Title: hdweb's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# hdweb

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

 *   Forum: [Requests and Feedback](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/requests-and-feedback/)
   
   In reply to: [Please use relative URLs in the WordPress database](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/please-use-relative-urls-in-the-wordpress-database/)
 *  [hdweb](https://wordpress.org/support/users/hdweb/)
 * (@hdweb)
 * [10 years, 9 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/please-use-relative-urls-in-the-wordpress-database/#post-6843419)
 * Hi,
 * Otto, I found this [thread](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/using-relative-instead-of-absolute-links-for-images)
   from many years ago in which you also neg’d on relative URLs.
 * There are many, many other posts about this issue as well. Google brings up *
   a lot* of hits showing that there are *a lot* of people that have found this 
   problem irritating for many, many years. After so many years and millions of 
   google results, it does appear that people have a legitimate concern. Perhaps
   all those users and developers from year after year may have a point.
 * The serialized data problem in WP means that a search and replace for an absolute
   URL will break many parts of a WP site. Users and developers understand there
   are tools and methods for handling this, but they are workarounds for a problem
   that is easy to solve – rklrkl has provided an elegant solution. Instead of dismissing
   it out of hand, let’s have a real discussion.
 * I understand that personal attacks are a problem – but setting that aside there
   are still valid points to discuss. Much of what rklrkl’s posts brought up were
   not discussed.
 * Otto, I don’ think it’s useful to say “The simple fact is that absolute URLs 
   work better for the reasons I have already stated” — unless you explain *why*
   the reasons you stated make sense.
 * A fairly standard workflow in IT is to work in dev, move it to UAT, move it to
   staging, and then to production. There are variations on this theme, but the 
   general idea is the same. This is not an unusual workflow at all.
 * To suggest that everyone should work in the same fashion, or use a “hosts” file
   ignores workflows that a lot of folks have to use. I develop on a shared server
   with other people – changing a hosts file isn’t a possibility. Nor is copying
   everything to a local machine.
 * Is there a solution for development workflow that doesn’t require a lot of manual
   work or clunky tools? How do I implement automated builds in WordPress?
 * Other folks have valid experiences as well and work under different constraints.
   A “my way or the highway” approach doesn’t allow for growth and learning. If 
   you have a good developmental workflow for WordPress, I’m all ears.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)