Title: devonhg's Replies | WordPress.org

---

# devonhg

  [  ](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)

 *   [Profile](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 *   [Topics Started](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/topics/)
 *   [Replies Created](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/replies/)
 *   [Reviews Written](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/reviews/)
 *   [Topics Replied To](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/replied-to/)
 *   [Engagements](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/engagements/)
 *   [Favorites](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/favorites/)

 Search replies:

## Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/page/2/#post-5373659)
 * It’s a great plugin, the only issue I have with it is that the title error does
   not specify that it’s checking multiple files, it’s a beginners trap.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Theme Check] TITLE tag check issue](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/#post-5344209)
 * Actually now that I think about it I wouldn’t think that the check has any business
   checking an XML file, we need to discuss this with the author on whether XML 
   files should be ignored.
 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/page/2/#post-5373652)
 * I’m glad we figured this out Samuel. An update that at the very least listed 
   the number of files found that contain title would do wonders in clarifying that
   fact, there was no way for me to know just from the error that it checked all
   files in the directory. Wouldn’t be that hard add a counter to it, I would do
   it myself but I don’t want to step on your toes.
 * Either way though, wonderful plugin. Glad you guys built it. That online theme
   checker though, themecheck.org, something really useful that it does is check
   for optional files and lets you know if you don’t have them. If you could implement
   that in your plugin that would be amazing.
 * Thank you Samuel, happy coding!
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Theme Check] TITLE tag check issue](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/#post-5344208)
 * Given what I’ve found on the check, it refers to ALL <title> tags in your theme
   at the same time, not one specific title. That really needs to be clarified in
   the error.
 * I would assume for the sake keeping a theme simple and straightforward that having
   only one title tag in your entire theme would be most efficient, going on the
   DRY principle, since there is no reason for a page to have more than one title
   tag, and wordpress obviously has the capability to handle generating titles within
   a tag.
 * As far as iframes go I’m not a fan of them but I can’t speak for compatability
   with them and this plugin or even wordpress.
 * As far as the XML document goes, to get around this you make your own tags in
   xml right? Just do a search-replace and rename all your <title> tags to <x-title
   > then make sure your calls to the file refer to <x-title>? Otherwise just make
   sure all of your title tags contain the wp_title function.
 * Just some suggestions, I would definitely await input from the author.
 * Happy coding!
 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/#post-5373632)
 * I found the solution, [https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue?replies=12#post-6106840](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue?replies=12#post-6106840)
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Theme Check] TITLE tag check issue](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/#post-5344203)
 * Alright, so I found the solution.
 * I dove into your plugin and edited the title.php check to echo the file locations
   that they were checking, it returned two files.
 * header.php
    header(copy).php
 * Your check goes accross the files, yes but this has clearly lead to some serious
   confusion, I had assumed it only checked active or official files. I deleted 
   my backup of my header and it passed. I overlooked it because it wasn’t used 
   in any way so I didn’t think it was relevant.
 * I would recomend either refining the check or simply outputing the locations 
   of the found title tags to save this heartache in the future.
 * Your code is well structured and documented, It was neat seeing how it all worked.
 * Best regards.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Theme Check] TITLE tag check issue](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/#post-5344202)
 * Alright, well Samuel in the other topic as you might have read I have rigorsly
   dug through my code and searched for any other title tags, there are none. I 
   can even send you the theme files if you want and you can run a search on all
   the files yourself if you wish. Otherwise though your help has been apprciated
   and your plugin has been fantastic for making sure I’ve got all my bases covered
   as I learn wordpress.
 * In the meantime I’m going to keep at this issue. I will post updates here as 
   I figure things out, I’m running the check on an xampp local server so my next
   step I’m uploading it to my website and running the check again live.
 * Something you can help with now though, is there a check for if no title exists?
   Does it say “warning: Missing title tags” or something?
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Theme Check] TITLE tag check issue](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/#post-5344199)
 * [My theme passed here.](http://themecheck.org/score/wordpress_theme_devonscustom.htmlhttp://)
 * Alright Air, themecheck.org passed my theme just fine even though theme check
   was throwing this “title” error. Bug with theme checker?
 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/#post-5373627)
 * Update: I just checked at themecheck.org, it passed with flying colors.
 * [http://themecheck.org/score/wordpress_theme_devonscustom.html](http://themecheck.org/score/wordpress_theme_devonscustom.html)
 * bug?
 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/#post-5373626)
 * Update: I made the title function return 0 at all times, still returns the error.
 *   Forum: [Plugins](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/)
    In
   reply to: [[Theme Check] TITLE tag check issue](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/title-tag-check-issue/#post-5344198)
 * We actually have a discussion over [here](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem?replies=4#post-6103356)
   talking about the exact same issue.
 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/#post-5373625)
 * Here is my header, title tag re-inserted of course.
 *     ```
       <head>
       		<meta charset='<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>'>
       		<meta name='viewport' content='width=device-width'>
   
       		<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
   
       		<title><?php wp_title('|', true, 'right'); ?></title>
   
       		<meta name="description" content="">
       		<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
   
       		<script src="js/vendor/modernizr-2.6.2.min.js"></script>
   
       		<?php wp_head(); ?>
       	</head>
       ```
   
 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/#post-5373623)
 * Alright, so running on the presumtion that there is a rougue set of title tags
   somewhere I commented out the title tags in my header, and it still returns that
   error, even though there is no title whatsoever.
 * This is the odd thing though, the page itself of course has no title tags whatsoever,
   neither does any other files other than the header.php, which is the only file
   that has any business with that tag. To make even more sure I completely removed
   the code from the file saved and checked, still returned the error.
 * Using jedit, I searched all my files at once, making double sure that I combed
   everything. It occures only once in the header.php.
 * There is either more to this error than what we realize, or it’s a bug. Because
   it seems like no matter what with this theme it returns that error, regardless
   if the title tags even exists or not.
 * I appreciate all of your help, I really hope we can get to the bottom of this.
 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/#post-5373590)
 * Thank you catacaustic, but that is what I had before and is what caused me to
   copy/paste from the in the box theme in the first place. Thank you for your assistance
   though.
 * I also have the exact same function/filter as misharnet. It returned the error
   with one I found elsewhere as well.
 *   Forum: [Hacks](https://wordpress.org/support/forum/plugins-and-hacks/hacks/)
   
   In reply to: [Theme Check problem](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/)
 *  [devonhg](https://wordpress.org/support/users/devonhg/)
 * (@devonhg)
 * [11 years, 12 months ago](https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-check-problem/#post-5373544)
 * I am having this EXACT same issue with the “1. REQUIRED: The <title> tags can
   only contain a call to wp_title(). Use the wp_title filter to modify the output”,
   I am literally one error away from having this done.
 * I have the exact same code as misharnet in the title tag. I’ve copied the code
   from the twenty fourteen theme, both for <title> and the proper title function/
   filter to go with it, and it still returns error. The checker however still has
   no problem with the twenty fourteen theme itself which leads me to think that
   there is something going on outside of the <title> tag itself, contrary to what
   the error states.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)