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Category ID's and permalinks.](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/category-ids-and-permalinks/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/category-ids-and-permalinks/#post-4100082)
 * Bug or design deficiency. The behaviour makes it impossible to amend the way 
   a site works after its initially constructed – that is poor design.
 * I can see other people running into this with google, so I would appreciate to
   hear what others think…
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Category ID's and permalinks.](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/category-ids-and-permalinks/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/category-ids-and-permalinks/#post-4100080)
 * OK the problem:
 * I have a populated site with one default category (A) and a permalink structure
   using %category%. I want to add a second category (B) (whether a child or not
   makes no difference here). Initially all posts are in A, and new posts might 
   be in A,B, or Both. The behaviour I observe;
 * If a post is in A the permalink is /A.
    If a post is ONLY in B the permalink 
   is in /B If a post is in A and B the permalink is in /A (I want /B here).
 * If I make B a child of A the permalink is always A (It should be /A/B)
 * In order to make an A+B post appear with permalink B, the ID order of the categories
   needs reversing. WordPress provides no tool for doing that, or migrating posts
   between categories, so with out an external tool I am stuffed.
 * I would suggest that the requirement for ID ordering to properly represent a 
   hierarchical permalink is a bug – the site should not behave differently based
   on the ID values of the categories, but solely on the hierarchy defined in the
   dashboard. In the case of a flat structure, WP provides no tools for changing
   the behaviour as to which category takes priority in determining the permalink
   because its using a DB key which can’t be changed.
 * I hope that makes sense!
 * The reason for needing this change on my site is because some tools and a fair
   few wordpress plugins use directory based controls.
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Category ID's and permalinks.](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/category-ids-and-permalinks/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/category-ids-and-permalinks/#post-4100070)
 * [@esmi](https://wordpress.org/support/users/esmi/) Thanks. However the question
   isn’t really how to find them – I know that the order they are in breaks what
   I want to do. the question is how to fix it in a sane way – the consequences 
   of switching them with a db editor are unclear (and using a db editor directly
   quite frankly gives me the heeby jeebies anyway).
 * Is it better to create a new category structure and try something like [http://wordpress.org/plugins/bulk-move/](http://wordpress.org/plugins/bulk-move/)?
   Would that be a safer approach?
 * Should WP not provide a bulk move function if the category ID is so hardwired
   to how the site behaves?
 *   Forum: [Fixing WordPress](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/how-to-and-troubleshooting/)
   
   In reply to: [Category ID's and permalinks.](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/category-ids-and-permalinks/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/category-ids-and-permalinks/#post-4100066)
 * References:
 * [http://wordpress.org/support/topic/subcategories-not-showing-up-in-uri-with-pretty-permalinks?replies=5](http://wordpress.org/support/topic/subcategories-not-showing-up-in-uri-with-pretty-permalinks?replies=5)
 * Whist the woedpress codex [http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks](http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks)
   states:
 * “When you assign multiple categories to a post, only one can show up in the permalink.
   This will be the lowest numbered category (see Manage Categories). The post will
   still be accessible through all the categories as normal.”
 * But fails to provide a means of acheiving the required numbering – the dashboard
   interface for managing categories makes no mention of the associated number.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[BP Profile Search] search returns all members after using pagination controls](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/#post-3996961)
 * Its looking theme related – With a small user count DB, I wasn’t able to reproduce
   the issue at all, but with my fully loaded DB I can reproduce simply with. buddypress
   1.8 and search 3.4.1 .
 * With just those loaded;
 * bp-columns and bp-mag demonstrate the problem
    2012 and bp-default are OK
 * I tried taking the members/ templaces from bp-default to bp-mag but the problem
   is still present.
 * The pagination href generated by default and 2012 are wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?
   upage=2 , where bp-mag pagination are links to /members/?upage=2 I am guessing
   this is close to the root of the problem.
 * Do you have access to bp-mag (buddydev)?
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[BP Profile Search] search returns all members after using pagination controls](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/search-returns-all-members-after-using-pagination-controls/#post-3996958)
 * Its proving tricky… a trivial construction doesn’t reproduce it.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[BP Profile Search] Changing "sort by" Field in Search result drops search filters](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/changing-sort-by-field-in-search-result-drops-search-filters/)
 *  [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/changing-sort-by-field-in-search-result-drops-search-filters/#post-4036809)
 * Though the x-post did bring this to my attention. 🙂
 * I did try to create a test environment, though admittedly only with 35 users,
   and couldn’t reproduce the pagination issue (or by changing the sort order). 
   I did use WP 3.6 though where the other site is 3.5.2.
 * Is there an easy script anywhere to inject a large number of synthetic users?
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Better WordPress Minify] Better WordPress Minify breaks fancy editor](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/better-wordpress-minify-breaks-fancy-editor/)
 *  Thread Starter [Martyn_](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/)
 * (@martyn_)
 * [13 years, 1 month ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/better-wordpress-minify-breaks-fancy-editor/#post-3923466)
 * Yes – TinyMCE as shipped with WP (3.5.2). I haven’t looked at 3.6 yet.
 * I also mean the use of the editor as the bbPress frontend editor rather than 
   in the dashboard (if that was unclear).

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

1 [2](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)
[→](https://wordpress.org/support/users/martyn_/replies/page/2/?output_format=md)