Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Well Peter, I’m in and out of GA all day long and Google details the required code and migration steps. So recapping (for the broader WP audience):

    1) Google has it documented.

    2) There is an exposed hook in All-in-One for it.

    3) The hook produces no results.

    Given #2 and #3, at very least I suggest All-in-One remove the option. If it doesn’t work (for any reason) don’t present it to users.

    That being said, having been a systems programmer and having worked on the periphery of the of the Google ecosystem, I seriously doubt it is a Google failure. They tend not to publish pages of detailed documentation for a service they do not offer.

    Doubling down. Several updates later, and this is still not working. Do not use UA because there will be no tracking inside Google Analytics … nada, nothing.

    Tried to contact the company who makes this plugin and they basically wanted me to subscribe for support before telling me if this was broken or not. I was temped to buy the pro version before, but not openly reporting bugs or features is a very bad sign.

    I’ll add to the discussion.

    Been using SEO Pack for a long time. Decided to move one site to Universal Analytics (to get the demographic info). Added Google Analytics ID and checked “Use Universal Analytics”.

    Examining the page source code shows none of what Google specifies as necessary, namely:

    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://' : 'http://') + 'stats.g.doubleclick.net/dc.js';

    Going to uncheck the option as I’m not seeing the Classic ga.js code either.

    RESOLVED:

    Given lighter weekend traffic I tried a few Hail Mary plays including

    • Auto update
    • Theme tweaks
    • Manual update and finally …
    • A cold install from scratch (purge entire blog directory), hand copying in enhancements
    • That last one did it, removing whatever funkydo was left over from prior WP versions. Up until now the standard WP updates have worked fine (both auto and the manual), so I don’t know what error was induced on this site. For previous version I had done both auto and manual for this particular site, so I suspect one missing error check in an earlier auto-update (but that is pure speculation).

    @esmi

    Some folks don’t read threads ;->

    Two separate WP blogs on the same server — one works, one doesn’t. Both using the same server/settings. All other WP functions working well even on the one with the bad feed.

    @esmi

    Hmmm. What chin to modify. There is no /feed directory nor the aforementioned rss/index_rss2.xml, so there is nothing to modify (assuming it is a redirect). What dirs/files need chmod?

    @esmi

    Let’s roll with this suggestion. files/directories would be affected and what should their permissions be? Snap to chmod them if I know which ones to tweak.

    Was getting a 403, but I started comparing my two separate blog sites and noticed an oddity here. There was a soft link (feed -> rss/index_rss2.xml) in the bad site that wasn’t in the good site. As an experiment, I renamed it given that there was no rss/index_rss2.xml file.

    I’ have renamed it back for the time being.

    Addendum: I have a different blog under a different domain on the same server and using the same WP version (and most of the same plugins). The RSS feed works fine there.

    So, having eliminated themes, plugins and install files, where else might the problem reside?

    Nope, not the issue.

    “Error 403” … only occuring on rss2 and atom feeds. The rest of the site is humming along. Seems to be a bug in WP redirect (since there is no /feed directory). I’ll note that the altenate feed link (http://www.siliconstrat.com/blog/?feed=rss2) redirects to /blog/feed/ and produces the same error.

    Sorry. Buried in the link provided. Renaming ‘plugins’ … nada.

    Deactivating plugins … nada.
    Themes … nada.
    Fresh load … already done.
    Resetting plugins folder … description of process lacks specificity.

    Yep. The most basic, switching back to default theme … nada.

    The recent upgrade (about a month or two ago) was a fresh download upgrade.

    Now, during that upgrade, I did disable/enable all plugins for a different problem … have not tried for this one as I’m waiting for diagnostics and/or explanation of the comment/feed differentiation (too many years in IT has taught me not to chase ghosts).

    Resting folder instruction made no sense.

    None of the suggestion (all tried in various ways over various upgrade) explain why the comment feed works but the rss2 and atom feeds do not.

    @esmi – As noted above, I did try that (blbker may still be working on it). Since I’m running on a shared server, I only can try the htaccess approach (php_value memory_limit 32M), and that generates server internal errors (500).

    What I do find odd is that I did not encounter this problem upgrading another blog site on the same server using the same version of PHP. Grants, the hosting service might have tweaked something between upgrades, but that is doubtful.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)